post natal depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You see i have hidden behind a mask for sooooo long.. anyone you speak to about me will say" life and sole of the party, bubbly, none stop talker, and a great gal" but this is the person i would love to be but my mask is starting to crumble and the grummpy and angry feelings that i feel inside are slowly seeping though... i dont even think that my hubby knows who i really am cos i dont.. all i know is i want to be the person that every one see all the time and not just in frount of them.. just glad that people here understand, i think i will put a couple of you on my buddies list for those bad days.. any helppers??????

Count me in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel so much better that im not the only one and ladies you are all so brave dealing with this illness.
thank you loads for the treads.
mwah.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

...the question i want to ask is have any of you suffered from depression? wether it be post natal or just depression....
Hi Hun, the answer is yes from me too, like you, I used to take Seroxat for it, but found when I wanted to stop taking it, I had very nasty side effects which I never want to experience again.
I have since taken Oil of St.Johns Wort (anyone PM me if you want to know where you can buy it), which I found much more effective & fast acting than the tablet form, & way gentler, and again faster acting than anti-depressants. & NO side effects other than feeling a lot better :) .
Now that I'm preganant I'm using Homeopathy, I get my worst depression during & after pregnancy, I did'nt fancy it this time!
It is working really well, I highly recommend it.
:hug:

i think i will put a couple of you on my buddies list for those bad days.. any helppers??????

stick me on there hun, any time you want to let off steam, just pm, email or msn me !! i am online most of the time through the day :green: xx

stick me on there hun, any time you want to let off steam, just pm, email or msn me !! i am online most of the time through the day :green: xx
thanks hun:):)

You see i have hidden behind a mask for sooooo long.. anyone you speak to about me will say" life and sole of the party, bubbly, none stop talker, and a great gal" but this is the person i would love to be but my mask is starting to crumble and the grummpy and angry feelings that i feel inside are slowly seeping though... i dont even think that my hubby knows who i really am cos i dont.. all i know is i want to be the person that every one see all the time and not just in frount of them.. just glad that people here understand, i think i will put a couple of you on my buddies list for those bad days.. any helppers??????
count me in tooo babe.
xxxx:)

I'm so glad that this thread has been started. Like many of you I suffered from pnd after my first was born although she was over 6 months old before I screamed for help. However, it started with anxiety when she was days old and just grew and grew.

My gp put me on anti-depressants which helped loads, I become my old self again, maybe better than my old self, so I stopped taking them as I felt so good. A few months later was preggers with my 2nd and almost straight away the feelings came back. really struggled to get through the first trimester as gp wanted me to hold of tablets but as soon as I hit 13 weeks I was put back on them and stayed on them until sophia was about 10 months old.

Felt Ok for a little while and then it all came back again and have been on them for 4 months now. My gp says it will go away but part of me thinks that it 's with me forever just hanging on my back. I find i'm at my worst at the time of the month when I just switch off from the world.

I think the best thing is to try to be positive and when you are feeling low try and give yourself little goals, like have a bath and get dressed. it does help to pick me up. Also, to be honest with yourself. If you are feeling any of the things said in this thread, please do not suffer get help and get your life back.

Liz,

We are all here for you and if you ever need someone I'm always here.

Count me in too xx

Anxiety and depression can be helped BIG time by cutting out caffeine/alcohol/chocolate/white bread....

... keeping hydrated too is a big thing and making sure the body has enough food - regular meals.

It is astonishing how much the diet affects our moods (well, it's quite obvious that we will get out what we put in :lol: )!

Reiki/head massage and holistic therapies along with relaxation and meditation are much better than the pills - docs love giving the pills out but they are just masking the root of the problem!

Reiki/head massage and holistic therapies along with relaxation and meditation are much better than the pills - docs love giving the pills out but they are just masking the root of the problem!

I'm not being funny but this is very misleading, people that suffer from major depression can sometimes only recover from their illness by using medication-this is not a bad thing-the "pills" were designed for a reason and noone should b made to feel bad or stigmatised for using/needing to use them!
Would u tell someone with an ear infection not to take anti biotics coz all the drs wanna do is shut people up with pills these days?
Sometimes depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain-and anti depressents can help to get that balance back.
So don't anyone feel ashamed of having to take tablets-they are there to help
Sorry rant over i just hate it when people think u r bad for having to take pills!And when people tell u excercise is all u need!

Anxiety and depression can be helped BIG time by cutting out caffeine/alcohol/chocolate/white bread....

... keeping hydrated too is a big thing and making sure the body has enough food - regular meals.

It is astonishing how much the diet affects our moods (well, it's quite obvious that we will get out what we put in :lol: )!

god these are the things that keep me semi saine..lol.. i know these things are not good for me.. i dont drink alot of tea/coffee i drink herbal.. i dont eat that much bread or choc come to think of it but i dont think i could do without the alcholo.. no really i only have a glass or two at the most...

Sorry rant over i just hate it when people think u r bad for having to take pills!And when people tell u excercise is all u need!

Totally agree Caren. I believe all avenues to recovery should be explored but sometimes the best route to recovery is 'pills'. No-one should be ashamed of having depression or seeking help for it..... and telling someone to go to the gym or have a bath with lavender oil in isn't always helpful..... If you feel you're a failure anyway that sets you up for feeling worse if/when it doesn't solve the problem IMO.

Talking to the Dr has to be the best option - let the expert help.....

I agree ... we all know that leading a healthy lifestyle is better for us but a mental illness is just that...and needs to be treated as an illness and not just something that a bit of eating well can cure.

We are talking about a deep depression here, not just feeling a tad low...

Speaking to the right people is the only way....sadly with mental illness people don't always understand it cos they cant see it...its not bleeding or bruised, and for those who have never suffered with it can only say things like...have a night out to cheer you up, or try not to get stressed out....they don't understand it and for those that do suffer with it...ahhh if only it was that easy eh. x

I'm not being funny but this is very misleading, people that suffer from major depression can sometimes only recover from their illness by using medication-this is not a bad thing-the "pills" were designed for a reason and noone should b made to feel bad or stigmatised for using/needing to use them!
Would u tell someone with an ear infection not to take anti biotics coz all the drs wanna do is shut people up with pills these days?
Sometimes depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain-and anti depressents can help to get that balance back.

Heyyyyy I'm not telling anyone to stop taking the tablets but it is proven that true clinical depression is not that common - circumstantial depression IS very common - would we all feel so low if we won the lottery, had no bills to pay or lived in luxury in Barbados?

People are too quick to assume they have a medical condition and the doctors are well known for prescribing tablets that can do alot more damage - I went along to the doctors at the age of 16 and was prescribed Seroxat - then ended up in bed for a week feeling suicidal and scared right through my college term!

I have been on the tablets, was on Citalopram/Diazepam/Temazepam and was in a right mess if I ran out - but this was preferential to drinking half a bottle of whisky a night, to sleep!

I got pregnant and didn't take a thing, just stopped and was one of the very fortunate ones and when I looked into it all, I managed to help myself and continue to do so with breathing/relaxation and positive thinking.

Please don't think I am criticising anyone - I'm not, but I do KNOW that the tablets are given out too quickly without counselling and guidance, causing suicide and worse feelings of despair.

I needed the tablets at one time and if someone had taken them off me I would have been a very frightened lunatic! I had to learn by myself.

People should work out what is troubling them though - all too often we hear the words 'oh I'm so depressed' when true serious depression is often suffered in silence.

when i was diagnosed i was a bit werery about taking the pills as i told my mum about my depression, she told me not to take them as it will be on the doctors file and with having umerrah them might get social services involved. so i then had a chat with my friend and she said take the pills its the only thing that is going to make you better.
funny actually cos my mum suffered with post natal aand took bach rescue remedy, she swore by it.
my grandma also suffered with it too....
do you think its also a genetic thing???:rolleyes:

thanksxxxxx

There is a fair bit of misleading information on this thread wich only goes to back up what i said perviously about peeps who feel down declaring they are depressed,of course herbal remedies and exersise help them,they need picking up.

When in the grips of depression,there were times i could not manage to get washed,let alone go for a jog.

I so want people to realsise the difference,only then can depressiona be treated as a bonifide ilness.

People mistake being tearfull for no apparent reason as depression,not necesarily true.

Beleive it or not without the drugs i was in a daze,my eyes were blurred,i had no emotion ,no memory and no feelings ,all i wanted to do was feel,even anger would have done buti just couldn't.

My point is this,even if i have gone around the houses to get to it,unless you have been at the depths of despair or seen someone you care about just drift away,there personality gone and in replace a robot you can not possibly know or comment on what it is like,and this is exactly the reason depression is still taboo and kept as a deep dark secret the reason is

It is simply not understood !

A deep seated depression is NOT something you can snap out of by eating a healthy diet. A depression like this requires counselling, support and empathy and most often medication IS NECASSARY!!
Many antidepressants contain substances which correct the malfunctioning chemical pathways in the brain thus restoring ones sanity. They don't mask anything! Then once you can see 'the woods for the trees' you can deal with the more deep seated psychological problems surrounding the depression. Mental illness is a disease. Would you tell an epileptic to have some reiki and eat a healthy diet to solve a potentially serious medical condition?
Please think carefully before you post comments like this.

There is a fair bit of misleading information on this thread wich only goes to back up what i said perviously about peeps who feel down declaring they are depressed,of course herbal remedies and exersise help them,they need picking up.

I so want people to realsise the difference,only then can depressiona be treated as a bonifide ilness.

I totally agree - every other day people are declaring themselves as depressed because their boyfriend wont buy them the watch they want or they've gained 2lbs.... or they haven't got the money to go to Ibiza this time.... it really pisses me off.

True depression is such a severe and complex illness that can last years and years and go unnoticed by others, whilst the sufferer bears it in silence.

I would rather my leg be removed than go back to that hell - I mean that. Anxiety is a crippling illness. And Post Natal depression, I should imagine to be very frightening indeed.

A deep seated depression is NOT something you can snap out of by eating a healthy diet. A depression like this requires counselling, support and empathy and most often medication IS NECASSARY!!
Many antidepressants contain substances which correct the malfunctioning chemical pathways in the brain thus restoring ones sanity. They don't mask anything! Then once you can see 'the woods for the trees' you can deal with the more deep seated psychological problems surrounding the depression. Mental illness is a disease. Would you tell an epileptic to have some reiki and eat a healthy diet to solve a potentially serious medical condition?
Please think carefully before you post comments like this.

In Russia they do not have the money to give out anti depressants to everybody and Schizophrenia (severe mental illness) is controlled extremely well with exercise. Same in Germany - doctors prescribe St Johns Wort.

The NHS is at liberty to hand over the tablets without offering counselling.

And please read all my posts on this thread. I am sick of people picking and choosing which bones to chew on.

Latest posts

Back