Post-natal hair loss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facelashbrow

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks

I started to lose my hair after having my daughter when she was 3 months old. shes now 5months and I have really bad bald patches around my hairline and a receding hairline!! I am growing out a pixie cut and its currently about chin length, naturally its corkscrew curls which does kinda help hide it. Annoyingly I can no longer tie it up which I would for ease in the morning with 2 small children! The hair covering the big patch is getting thinner and less of it, theres now not much there hiding it-is there anything I can do? I have ordered a 3/4 hairpiece in the hope that it might help but I doubt it as its mostly on the hairline.
I tried to attach pics but it just shows the pic and says "cancel"!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Hi it can take up to 2years After giving birth for ur hair to get back on track, don't do anything to drastic like permanent hair extensions that will strain the hair, I would advise my clients to keep their hair shorter Untill all the new growth catches up an a fringe to help hide the hair line hope this helps!

You can also suffer from a form of alopecia following giving birth. My babies are 19 and 21 so it was a long time ago but I totally breastfed them so feel my immunity was probably very depleted. Hair loss was quite evident and lasted well over a year. My immune system was attacking the hair follicles. I had lots of investigations but no real solutions!

After about a year things slowly improved. I continued to breastfeed and stuck to a healthy diet. I think our bodies can go into shock after giving birth and it takes some time to settle. Hair improved and was eventually absolutely fine!

Trauma, shock, stress, grief, depression and illness can all play a part with hair loss.

Ironically I now have a lot of clients for reflexology and 2 of them are suffering quite extreme hair loss.

I found scarves useful!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am.also breastfeeding and have had a very stressful 3 months in my marriage...I coloured my hair today and noticed my naturally blonde roots were very grey for the first time ever! Its quite short and altho I am growing it out as its uneven (was shaved one side) I will keep it above shoulder height to try and help.

I did think that about extensions, do you think a 3/4 piece will be ok though as it's essentially a wig cap?

oh, and thankyou x

I would only use it when I have to to be honest, and not all the time

I'm not a hairdresser (so if I'm talking rubbish hairdressers, please say so!) but just wanted to say that I've been growing my hair out recently and have been using castor oil overnight in my hair a few times a week and have found it has dramatically changed the condition and strength of my hair and has also helped with growth. May be worth giving it a go as nourishing the scalp *should* help!

Really hope it all settles down and improves soon for you as I'm sure it's very difficult to deal with xxxx

Try nioxin and see if that's helps. You need to use it all the time (no grabbing your old shampoo in between).
There's different number systems for different hair types so you'll still have one for coloured hair etc.

http://m.nioxin.com/index.aspx

Latest posts

Back