Potential employer pooh pooh'd Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papillion

Reaction score
Just rang up about a job as a beauty therapist. The salon said they only do polish, they dont do l&p or gel as it 'wrecks nails'.

I said oh well I do Shellac. And got a moan down the phone and 'oh that stuff wrecks nails', to which I replied 'no it doesnt, Shellac is the best product on the market for looking after your nails and taking care of the natural nail' I couldnt help myself it popped out before I knew it! But this guy was having none of it, in fact he sounded quite agressive about it.

How can people in the business be so wrong? So frustrating. I wish I had more of my own clients so I didnt have to work for someone else.

He obviously has bad nail techs, you don't really want to work for someone like that, better to find out now than later after you have the job :)

it shows is lack of education about the newest technologies in the industry and that he most likely has had bad techs. I would have been inclined to show him on one nail what it SHOULD be like if someone competent applies the product ;)

I hear this all the time from people, that Acrylics & Gels ruin nails.

It because people go to certain salons who are not trained properly, and ruin their nails.

One salon ( not going to mention who runs it but I suppose most people can guess!) advertises Shellac. I went in with a friend of mine a few months ago just to see if they use Shellac. And not suprised I didn't see a CND shellac bottle!!
And they charge £18 for it.

Quiet a few friends told me they had had Gels done when I've asked which salon did you go to, they tell me. I ask them did they use a brush & dip it in powder and apply, or dip a brush in Gel. Not suprised again they use l&p and tell their customers it's Gels!!!

This is the reason y they churn customers out like hot cakes, and have walk ins all day long.

Wish some professionals would look into this, and get them all shut down.
Because people like us who have paid good money & trained well, and we use expensive products, get told we too expensive! 😡😡😡😡😡

Do you think it is better to do a CND course rather than a nail technology course that offers a recognised qualification such as the VCTC?

It depends upon your insurance company's requirements.

I started off with a college course VCTC. Done various others with other companies, which now I feel was a waste of money.

I didn't know about CND at the time.
But it obviously the daddy of nail training & products. So I'm doing Shellac with them in two weeks, then going onto doing l&p & gel conversion.
When everyone's talking about them, and how good they are surely they
have had a good experience with them.

I wouldn't knock other companies either. It what u feel u wana go with.

Latest posts

Back