Potty Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcross

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So my son is now 2 and I want to start potty training him and getting rid of the nappies (yay).

I'm totally clueless on how to do this so was wondering how did you potty train you child(ren) if you have any tips and advice on which way is best? How long did it take?

I have bought a potty, i showed him it and sat him on it and he burst out crying lol.

Thanks in advance xxx

Hiya,

Going through it now with my 2 yr old son.

Leave the potty in a prominent place so he gets used to seeing it.

Take him to loo with you so he see's you going on the big boy toilet.

And if and when he does go, make a fuss.

I do laps of honour around him and he loves the praise.

There is no right or wrong, he'll do it when he's ready x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Its great to try in the summer, let him run around 'nappyless' in the garden when you can so he gets used to the feeling of needing to go and the consequence, then encourage him to use the big boys potty or toilet, my son used to be constipated so we sat him on a toddler seat on the big loo to make it easier, so he was really used to the whole toilet idea. I picked a week without too many events and bought big boy pants it took him 3/4 days and he was dry ( he was about 2 1/2) . My daughter however is a completely different story and we still have issues with her - shes nearly 9!!:biggrin:.
Every child is different, so don't feel you've done anything wrong if he doesn't get it yet, just go back to nappies or pull-ups and try again in a couple of months. People will have so many opinions on whats right, but use your own instinct. :Love:

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a potty chair person. I like the device that sets over the big people potty. That way, you don't have to train to use the potty chair, then train to use the real potty.

Mine basically trained themselves. They watched their dad a few times and that was it.

The one thing is don't 'train' your child before they are ready. It will be frustrating for you and your son. I didn't start with my boys til they were about 2-1/2.

Best of luck! :)

I followed Gina Ford's Potty Training Book.....worked a treat! x

Gina Ford is a bit of a schedule person. My youngest is 2 in July and she knows when she is having a wee and tells me just before she poos in her nappy but she hasn't got the art of doing it on a potty yet. The first sign is that they take themselves away somewhere to poo rather than do it in the middle of the room in front of everyone.

Get them to just sit on it and if they stand up let them, don't force them into it they'll just rebel, I let mine run around the bathroom with the potty in the middle of the floor whilst the bath is running. She sits on it then gets off then sits down and claps. Don't rush, they'll do it in there own time, the garden is a good place to be without a nappy though. If he does use the potty make sure you tuck him in as little boys can sometimes wee out of the potty.

Hi, all the advice above is great. I work as a part-time nanny and have potty trained lots of toddlers. It never took longer than 3-5 days. I bought nice stickers to use as a reward everytime they used the potty successfully.
Aim to stay home for the first 2 days as they are the most difficult ones.
I would then get back to the normal routine but take the potty with me wherever I go. After couple of days they were fine to use the toilet wherever we were. Just make sure you keep checking with him at the beginning whether he needs to use the toilet.

With both of mine I let them tell me when they were ready, my daughter was just over 2 when she said no nappy mummy pants on & I started then & my little boy was 2 1/2 & having his usual naked run about before his bath when he ran over to the potty & was so proud of himself for doing a wee on it, with in a week he was dry throughout the day, he's three now & still has a nappy at night but stays dry if he ever has a nap in the day x

Thanks for all your replies, I have noticed now actually that he takes himself away and hides in the corner when he is doing a poop. Seeing as it's a nice day here today I think we will spend most of the time in the garden with the potty and see how he gets on today. They grow up so fast! Xxx

How's it going? X

The only bit if advice I can offer that hasn't been mentioned above is to let them wear their big boy/girl pants over nappies so they can get used to them. My son loved naked time and still does (been potty trained since April). I also let him wear his pants around the house instead of a nappy. He did have an accident in them once but he hated the wet feeling so was soon dry and using the potty!

I did it slightly different and not in everyones ideal way, but it worked. My son was potty trained a week before his second birthday and only had 2 accidents. He's now almost 4.

He was aware of other children using toilets and potties and had a potty at home. I bought this about a month before I potty trained him. If he sat on it by himself we praised hugely and clapped. He would spend short bursts of time wearing big boy pants to get used to them.

One day I said to him, do you want a sweetie? He did, so I told him to sit on the pot and do a wee and he can have a sweet. So he did!
After that I reminded him often to use it, giving him a sweetie each time he did a wee.
I never used pull ups so as not to confuse him (if he did a wee in one it would have been like wearing a nappy, which I didnt want. When he wet his pants he could feel it and didnt like it.)
He wet his pants once then and never did it again.
It took about a week tops of being at home.

I was a nursery nurse for 5 years and trained many children like this successfully. Though with stickers not sweets!

If the child was able to talk and understand enough to say if they wanted a wee and were dry for hours between nappy changes then we tried with them. I've found it a successful method. :hug:

Personally, I'm not a potty chair person. I like the device that sets over the big people potty. That way, you don't have to train to use the potty chair, then train to use the real potty.

Mine basically trained themselves. They watched their dad a few times and that was it.

The one thing is don't 'train' your child before they are ready. It will be frustrating for you and your son. I didn't start with my boys til they were about 2-1/2.

Best of luck! :)

Couldnt agree more hun and this is what we did with our little one.

My little man was actually a late starter just past his 3rd birthday but I have to say it took him no more than about 3 days to pick it up, he watched his daddy in action (so to speak) and helped that he also had justed started nursery so that he could see the other kiddies. Some people may think that his late starting was bad on my part, but in fact I know my little man and it had to be when he was ready and not when I was ready. We'd tried before but to no avail and he hated the potty. Im not saying everyone needs to leave it late, far from it, what Im trying to say in my normal around the houses kind of way is dont be stressed, don't show your stressed, if little one is stressed its not quite the right time. The seat on the toilet is great and then there is no need to have to then train little ones to go on the loo as opposed to the potty. JMHO :green:

Have to say my now six year old son is driving me nuts peaing everywhere it seems except the toilet bowl and leaving the loo seat up, even his dad is better trained lmao!

Latest posts

Back