POW & Pooling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc in canada

Reaction score
Hi ya geeks,

I've been playing around with POW by NSI and IMN and just wondering if it's normal to have the gel "pool" a little at the tip? I've tried doing it really thin and that adding a second coat but it takes forever. just wondering if there is a way to do it in one coat and not have the pooling at the very tip of the nail.

SC

Being an L & P lass mainly I have never used or been shown how to use POW, I don't think the new system I am testing even offers one. What exactly is it? Does it come in pots or like polish? Does it have a consistancy like polish? Does it still require curing? Sorry for all the questions!

What exactly is it?
It's a Paint On White that gives the look of a French finish

Does it come in pots or like polish?
The one I use comes in a bottle like an enamel

Does it have a consistancy like polish?
It's thicker than enamel

Does it still require curing?
Yes
hth's

Fantastic, thank you! Is POW easier than using a white gel?

Thank you, sorry!

Hi ya geeks,

I've been playing around with POW by NSI and IMN and just wondering if it's normal to have the gel "pool" a little at the tip? I've tried doing it really thin and that adding a second coat but it takes forever. just wondering if there is a way to do it in one coat and not have the pooling at the very tip of the nail.

SC

Hi I had the same happen to me with both NSI and INM Integrity gels. The POW would be or cure very poorly. I wanted to screen. I contact the manufacturer of both and was instructed to let it cure for the period of time (2 mins). I found this a bit inconvenient considering I do like to freeze cure for 15 seconds to set the smile line and then the full curing time. I thought it was just me with these similar problems from these products. Thanks.:rolleyes:

I have about 3 pots of POW and never use it. I use Akzentz gels and always use my builder white when I sculpt my nails or fills. What I would like to know, without sounding to thick, is, can you use POW to sculpt nails from scratch? If you can, do you build the nail with clear gel first, then put your POW over top of that, swipe the smile, cure, then another coat of clear gel?

You can try this:

1. Do all of your proper prep steps.
2. Apply your product of choice; gel, acrylic or wrap.
3. Finish file the entire nail using a 180 grit file...do not buff the nail
smooth or the next layer of gel will not adhere, and file very thin the area
that will have the Paint on White Gel. So that when you apply the POW Gel it
brings the thickness of the free-edge back to where it is supposed to be.
4. Apply the POW in 3 strokes down the middle of the free-edge and then down
each side as well. Make sure the nail is coated just enough so that there
are no streaks but thin enough that the UV rays can penetrate the POW and
cure the product. (the reason it is chipping is that it has not cured
properly due to either having it too thick or buffing the nail too smooth)
5. Now wipe your brush on a clean cotton square to remove any POW residue
and swipe your smile line in. Freeze cure that nail while you do another
French on the other hand and so on and so on until all ten nails are
finished and you cure everything for 2 minutes.
6. Finish your work by applying a coat of Clear Top Gloss to all ten nails
and finish cure once again for 2 minutes...wipe with Gel Cleanser and you
are done.

Hmmm

See, the two brands of POW that I've tried must have at least one layer of regular gel, before applying the gloss OR it'll chip/peel away.
The POW isn't 'strong' or 'hard' enough.
:irked:

So, yours doesn't need that layer of gel? Just the finishing gloss over it, and voila?

There is no need for that extra step.
I was also using Natural clear gel over.I would keep my jar on the top of my UV light to keep it worm and apply over my POW.Natural gel is very shiny.
I can post this application if you want.Lots of nail techs are using my method with success. There is a reason why they gave me a nick Lana-Queen of POW lol.

YES

Please post it :green:

There is no need for that extra step.
I was also using Natural clear gel over.I would keep my jar on the top of my UV light to keep it worm and apply over my POW.Natural gel is very shiny.
I can post this application if you want.Lots of nail techs are using my method with success. There is a reason why they gave me a nick Lana-Queen of POW lol.

Hi can you post your steps. I usually have to apply the gel first cure, then the POW cure then the top coat. Thanks.:lol:

Sanitize your hands and clients with Isagel
Push back cuticles.
Remove all secondary skin from the nail plate.
File all nails with medium sanding band with your e-file
or nothing finer than 180 grit hand file.
Carefully remove shine from the new growth area.
Bevel you free edge very thin
Make sure your old layer of gel is flat at cuticle area
and around sidewalls.(this is for fills)
Spray with Nail Prep and wipe with clean, dry wash cloth.
Apply Affix it (acid free primer) and let it dry for 1 min.
Apply Paint on White fairly thin
Swipe your smile line
Drop down your brush and seal the free edge
Freeze it for 10 sec.
Do the same on all 10 nails .Then cure for full 2 min.
Any bit of ridge you can fill with your natural gel.
You can do all five fingers (it will not run).
Cure 2 min.
While you are curing one hand you can apply Natural to the other.
Cure other hand for 2 min.
Wipe your nails with Gel Cleaner.
Apply cuticle oil.
For new set of nails you have to use French White or any other Builder White. Depends on your preferences.

Latest posts

Back