PPL and PRS monthly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie-danielle

Reaction score
I have searched and I can't find I only find the discussion on what they mean which I already know and I know I have to have 2 licence's.
As much as I begrudge paying I haven't this year and have turned my radio off and don't play music but I'm now getting fed up of listening to the hairdresser next door! I used to pay him towards the licence but something felt dodgy so I didn't pay him this year so consequently stopped pal lying music in my side.
Any way my whole point here is do you have to pay the licence in full or can you pay monthly for them? There websites Aren't much help x x

I'm sure if you called the, you would be able to find out.

I don't think you can, but always worth calling them and asking...if you don't ask you don't get.
Then again, then they know who and where you are, so will make you pay up regardless :eek:

Will do, didn't want to at work coz lad next door can hear me talking n he is a nosey sod that will have something to say about it just needed a quick answer but ney worries I shall give them a bell on my day off :) x x

I don't think you can, but always worth calling them and asking...if you don't ask you don't get.
Then again, then they know who and where you are, so will make you pay up regardless :eek:

That's also another reason I wasn't fussed for ringing lol oh well I can jut fight my corner n tell em I'm not coz I'm not buy it is doing my head in didn't realise how much I miss it till its gone lol x

Are you renting a room I take it?
If the building has a license you wouldn't need to buy an extra one or contribute towards it unless you wanted to in theory.

You do need a license even if the building you're in has one, if you are a separate business. Licenses also depend on how big or small your business is! Stick to license free!!! Also, fairly sure you can't pay monthly I'm afraid!

This is how it is its downstairs one building 2 separate businesses but I have a door at my side he has a door at his there is a door joining us together as we have to share the bathroom and kitchen. So it's the same address but two different business and names. He has always said that if I pay him half for the music licence that its fine and I won't get in trouble but I don't understand it completely and don't want to get I. Trouble if he is wrong does this make any sense :/
Also I have looked into free music but it drives me potty I like the radio and my clients do too, I alter it depending on clients age I used to have it preset to certain stations, I only have soothing music when I do massage x x

Jamendo are great as is ims, ims has a salon radio for £6 a month that has regular "adverts" like "remember to book your next appointment at reception before leaving" and "we sell a great range of products, ask a member of staff for details"x

Jamendo are great as is ims, ims has a salon radio for £6 a month that has regular "adverts" like "remember to book your next appointment at reception before leaving" and "we sell a great range of products, ask a member of staff for details"x

That sounds good, do you have it? Do you still have to pay ppl and prs? Xx

That sounds good, do you have it? Do you still have to pay ppl and prs? Xx

We had it until the pc went down lol, I need a disk or something to get the pc up and running.
You don't need any licence as all the artists have signed away all rights to sell their music to a licences agent such as prs.
Try the weeks free trial first to see if you like it then phone Carole and ask about a monthly set up or 3 monthly if you find a years worth in one go a bit too much x

We had it until the pc went down lol, I need a disk or something to get the pc up and running.
You don't need any licence as all the artists have signed away all rights to sell their music to a licences agent such as prs.
Try the weeks free trial first to see if you like it then phone Carole and ask about a monthly set up or 3 monthly if you find a years worth in one go a bit too much x

Thanks lovely ill get on it tomorrow :) xxx

I am interested in this thread as I boycott PRS and PPL in May last year as I had previously paid for PRS not knowing there was another, it is a bloody con

HOWEVER

I am so bored with my license free music that I have been thinking about "going back"...I am going to look into Jamendo and IMS then instead

To the OP: They dont do monthly I dont think and they dont put any info on line so as to make you ring them so as they collar you but rest assured they will collar you anyway, they did me originally and have done lots of friends with business

I am intrigued about the information on here about business splitting as i have a Nail Technician actually sitting in my salon in with clients, at her desk, under her business name so there is no possibility of listening to any other music than what I choose as the stereo is there - and I have a beauty therapist operating a business in her room within my salon...so???

I thought she just needed a cd from the licensing company I currently partake (siBee £50/year) but maybe this is not the case?

I just looked at both the mentioned options and called them.....think I have done a 360 degree turn and decided less faffing, better quality consistency choice etc with just paying PPL and PRS ...

I have convinced myself if I buy lots of cd's, with the tax relief at the end of the year on "salon music / goods bought" I might have paid myself back and filled my ipod?!!

You do need a license even if the building you're in has one, if you are a separate business. Licenses also depend on how big or small your business is! Stick to license free!!! Also, fairly sure you can't pay monthly I'm afraid!

Some times I do give up on this site with people that post incorrect information because when you search for advice you g a load of wrong stuff and end up having to do it all yourself. .

For anyone looking into Music licence. This is the definitive answer:-

1)you need two PRS and PPL

The licences cover the building not individual people!!

IF you rent a room for example in a salon or gym blah blah who already had a music licence. You do NOT I repeat do NOT need an extra licence! Even IF you are a separate business inside that building.

2) the PRS licence holder (eg salon owner) should just advise the people that another room is being used. They ONlY do this IF they never declared the room in the first place. Ie it was a store cupboard before hand.

3) if the salon has 5 and under treatment rooms. Even if they were store rooms before you don't need to tell anyone. IF treatments rooms in that premise go over 5 then you will need to tell them to pay a little bit extra to the PPL people

Hope that clarifies exactly what the policy on this one is.

Unfortunately they tell you different things when you phone. I had to have a separate license as I was a beauty premises in a golf club - a completely different business. I was also told I needed one working from home, only to find out later I didn't. I was also under the impression that I can play the radio if it is just staff on the premises, but no, I have to have a music license for me and another member of staff to listen to the radio even if there are no clients. Often what is posted on here is peoples experiences following what they have been told by PPL and PRS - nobody is out to mislead. I have found it a lot easier to put iChill on, and tell them to stuff their licenses!

Unfortunately they tell you different things when you phone. I had to have a separate license as I was a beauty premises in a golf club - a completely different business. I was also told I needed one working from home, only to find out later I didn't. I was also under the impression that I can play the radio if it is just staff on the premises, but no, I have to have a music license for me and another member of staff to listen to the radio even if there are no clients. Often what is posted on here is peoples experiences following what they have been told by PPL and PRS - nobody is out to mislead. I have found it a lot easier to put iChill on, and tell them to stuff their licenses!

I was under the impression you didn't need a licence if only in staff areas where the public wouldn't hear it.
The tv licence is just as confusing, you can have a tv in a salon with no music licence, but you need a licence should any music that is prs protected is played. Also mobiles that have tv are fine to use until its plugged in to a wall socket to charge, then a tv licence is needed lol. X

I was under the impression you didn't need a licence if only in staff areas where the public wouldn't hear it.
The tv licence is just as confusing, you can have a tv in a salon with no music licence, but you need a licence should any music that is prs protected is played. Also mobiles that have tv are fine to use until its plugged in to a wall socket to charge, then a tv licence is needed lol. X

And you can't have the radio on and listen to a talk show in case you accidently hear licensed music! My husbands work and my work have been told completely different things by ppl and prs over the past 2 weeks. I give up!!!

And you can't have the radio on and listen to a talk show in case you accidently hear licensed music! My husbands work and my work have been told completely different things by ppl and prs over the past 2 weeks. I give up!!!

It's just silly isn't it. I don't think they will be around long myself, all these rules put people off and frighten them. X

you need it for staff areas as it is deemed motivational to your staff and so you are gaining benefit from it :) I do dislike that the staff don't seem to know their own rules! Yet I had to learn those same damn rules in the first year of my degree when I don't work for them lol

Latest posts

Back