PPL/PRS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Had some good news today so thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else out. I renewed both my music licences in the last month, was a bit late with PRS as I didn't get a paper invoice like I did with PRS so missed the email as It went into junk. I then got a call from a receivers company last week as they said the debt had been passed to them so I paid it straight away over phone. This week I got another invoice for late payment fee, another £80 on top of the fee I had already paid, over a £100. I called them and had a bit of a barney yesterday, they were not v. Helpful and said it was my fault for not paying on time. I called back today and spoke to a manager saying I was not happy about the surcharge as I had had no reminders or a paper bill etc. He was really helpful and said it was a mistake, I shouldn't have had the surcharge applied as it was clear I had paid it so he took it off.

I then mentioned how expensive it was compared to PRS and mentioned stuff I had seen on the website which said if you have a v.small business, only play the radio and if you use it only in a staff area you qualify for a reduction. All this applies to me as we have less than 5 chairs, keep radio in staff room, no speakers in salon although you can hear it if hair dryers not on and we only have radio playing. Because of this I qualify for a reduction which I should have had from the start so today they apologised and sorted me out a refund for this year and last year so I now pay half of what I was originally charged!

So if any small businesses are paying the full whack it is worth challenging it as it may save you some cash!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Well well! That's exactly the sort of thing I was ready to hear! I've already paid £90 odd to prs n now I have a bill on my desk from ppl for £80 which I need to pay, I'm gonna ring them first thing Monday morning! Thanks for that! :)

Well well! That's exactly the sort of thing I was ready to hear! I've already paid £90 odd to prs n now I have a bill on my desk from ppl for £80 which I need to pay, I'm gonna ring them first thing Monday morning! Thanks for that! :)

It's only a little saving but everything helps! Now my next battle I'm hoping to win is my business rates appeal which has been dragging on for over a year but apparently gets finalised this week so fingers crossed for a reduction there too and a rebate although I doubt it will go in my favour but you have to try everything!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I will reiterate on here that you also don't need music licences if you are a home salon which is good news for a lot of therapists. Some are mistakenly told that they need a licence.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could save a whole lot more by downloading licence free music onto an ipod.

I refused to buy anymore licences after asking every clients for a week "what is playing in the background" "Radio? CD? Ipod?...none of them could tell me, they just said "never really noticed, it's just back ground music...

I download from Ichill and other licence free sites onto an old iPhone...

No licence fee to pay at all...

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I refused to buy anymore licences after asking every clients for a week "what is playing in the background" "Radio? CD? Ipod?...none of them could tell me, they just said "never really noticed, it's just back ground music...

I totally agree.

I have the radio on occasionally when I am setting up, but plinky music goes on for clients. All I know is, clients only notice what's on when they hate it, so when I had the radio on when I had a licence, a client went "Is this so and so? I can't bear him". Can't remember the name of the DJ, but remember thinking I didn't like him much either.

I haven't had a music licence for many years now!!!

Vic x

I totally agree.

I have the radio on occasionally when I am setting up, but plinky music goes on for clients. All I know is, clients only notice what's on when they hate it, so when I had the radio on when I had a licence, a client went "Is this so and so? I can't bear him". Can't remember the name of the DJ, but remember thinking I didn't like him much either.

I haven't had a music licence for many years now!!!

Vic x

Now its not the same for me, my client's always comment and say how good my playlists are and they love listening to my choice of music whilst having their lashes or nails done.
I have plinky plonk for massage and facials but have playlists for the others and they like that.
I'm hoping that as has been said, that home salons with one client at a time are exempt because I am getting fed up of paying now

H x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Now its not the same for me, my client's always comment and say how good my playlists are and they love listening to my choice of music whilst having their lashes or nails done.
I have plinky plonk for massage and facials but have playlists for the others and they like that.
I'm hoping that as has been said, that home salons with one client at a time are exempt because I am getting fed up of paying now

H x

If you're a home salon, contact them. It's nothing to do with one client at a time, it's to do with it being your home.

A fellow geek on here had been paying for his home salon and questioned it but contacted me a few days later to say yes he doesn't need a licence and was getting a refund!

Vic x

If you're a home salon, contact them. It's nothing to do with one client at a time, it's to do with it being your home.

A fellow geek on here had been paying for his home salon and questioned it but contacted me a few days later to say yes he doesn't need a licence and was getting a refund!

Vic x

That's great news,will ring them Monday thank you x

Can u listen to the tracks before you download them? I'm sick of paying all this money, and I just so happen to have a spare ipod in my house :) when I went on the website I couldn't really see what you had to do?

Can u listen to the tracks before you download them? I'm sick of paying all this money, and I just so happen to have a spare ipod in my house :) when I went on the website I couldn't really see what you had to do?

Yes of course, you get a little "play sample" button like the play button icon

Damn...phone decided it doesn't want to post pictures

Fab thanks I'll take another look now :)

Latest posts

Back