Practice set for comp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraceyJoJo

Reaction score
Entering 1st comp on monday! (novice)

This is my practice set from today on my extremely helpful model Yvette (glamnails72):hug: (thanks for your support and patience!)

Any tips on how to improve will be hugely appreciated. I can see quite a few probs but would like to be told exactly where to improve so I know what to concentrate my time on please. Please don't hold back...if they are pants, I need to know!

Many thanks

comp practice 1.jpg

comp practice 2.jpg

comp practice 3.jpg

comp practice 4.jpg
comp practice 5.jpg

They are great hun.. well done, and i love the colour

wow! u go girl!!!
great smiles
right i will attempt to critique but ur far better than me so i feel a bit funny
To me the ring finger and possibly pinkie the sidewalls don't look quite straight enough-but that could b the angle of the pic?
also are they a little too long?i know comp nails r meant to b longerr than average....maybe thats whats catching me out-but they look MEGA long
polishing is beautiful tho!!!
way to go-u will "nail" it :lol: if u do a set like that on the day:hug: :hug: :hug:

Im not one to really give critique, but i did spot that the side wall on the (french) ring finger is a bit squiffy. The length would look nicer on a longer nail bed IMO, they look a little unbalanced atm.

is there a certain length criteria for comps??

xx

hiya hun
i think your smiles are fab ,well done and the enamel is smooth and flawless from what i can see ,
c curves nice and neat ,view from the side ,they are all nice and consistant

now for the critique part , on some of the photos the sidewalls dont look very smooth, but this could be the camera as it isnt as noticeable on all photos as it is on others ,
the sidewalls look like they need straigtening up a little ,some are a touch wider than the nail bed ,
and finally , unless the rules state that the length has to be this long , i'd shorten them a little ..it will just make them look a little more balanced ,
:hug:

i wish i could get my enamel that neat though well done , mines always a tatty mess :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your comments so far. Yes, the sidewalls are out! Didn't look that bad in real life but will def pay more attention to them, thanks. And as for the length, not really sure how long they should be? If they should be shorter thats fine by me...really struggled with them this long!

you must be able to find some competition guidelines on here somewhere?!

if not im sure someone more experienced in comps can help!

i thin i have competition guidelines , in an email a geek sent to me ...ill have a look now , if you would like them hun send me a pm with your email addy and ill forward them to you xxxxx

Hi Tracey, well done for posting and entering, what div will you be in.

Firstly in my opinion a little more apex would be better, not to much, yes the whites do look too long for the nail beds, is this your comp model?
the main thing to remember is consistancy nail to nail, ie smiles, length, apex.
buff to very high shine. everything is in the bumph you get sent, in fact there was a lot of helpful tips in it.

Hi Tracey, well done for posting and entering, what div will you be in.

Firstly in my opinion a little more apex would be better, not to much, yes the whites do look too long for the nail beds, is this your comp model?
the main thing to remember is consistancy nail to nail, ie smiles, length, apex.
buff to very high shine. everything is in the bumph you get sent, in fact there was a lot of helpful tips in it.

Thanks Jac.

Entering novice (under 1 year of doing nails)
So the nail length, would you say to shorten the whites so they are in equal length to the length of the nail bed? Or shorter? My bumph didn't mention length:cry: so this is trial and error really!

best thing to do is look in the gallery at some of the winning comp nails in the competion section that will give you an idea of what they are looking for I always go to long.

best thing to do is look in the gallery at some of the winning comp nails in the competion section that will give you an idea of what they are looking for I always go to long.

Thanks for the advice:hug:

They look really good, well done! As said before your whites are way too long for the nail bed you are using....as a rule of thumb, go for 2/3 the length of the bed for the white, your whites are as long or longer than the bed.

Lovely c curve on the p/w thumb!

Thanks Cathie!
I'll remember to do them shorter on the day

Well done for posting, I think for the novice category you are doing brilliantly! Like jac said, look at comp section for lots of winning pics. If you take the length down slightly that will help you control your product better, which i think(!) should help you get your overall look better, Good luck for sunday, hope to see you at some point xx

Latest posts

Back