Practising - Training Hand? Or Real Person?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

Reaction score
I have the gist that practising on a real persons hand is the best way to go to learn because every hand's different and you'll always come across different shapes, lengths, textures and states of real peoples nails that you don't get with the practice hand etc etc.

But does anyone think that a practice hand is still worth investing in?? Just for the extra practice??

Also, I was thinking, with the hand and all the little nails you get to practice on - couldn't you polish and design them up and stick them on some pretty card for your client to see? So they can see the colours and designs clearly and be more adventurous?

Has anyone tried this? Any positive responses from clients? What does everyone think about this? Professional or unprofessional?

Hi Moby,

trainer hands can be great for perfecting or refining applicaiton and smile lines, however I still strongly urge practise on people, as their body temperature/ movement/ nail types etc, make for a really good learning experience. This way when you work on your full paying clients you won't be half as nervous. In short both are great for different reasons..?!

The idea of using tips to show off art designs is commonly used and can be quite successful (I do it for wedding designs)

Hi,

I am doing the Essential Nails Course which comes with a Nail Trainer. It's excellent from the point of view that you can do nails whenever you want to and at first it is definately best!

On my first few attempts to tip a nailI managed to glue myself to it!! file right through the tip and cut it's finger with my file. Not nice injuries to inflict on a real person! But I'm getting the hang of it now. :wink2:

I feel like I want to have a go on more real nails now that I've got a bit more confident but am not getting any volunteers so at least I have got the nail trainer and am not behind with my course because I've nothing to practice on.

Like you said you can also use it to display different nail designs-that's something I was planning on using it for when I've finished my course.

Good Luck!

you need both.

but the training hand is one of the best investments i ever made. you can work out a lot of your problems on it day or night. then when you can get a live model, you will stand more chance of doing a good job on her.

yes, i have a training hand. Inspector Gadget (his arm extends because i've broken the pin!) and he's a tranny. loves having his nails done. They're not as good as the real thing but you'll soon run out of friends to practice on so you'll need your hand as a back up!

A training hand is something that always comes in Handy (excuse the pun lol) Its great for trying out new techniques and nail art designs. When first learning it better to take a slice of rubber off a training finger then half the skin off a clients or models hand.

i practice alot on the training handcutting the nails in all different aspect to apear to need different work on them ie breaking , splitting

I have a love/hate reltionship with my nail trainer - I love to hate it!! I wouldn't be without it though, it's ideal for practising and certainly for practising on specific problems that you can go over & over again. I actually find it harder to do a set on it than on a real person......... but I'm not doing many real people at the moment so it's a godsend!

Hu Suzie!

I know what you mean about real nails being easier than the nail trainer. The few people that I have had the opportunity to practice on have been much easier but same as you I don't have many volunteers!

Oooh yes! It does seem to have helped all of you, valuable investment it seems. I'm hoping to have alot of people to practice on though too , my sister should have a few people to drag in to have them done! Will see how it goes.

Also, I've chosen the Creative L&P foundation course - hoping to start it in Feb! :biggrin: It says in the prospectus that you get a nail trainer - is this the hand trainer thing i'm talking about?? Or am I getting confused??

Thanks for your help guys - It seems it's still worth while getting even if it isn't provided in the kit.

Moby said:
Oooh yes! It does seem to have helped all of you, valuable investment it seems. I'm hoping to have alot of people to practice on though too , my sister should have a few people to drag in to have them done! Will see how it goes.

Also, I've chosen the Creative L&P foundation course - hoping to start it in Feb! :biggrin: It says in the prospectus that you get a nail trainer - is this the hand trainer thing i'm talking about?? Or am I getting confused??

Thanks for your help guys - It seems it's still worth while getting even if it isn't provided in the kit.

Yes this is the hand trainer that you are talking about.

Moby said:

No your not confused - you get the trainer hand with the kit!
Good luck with the course

Moby said:
I have the gist that practising on a real persons hand is the best way to go to learn because every hand's different and you'll always come across different shapes, lengths, textures and states of real peoples nails that you don't get with the practice hand etc etc.

But does anyone think that a practice hand is still worth investing in?? Just for the extra practice??

Also, I was thinking, with the hand and all the little nails you get to practice on - couldn't you polish and design them up and stick them on some pretty card for your client to see? So they can see the colours and designs clearly and be more adventurous?

Has anyone tried this? Any positive responses from clients? What does everyone think about this? Professional or unprofessional?

To answer your post ... the answer is that it is not a question of either/or ... practicing requires a combination of BOTH. The Nail Trainer for technique and live models for experience. It certainly is not a question of one or the other.

Of course you can use the nails you have created on the Nail Trainer as examples of nail art and polish colours and also diferent nail styles.

Latest posts

Back