Pre pig for ombré

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a blonde client (base 10 highlights back to back) who wants to convert to a level 6/7 ombré with blonde ends. I want to pre pig to reduce fading and get the best possible colour result. My plan is to apply 6.34 dia light mixed with hot water instead of dia actuvateur, dry it into the hair and then apply majirel over the top... Does this sound like a suitable way of doing it? I don't want to shampoo my pre pig off if I can help it, as it would be hard to pick up those same sections again to paint my majirel on x

I have a blonde client (base 10 highlights back to back) who wants to convert to a level 6/7 ombré with blonde ends. I want to pre pig to reduce fading and get the best possible colour result. My plan is to apply 6.34 dia light mixed with hot water instead of dia actuvateur, dry it into the hair and then apply majirel over the top... Does this sound like a suitable way of doing it? I don't want to shampoo my pre pig off if I can help it, as it would be hard to pick up those same sections again to paint my majirel on x

In wella terms I would use ct for this and add my pre pig in with my tint I think that would be a lot easier and less fuss and quicker! X

In wella terms I would use ct for this and add my pre pig in with my tint I think that would be a lot easier and less fuss and quicker! X

At times like this I really wish I was using Wella haha! I've been considering changing over for a while. L'Oreal do have mix tones but I've never used them. Do you think that this technique of drying the pre pig into the hair will work effectively? I've not done it this way before x

Iv don't his way quite a few times now and I do it by applying perfecton first doing the usual hot cross bun sections I then start with the back sections, starting from the nape and applying the rest if the perfecton down to where i want it to be, repeat this for the sides, dry in and then again starting from the nape apply colour using foils underneath the hair and one foil over the top to protect left out hair , you obviously still have to be really careful when picking sections up but iv never had it go into the left over blonde, I usually then go back through the foils and tone the blonde for last 10 minutes or sometimes out the /00 gloss on the blonde xx

That sounds nice - I like the idea of the control you get over the hair from using foil, rather than freehand painting where the colour could spread and transfer into areas where you don't want it x

That sounds nice - I like the idea of the control you get over the hair from using foil, rather than freehand painting where the colour could spread and transfer into areas where you don't want it x

Yeah I think I would end up getting it everywhere if I didn't use foils lol the first time I had to do this I got an old dolls head out and did it on that xx

I use the foam wraps if I'm doing it like this just do the hotcross bun paint the tint on the start dropping secs dwn from the nape painting from the roots dwn to were you want it to end with melt the two colours together (ends colour or conditioner) then place a wrap on top and move onto the next section about the pre pig part it would be a lot less time consuming to put your pre pig in with your tint then you don't have to basically apply a tint dry in before you even start with putting it in with your tint you can just start straight away if it was a all over colour then I would say use perfecton then go straight over it with ct but in this case my advise would be pre pig in with tint hth x

I use the foam wraps if I'm doing it like this just do the hotcross bun paint the tint on the start dropping secs dwn from the nape painting from the roots dwn to were you want it to end with melt the two colours together (ends colour or conditioner) then place a wrap on top and move onto the next section about the pre pig part it would be a lot less time consuming to put your pre pig in with your tint then you don't have to basically apply a tint dry in before you even start with putting it in with your tint you can just start straight away if it was a all over colour then I would say use perfecton then go straight over it with ct but in this case my advise would be pre pig in with tint hth x

Thanks that sounds like a good idea! :) x

I think I'm gonna go with wella x

What would you use in wella to achieve a natural looking level 7 without too much warmth? Natural base is a 5 and midlengths and ends are level 10 ash x

No prob You could use Kp 7/0 with 30vol on roots and ct 7/0 with 4cms of 0/34 with 1.9 for mids then conditioner for the ends if your client likes her ends colour if not maybe bring her ends down to a level 9 x

Sorry ment to say 4cm to half a tube double it if using a full tube x

No prob You could use Kp 7/0 with 30vol on roots and ct 7/0 with 4cms of 0/34 with 1.9 for mids then conditioner for the ends if your client likes her ends colour if not maybe bring her ends down to a level 9 x

Thanks that sounds lovely! I'm really thinking I'm going to convert everything over to wella at some point soon x

I did this today, sadly didn't have time to go to the warehouse and get wella so I made the most of what I had in my stock box! :p

So first I attempted the pre pig by mixing equal parts of 8.3 and 6.34 in dia light with hot water. It turned into a very very very runny mixture which was impossible to work with, so I ended up using the whole 2 tubes of colour which was far more than I would have needed if it was mixed with developer - a waste of colour. When I achieved the creamy constancy that was acceptable to work with, I applied to the hair starting at the nape and working freehand. I then attempted to dry it into the hair... Sadly it had very little effect - it all looked white blonde still, except it was just sticky and hard to dry. I learned a lesson here... When working with loreal (especially dia light with it's gel texture) you don't use this technique to pre pig.

With my pre pig technique having failed I then made the best of the situation by proceeding with my tint anyway - I knew I had to use some warmth in my colour to avoid green tones. I went with 7.1 6% (as majirel lifts 2 shades with 6%) on the roots (level 5) and equal parts of 8.03 and 6 majirel on the midlengths. I normally wouldn't use a permanent over bleach, but my instinct told me to and I'm glad I did because the result was a perfectly covered shiny and natural looking brown - couldn't have asked for a better result! However it was too warm for her liking at the root area where her natural colour had lifted, and she felt too dark, so I dried off and applied 6.23 richesse at the root and freehand painted some majimeche through. Now what I want to emphasise, is that majimeche is absolutely AMAZING for balayage as I discovered today - it really really suits the technique and it cut through the tint perfectly bringing it up to a level 10 in 35 mins! This was the final result - doing this colour today has taught me a lot about what you should and shouldn't do when creating an ombré x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396300610.388382.jpg

Gorgeous, it does look really warm
But not sure if it's the light in the pictures iv not done any balayage so I'm hoping to add this in next time I'm doing an ombré, it's all trial and error isn't it and the good thing is knowing how to deal with problems when they arise if it all went plain sailing everyday it would be a very boring life lol well done xx

Gorgeous, it does look really warm
But not sure if it's the light in the pictures iv not done any balayage so I'm hoping to add this in next time I'm doing an ombré, it's all trial and error isn't it and the good thing is knowing how to deal with problems when they arise if it all went plain sailing everyday it would be a very boring life lol well done xx

Thank you :) yes it's definitely warm under that light and some of the highlights are more of a golden level 9 than a 10, but she likes that warmth because it makes it softer and richer :D I'm definitely glad I made those mistakes as it has taught me a lot in the space of a couple of hours and it's made me decide to stay with Loreal because their colours consistently deliver and please the clients, so if it ain't broke don't fix it! Lol xx

i just read through the thread..a bit late as your results looks lovely but i was thinking,couldn't you have prepig with neat majirel on its own with no developer? i used that the other day in lowlights and it worked a treat. i learned that at Loreal colour change course. i have the shade chart thing somewhere where it says what tint to choose to achieve a certain base. you choose your section,apply the neat tint appropriate for your result and then your chosen shade mixed with developer straight over the top. that's what i would've done. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

i just read through the thread..a bit late as your results looks lovely but i was thinking,couldn't you have prepig with neat majirel on its own with no developer? i used that the other day in lowlights and it worked a treat. i learned that at Loreal colour change course. i have the shade chart thing somewhere where it says what tint to choose to achieve a certain base. you choose your section,apply the neat tint appropriate for your result and then your chosen shade mixed with developer straight over the top. that's what i would've done. ;)

That sounds good! I'll bear it in mind for next time - do you dry your majirel into the hair before applying your target shade? And do you allow it to develop at all? X

nope you just apply the neat tint then go straight in with your target shade. I'll take a picture of my "chart". i know there were very slight changes but nothing major,i have the updated one at work:)

Attachments

• 1396346463164.jpg
    1396346463164.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back