Pregnancy hair disaster?!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candis

Reaction score
Can i please have some advise, im a qualified hairdresser been going solo for almost a year.... today i coloured a new clients hair who is 7 months pregnant, i skin tested her which was fine, no probs.
she is a base 6 and had not coloured her hair for months there was a big root regrowth, when matching her hair to the wella koleston chart she was a 12/0 ( high lift tint ) so decided to go for that on her roots, she then picked out a 9/17 to have some wovens in which we planed to do 6 packs on the top of the head but not directly on the top section. ( if u get me )
well...... i used the 12/0 with 12% on the roots then 9/17 with 6% on the lengths and ends, then went on to put the 12/0 with 12% onto the roots - and left for 40mins then checked the foils ... which to my horror had gone violet i quickly sprayed them out , knocked up some 12/0 and 12% with a sprinkl of bleach and massaged thru which lifted the purple tinge out - just made hair very blonde ( but is acceptable ) i explained that the colour had not taken the way i had hoped and had applied blonde to blend in, she used to colour her hair at home with garnier nutrisse she thinks a number 10 !!
so then it came to the 60mins time up for the tint, which i could see looked ginge..... so she washed it off and i put on a toner to the roots a 10p clairol with 6% i couldnt leave it on too long as it started to grab and i was worried it would go violet like the other strands had in the foil, im guessing what ever she used to put on her hair was an ashy one.
she washed that off, it was still ginge..... i cut it and blowdried it looked a bit better but still very warm, i called a colour technician i know and explained everything she said that it was prob nothing i had done just due to the fact that she is pregnant she advised to strand test the root area with bleach i tried 6% it did nothing really tried 9% and it did lift slightly so i used cylnol bleach and 9% on the root area quickly, and when it looked blonde enough and going by how long it been on by time id done the whole head, she washed it off and it was a bit better a lot better but had a slight yellow tinge now not ginge!
she accepted that is was most prob cos she was pregnant as she had home coloured it at around 3 months preg and after a day or so what she had coloured the root turned quite warm.

sorry for the ever so long email but this was a 5 hour ordeal lol

so basically what i want to know is any ideas for levelling out... silver shampoo?? or will that grab too much on the ends?!?!
or bleach bath and then apply a full head tint in a slightly darker golden blonde as she showed me a pic and it was honey caramel and few bleach streaks!??
any recommendations on colours or even ones to avoid
i feel so stressed , she was very good about it all and said that its prob her hormones but i feel so awful that its not spot on, id done such a fab job earlier in the day and been hugged by the client and now this i feel very deflated and im hoping that this lady has gone out tonight for her wedding anniversary instead of feeling down about her hair.
and to make it worse she is my daughters nursery nurse teacher who i see twice a week!!!!

if u havnt fallen asleep already ur thought and ideas would be apreciated!
i have learnt today that im never ever going to colour a pregnany ladies hair ever again!

xxxxx

It sounds like you tried to go too light. If she wanted honey blonde with a few bleach sreaks, I probably would have gone to a 9.1 (sorry I use L'Oreal) rather than a high lift tint.
As for toning it down, it is really difficult to advise without seeing and feeling it.

u used 9/17 on hair the base of a 12? aint that ash brunnett? not surprised that one didnt turn out so great.

I agree with Dawn, I think you have tried to go too light.

The ends would have been porous if she has been colouring them at home. That 12/0 would have only have to touch the other colour and it would have made the tone unstable in the 9/17. Coupled with the porous hair, it would grab the violet tone.

Trying to take a nat. base 6 to a 12 is too much of a leap. At best you are only getting 4 levels of lift and any warmth in the hair will bring it to a very warm 9.

It is incredibly hard to match up a home colour and an old one at that, they always tend to go brassy. Don't be too hard on yourself, I think you had lost the fight before you even started.:eek:

In this sort of a case, I normally explain to the client that it may take a few colour applications to get an even result. I would leave the hair alone now, as it will be ultra porous, and then when the colour is due again re-evaluate the whole thing.

thanks for ur advise peeps, its crazy aint it that a client can get from a 6 to a 12 with a cheap packet colour yet all our nice propper stuff cant on the first hit!
i saw her when i dropped my daughter to nursery, it didnt actually look as bad as what i remembered it being, i gave her some silver shampoo and asked her to wash it just the roots , it has been looking better! althou now she has roots again! fingers crossed she wont ask me to do it again!:irked:
a 9/17 is a ash brunette but still confused as to why it made it go violet!? i really would love to have more colur training as dont think level 2 covers it enough, what made me think 9/17 would be ok was because i had bleached highlighted hair which was pretty much blonde all over with 10/16 toner on and roots of a base 6, i had my roots bleached to match my hair then bleach bathed to even out, then a cylnol 8.14 on which is a ash brunette and that took fine.... i thought that the 9/17 would take on her hair ?! i now know not lol!
x

I know where you have gone wrong...because I have done it before....

the 9/17 you have used is a fairly light colour...the two tones in it are blue and purple....so its a VERY ashy colour.....the 'mistake' is that you used 6% peroxide babe....3% & 6% will DEPOSIT colour and 9% & 12% will LIFT AND TONE.....so you have used the wrong strength peroxide...

I once used the 12/18 or 12/17 cant remember which...which is a highlift....I used it with 6% on the ends and she ended up with violet mid-ends.....and it was because I should of used 9% or higher....

Hope this helps

xx

hello thanks for that yes i think it does help, i automatically assumed as i was going darker than 12/0 to use 6% so now i know thats not the case if it is an ashy tone, thanks for ur advise! ive been so nervous since then its really been putting me off colouring!! xxx

what ever toner you use always tone with pastel peroxide..... its the safe bet and works to add or neautralise the tone rather than lift it to the base and then add tone. if you get what i mean. i always use pastel and get good results.:)

Hi Ladies
She asked me to do her roots again eeekkk im very nervous!
she wants to tone down to a base 9 with (from the pic she showed me ) looks like another two shades of blonde weaved through.....
so she has base 5 or 6 roots , remember i had to bleach the root last time as the 12/0 was too warm and then prior to that it is a home colour equviliant to a 12/0 (wella)

heres what i was thinking.. poss someone can help and tell me if this will be ok.... i have used 901s majiblonde on a client with same base colour which comes out lovely im sure it would be fine on the root but would it take to the mid lengths and ends??? i could weave some of the exsisting colour and bleach the root to keep some blonder hair in .... would it be ok? would i leave it on root first or do the full head , im worried that maybe the 901s will grab on the regrowth i bleached previously and turn it ash or green or some other undesirable colour!!!??

help would be soooo apreciated! ;o)

xxx

ok so i got a sample of her hair i put wella 12/89 on the root it lifted to about a 9/16 - 9/17 which is the colour she wants, i then put pastel toner and 9/0 and 9/03 on the midlengths and ends for just over 20 mins.....
the root is fine but the mid lengths and ends are not as good a match and quite wishy washy..... any tips please to get this lady with 12/1 hair and base 5/6 roots to a 9/17

i have to go there monday! and just dunno what else to try!!!!!

xxx

Latest posts

Back