Pregnant! Hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hair88

Reaction score
It's really early but I just found out I'm pregnant has anyone else really suffered?
Today I had the worst day and had to leave my client half way through and go home, heart palpitations, back ache, feeling faint every time I stand up and I stand up all day!! Then I get emotional and stressed
Don't know what to do, I know it will get harder, my workers don't even know I'm pregnant yet.
We also don't have juniors and I'm fully booked working long hours all the time then stopping to answer phones, wash up etc
I'm really short I know it will only be a matter of time where I cannot physically get to basin to wash hair!
I rent a chair in a salon I pay a lot of money just don't know what to do anymore :(

Yeh it was like that for me! That's why I gave up everything while I was pregnant! And also why I will never do it again!!
Gotta remember you and the baby come first tho Hun!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I'm so close to doing this but I cannot financially and I'm only 2 months gone!!!
It's just not the job for being pregnant!

I know you rent a chair but you need to speak to whoever is in charge. Cos as your pregnant you need risk assessments and you need to be allowed breaks and to be able to sit down! Tragically that means you will need to lighten your load! Yeh your down money but it's either that or run the risk of harming you and your baby! The second trimester does get a bit easier but I was horrific through tr first and third!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I agree, I've been there twice and you really need to take care of yourself for you & your baby's health. Slow down for just now it's only a little time out. X

Very wise a advice there ... Lighten your load gradually or as you need. I kept on working when my midwife kept telling me to stop... ended up slipping a disk in my back in pregnancy, and still suffering 3 + years on. And yes one of the worst professions to suffer with backache! Thank goodness for pain relief!
All the best with the next 7 months :)

I've got two children and both times I worked right up until they were born. They were both early so that's why I was still working, but that might be why they came early because I was working so much!

Thank you people :)
I'm finding it hard already, I need to cut down but I pay to much rent, considering mobile? But I don't know!
Just stressing cause of not having a junior and being so busy, it's bad enough when I'm not pregnant!
Now I'm thinking il get bigger, I won't be able to shampoo I'm 5ft so I find it hard to do it all day on top of everything else, there's no air con, insufficient heating and long hours on my feet. It's not practical.
Work is making me hate being pregnant

Someone is going to say it and that someone is gonna be me..

What choice do you have? Hairdressers is hard at the best of times but no harder doing it whilst pregnant then say... Walking miles to get water in the desert or working in a field planting rice.
Pregnancy is not an illness, you adapt to doing things with a bump.
Schedule a 30 min break in the morning, 45 lunch and 30 about 3. Ask for a fan and to be allowed to sip water while working on clients. As you get closer to the big day start reducing your days.
my workmate who is 5ft1 had twins, never had a problem shampooing for herself.
How will being mobile help? Travelling in hot weather and carrying your equipment?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well obviously I know this I was asking for advice, we don't get these breaks from not having a junior!
Maybe I will adapt to having a bump but I couldn't physically do anymore today after fainting, this is why I was asking for advice because I've never been in this position!

Well obviously I know this I was asking for advice, we don't get these breaks from not having a junior!
Maybe I will adapt to having a bump but I couldn't physically do anymore today after fainting, this is why I was asking for advice because I've never been in this position!

Maybe you ought to go to the dr as it is not normal to be ill. Also you said you felt faint not that you fainted? Sounds like low blood sugar

Did I miss the point that you are self employed? So if you want a break then you just need to book it out? Can't see how not having an apprentice prevents you doing this, maybe I am missing the point of what self employment means but I thought it meant ypu control the hours you work and the breaks you take.

And back ache? When you are only a matter of weeks pregnant?
I would ask the Dr if you have a UTI or a kidney infection because it's not like you have a huge bump putting strain on your back

Could you not ask salon if you could hire your own apprentice? Or even a Saturday girl to help at busy times? If you are self employed, and as busy as you are, it may be a wise investment.

I'd also suggest going to your gp

Stretch your appointments. If you normally book 45 for a cbd, book and hour. Take the pressure off yourself. Say no to clients rather than knock yourself out. Work half days.
Your rent surely isn't so high that you've got to knock yourself out to pay it?

It's really early but I just found out I'm pregnant has anyone else really suffered?
Today I had the worst day and had to leave my client half way through and go home, heart palpitations, back ache, feeling faint every time I stand up and I stand up all day!! Then I get emotional and stressed
Don't know what to do, I know it will get harder, my workers don't even know I'm pregnant yet.
We also don't have juniors and I'm fully booked working long hours all the time then stopping to answer phones, wash up etc
I'm really short I know it will only be a matter of time where I cannot physically get to basin to wash hair!
I rent a chair in a salon I pay a lot of money just don't know what to do anymore :(

The first few and last few weeks are the worst , sick, dizzy spells, aches, tiredness... All the lovely things !!! Ha ha!!! you will prob start to feel better soon, usually after 3 months!

I was virtually dragged from work at 7 months, as I was very poorly, but with the other two I worked right up to having them.. You just need to rearrange your work load. (I'm a beautician so for example i wouldn't book massages after another , or no more than 2/3 in a day) Give your self extra time. Tell your work colleagues, so they are a bit sympathetic and can give a helping hand.

Eat at regular intervals and drink plenty of water, sit down between clients.

It's doesn't last long and it's not horrific the whole time ... Lol.... Otherwise we'd never have any more !!

Congratulations x

Are the washbasins in a funny position? You'll find away of standing that will allow you to continue shampooing,

I had backache and dizzyness in the first tri, complained of backache around 5 or 6 weeks preg and my mother in law asked if I was pregnant!!! fainting is also often a sign of early pregnancy but do get your blood pressure checked. you just need to take it easy a bit, if ur self employed cut yoursefl some slack and if you're employed then tell them so they can ease up on you a little.

in my opinion first tri is the hardest, after about 14 weeks chances are you'll feel much better but baby is going from one sperm and egg cell to a formed baby you can see on a scan pic, organs and all, in a very short space of time so your body is working hard. take care of yourself and like persianista says, book slightly longer appointments and maybe write off 15 mins between clients to have a sit down. the fatigue is a killer in first tri I have never known anything like it!

I worked full time till 37 weeks. You'll be fine poppet. First trimester is horrid.

I didnt and couldnt work with my first child from about 8 weeks as had severe sickness.Maybe once your boss knows then your needs can be met,making it a little easier for you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much :)
Was wondering if this was going to last forever but I have a dr appointment Monday, couple of you have said the first bits the hardest, so this is reassuring!
I know everyone has said about breaks ect being self employed but as we don't have a junior I'm not allowed to just do what I want and book out time and Visa versa

I told a work colleague today her reply was you're pregnant not ill.

Latest posts

Back