Pretty severe shoulder pain...experienced nail techs please advise.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
So, I'm only on the 5 year mark of working in a salon, the last 3 years doing strictly nails. I have always worked 5 days a week, but the last 2 years, the days are 7-9 hours of nails. This week, I am experiencing sharp shoulder pains. I'm on day 3 of it. It is when I lift or lower my arm mostly, but the motion of filing produces some pain as well. This is the first time I've had shoulder pain that was more than a dull ache at the end of the day and am having a hard time at work.

My question is this...have you nails techs that have been in the business full time for awhile experienced shoulder pain and has it gone away on its own? Or if you've been to a doctor for it, what was prescribed/done for it? I guess I'm just looking for others' experiences and tips. Thank you for reading.

That pain that wakes you up in the middle of the night, if you can actally fall asleep?
See your Dr. I also went to the chiropractor/&few months of acupuncture. Massage helped me more than anything else.
Im not a pill taker, that (for me) was not on option.
I'm on 10+ years and I'm pain free. Still a pain in the differential if you ask my family/friends.
I use my inversion table when I start to feel the tightness. If I would do it every day (like recommended) I wouldn't have that feeling.
A strong neck and back, regular excercise and a healthy diet is a plus.
Good luck, hope you start feeling better.:hug:

OK you are getting a warning so you have to change something and it is probably your posture.

You should file and work in a manner where you never need to lift your arm off the table or arm support.

If you are lifting your arm then your chair is not at the right height ... change it and make the changes now or you will be in trouble. Your forearm should be supported at all times and move the client's hand to accommodate the filing not the filing hand.

Chair height is correct when your forearms rest on the table when your arm is bent at the elbow at 90º

good posture whilst working can make all the difference.

i have some issues with joint pain and i find the best relief is the didsposable heat packs that i get from the pharmacy. you stick them to theinside of your clothes in the area of pain. they really ease the pain and help me straighten back up.

definately review your work set up, but meantime i hope you can get some relief from this drug free method.

This is how it started with me...be carefull xxx

OK you are getting a warning so you have to change something and it is probably your posture.

You should file and work in a manner where you never need to lift your arm off the table or arm support.

If you are lifting your arm then your chair is not at the right height ... change it and make the changes now or you will be in trouble. Your forearm should be supported at all times and move the client's hand to accommodate the filing not the filing hand.

Chair height is correct when your forearms rest on the table when your arm is bent at the elbow at 90º

Physical therapy and strength training or occupational therapy will help. You should be able to get a referral from an orthopedic doctor or surgeon. If you are in a college or university town they may have a sports med clinic that you can join or attend geared specifically to your needs. If you can, visit an orthopedic dr and they will usually get you set up on an excersise regime that will strengthen the stabilizer muscles, possible get you started on anti inflammatories and help correct your posture to prevent further injury.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I have ben going to the chiropractor since July, so I've been very conscious of my posture, but I did not consider the height of my chair. I guess I was so aware of my neck, my chair might be lower than it should be so that it didn't hurt my neck to look so far down. And as for waking me up, no, it doesn't. At least not yet. When I am not moving my arm, there is no pain. But it feels like my bones are grinding together. I've been informed that it could be a bone spur or perhaps the beginning of arthritis. And that I should start taking glucosamine chondroitin asap. So that is what I will do, along with adjusting my chair height! Thanks again for everyone's concern, I truly appreciate it!

Jessica

Latest posts

Back