Preventative Botox | The Baby (well 20-somethings) Botox Boom

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The concept of preventative Botox is not a brand new one. Even on this site, there was a thread posted way back in 2009 about the issue and here we are, three years on, in the middle of a preventative Botox boom.

The number of women in their twenties getting 'preventative' Botox is at an all time high, especially in America. Whereas two years ago we were somewhat surprised and shocked at the idea of 22 year olds jumping on the Botox bandwagon, now it's regular fare on the books of plastic surgeons and it looks like its popularity is set to grow.

Now, as a 30-ish year old geek, I'll admit, I'm starting to see (and feel genuine concern over!) some fine lines and wrinkles that are starting to appear. I understand the emotions involved. I understand the pressures that we face in the modern world and the modern workforce; the world is far more competitive on every level whether it's at the school gates or in the boardroom. What I don't understand is why girls in their twenties are worrying about ageing when it hasn't even happened yet!

What are we teaching them that makes them willing to inject themselves with Botox and spend hundreds of pounds in the process to fight something that isn't even happening to them yet? I don't know about you, but I couldn't even comprehend the reality of wrinkles and old-age when I was in my early twenties. It was something that happened to my mum!

Not only that, what are the risks? Starting earlier means that you're going to be injecting yourself with Botox for a lot longer - perhaps for decades - and the simple fact is that we haven't been using Botox regularly enough for long enough to fully understand the long-term effects. The theory is that early use of Botox will prevent you from putting pressure on those high-risk wrinkle areas thus ensuring that the wrinkle doesn't develop in the first place. So, unless you're going to keep it up your whole life, there's not much point in starting.

I wonder, too, whether these girls are just as willing to put the hard work into looking young too? Are they eating right, sleeping enough, only drinking alcohol moderately, staying away from sun beds and ensuring they aren't over-exposing themselves to natural sunlight? Or are they simply looking for the quick fix, easy option?

Dr. Debra Jaliman, a dermatologist on New York City's tony Fifth Avenue, states it clearly: early engagement can stop the clock. But geeks, I ask you, why are we so desperate to stop the clock? I don't know much for sure, but I do know this, in the fight against ageing we will always, without fail, 100% lose. It is not possible to look twenty-one for ever and frankly, if you try to, you're going to end up looking a lot worse (and weirder) than you will if you grow old gracefully.

But, who am I to lay down the Botox law? What say you geeks?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• botox.jpg
    botox.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
I can't help but think they are doing it more to look like they are doing the 'latest' thing (think Katie Price getting it done nearly every week). More money than sense and the desire to fit in is probably the motive, dread to think how these people will feel when they're wiser and older and regret doing it to themselves.

I think 20's is maybe a bit too early to start but 30's is acceptable.
I LOVE my botox :biggrin:

I'm 32 and have been thinking about Botox since I was 29. A couple of my friends get it done. One looks fantastic, she has great skin. The other looks ok, her skin not so great. Not bad, but not great.

I don't have great skin. I've decided I'd rather have a good course of micro dermabrasion, or similar, before Botox. I will definitely get it done but I want amazing skin first.

I am 29 and first had botox at the age of 27 and to be honest i wish 'id have waited a few more years. My wrinkles/lines weren't too bad but were getting me down so decided botox was the option for me and while it does make a a really big difference i do now have to keep it up as when it wears out i can definatly notice the difference. I didn't realise when i first had it done how much of a difference it would actually make. Im also thinking now about having fillers around my mouth area (smile lines) as when i have botox i am wrinkle free but then the smle line wrinkles are more noticable, it's never ending lol
I will also add my niece's mom is 20 she firstst had botox at the age of 18, aswell as a list of other cosmetic surgery.

Well I'm 25 (nearly 26) and don't have any wrinkles yet. I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.
I don't think I'll have Botox ever even when I do get wrinkles. I'm not against it, people can put what they want into their bodies that's up to them, I just don't think it's for me.
Although I have seen one of the geeks work on here who does Botox and fillers and their works amazing.

I think people in their 20's can use Botox if they like but I don't really see the point on it yet, unless you've had a very hard life and are showing it on your face.

So yeah, c'est la vie. Do what you want. (Sorry for babbling, I'm a bit tired! Lol)

hehe wondered if i should steer clear of this page.... but I am infact one of those 20 something who has had botax, In my defense ;) my surgeon asked me if deep lines ran in my family when I replied no my mother and nanny have great skin he looked shocked/confused I didnt have frown lines typical to those of women my age (23) (i like to think thats because im always happy and lifting my brows as appose to to frowning lol) my surgeon also has refused to do clients he feels DO NOT need it so i dont feel as though he was just taking my money. I think generally people are for or against cosmetic procedures, I am for all the way, thats just my opinion. I dont suffer with great skin as it is and being a beautician I know its constantly under scrutiny, like would you like to get your hair cut by a stylist with bad hair? .... so when i started getting a complex then about my frown lines I went for a consultation, I have had it 4 months and I love it, I havent even thought about when I will next have it as they effects are still great, I will more than likely treat myself before Christmas again x

Latest posts

Back