Preventing cancellations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precious Joelle

Reaction score
How do you go about this? And with people you know?

Im a bit miffed as my husbands friends wife was booked in for 5pm for eyelashes. Then I get a message at 5.20pm saying she was running late at work and has some important stuff to do at home so will need to rearrange.

How do you go about it?
Being a new buisness im not sure the best way to prevent it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You will never be able to prevent it. Sometimes peoples lives are busy, god knows how many times I have had to cancel or rearrange appointments. Luckily in all the years I have never had a deposit put against me as I am loyal but sometimes these things cannot be prevented. If it continues maybe it would be easier if the lady called you on the day when she needs an appointment and then see if you have any spare availability or suggest a weekend or late night appointment. Sometimes if you want a client you have to put yourself out to assist them.

I'm not sure about the attitudes I read of 'sack them' 'get rid of them' ...probably as I'm not that way inclined as more often than not I have been the client cancelling! I now understand it from both points of view and I do go out of my way to help.

We have a clear 'published' cancellation charge but if a client rearranges straight away I waive the fee as a good will gesture.

I find the threat a great deterrence, and have minimal cancellations. I've only ever once enforced it. When a new client was particularly rude needless to say she never paid and I never saw her again.

I agree with virtues when building a new business it's part and parcel. I do find appointment reminders really helpful here as well.

I agree with appointment reminders....I always text clients the day before and that has greatly reduced last minute cancelllations or the dreaded 'no shows'...really works xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek mobile app

The other posters are correct- you will get cancellations, so get your terms & conditions known. Appt reminders do work although I do not use them! I tend to give the first one a bit of slack but then remind them that a fee is chargeable. Also with long appts take a deposit. It is awful to sit for 2 hours when you could have filled the time with someone else. If they know you mean it you will get less clients doing it. A card machine is definitely worth the investment.

If people are 5 mins late I text them if they are ten mins late I ring them, they soon get the message that I am busy and have other clients.

Send texts, post on Facebook when you are busy, it makes clients think about their appts. It may take time but of you are firm the point gets through in the end. I have always been firm since I started and never have a problem

I had two no shows over Christmas so I just posted on Facebook saying

It's so annoying when you book someone in and they don't show and can't be bothered to phone and cancel !!! Yes you know who you are. I then put the date, time and initial.

Name and shame type of thing, but only they know it's them. I at least get the point over to them that I am annoyed about it.

It's so annoying when you book someone in and they don't show and can't be bothered to phone and cancel !!! Yes you know who you are. I then put the date, time and initial.

Name and shame type of thing, but only they know it's them. I at least get the point over to them that I am annoyed about it.

Omg id be horrified if it was me you named an shamed and id never come back!!! :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would definitely have a reminder system! I am soooo busy (work silly hrs, 3 little ones a dog an a hubby) and im sooooo forgetful! I have missed an appointment (doc/dentist/hair) simply because I haven't realised what day it was!! Our lives are hectic! So I always say text/email or call me to remind me!

A quick phone call or text to your clients the day before will not take long but will put your mind at ease! :)

Cancellations are annoying but if I were a client, or potential client, I would find that statement a bit unprofessional.

Surely there's another way to word it. I'd put something like "can I please remind everyone that I need as much notice as possible for a cancellation. This will allow me to offer the appointment to another client." The offending client will still know its aimed at them, I'm sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

In fact I was looking on verves Facebook page last night an there are some excellent designs for cancellations that he can design for you! Take a look !

Thats a very immature and unprofessional way of running a business. If I was a client (and not even the one that you where aiming your message at) I wouldn't return to you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Call reminders work fab for us. Gives us a chance to ask if they need anything else done too. :)

Also.... If they are a no show I call them and say..... Hi there it's .... You were booked in at ..... Just checking if your ok? That way they hopefully feel like you actually care rather than having the hump! Obviously I have the hump but remain calm and give the impression I'm concerned.

I always tell people my cancellation policy when they book in so they are prepared and it has reduced them greatly! X

If a client is late I'll call to check they are ok? (I genuinely get worried about them).

I've up to now not had a no show but if I did I would listen to the reason and treat each case individually. If the person did it again same as Virtues I wouldn't 'sack' them I'd politely ask them to call in on the day to check my availability.

I've had some late cancellations, it's usually poorly children (bugs, chicken pox) I tell the client that it's absolutely fine, these things happen, thank them for letting me know an wish the child a speedy recovery, and invite them to book again when thy are able.

Getting angry or upset doesn't help anyone, it gives people a negative view of your business, we've all not turned up at appointments or cancelled things last minute ourselves at some point.

Omg how unprofessional!! Id be mortified if someone wrote that about me if i forgot an appointment but also if i was an existing client or potential new client, i would not be visiting you with that attitude!

Actually I only did it the once and the two people did see it, they called to apologise and even rebooked. They had just got too drunk at Christmas office do's and completely forgot about me. I had however been working every night till late and did them a favour by squeezing them in.

They still come to me and now don't do No Shows anymore. We get on well and love what I do for them. I bend over backwards for all my clients. They just felt a little embarrassed but not so bad that they would not call me. I know them quite well and would never do this to someone I did not know well enough.

Obviously this is not professional and was just me letting off steam with those two particular people.

Oh yes, and I do send reminders to everyone. I have it set in my phone automatically.

Oh yes, and I do send reminders to everyone. I have it set in my phone automatically.

Can I ask how u do that? ??

Latest posts

Back