Problem employee- what to do??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julieanne27uk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who has a hair/beauty salon, she has a major problem involving one of her employees. To cut a long story short, the other two employees are refusing to work with her due to her childish ways and problems she has caused. She has had a informal warning for being late, and a verbal warning for verbally abusing a staff member a few weeks ago. She then had some time off for "personal" reasons. After returning to work this week, she is now totally blanking everyone except the boss. She won't speak to the other two girls at all, not even to ask if they want a drink when shes making one and is generally making the working environment miserable:cry: . Does anyone know what the owner can do about it? A longtime and valued customer is also due to give the owner a written letter of complaint about this staff member due to her rude attitude and unacceptable conversations and language in the salon.

This staff member was employed as a trainee on the understaning that she complete her NVQ Level2 in hairdressing. She couldn't be bothered turning up for collage, so they kicked her off the course. She was supposed to reapply and start in september, but has not even contacted the college yet!! The work she does in the salon is fine, but she has no customer service skills whatsoever.

How would you deal with her and the fact that the other staff are refusing to work with her. My friend is not very experienced at handling staff and management and has been far too nice to this girl to the extent that she is being walked all over. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Time for a written warning methinks, Then if she hasn't bucked her ideas up give her the sack. I'm not sure wether you have to get two written warnings though. It seems like she has broken her side of the contract already by not completing the NVQ, so maybe she could get rid of her on those grounds,

God, sorry not being much help am I .................:o

I think your right, she does need a written warning and then the boot! The owner is a little concerned about there being any come back for unfair dismissal if she sacks this girl, as she is a trouble causer. Since she opened her shop, she has tried to be a good boss and get on with all the employees. I think she was a little too trusting by thinking that they were all as honest and trustworthy as she is. Unfortunately its not the case.:sad:

It sounds like she's fed up or depressed, maybe the boss needs to find out whats making her so negative. If its just the case she dosen't want to do the job anymore then she should be advised to leave and find something more suitable.

Dawn

This girl is obviously unhappy about something, and it's manifesting itself as being a total cow to everyone around her.

It's very difficult to remain calm and objective when someone is behaving like this, so you mate has my deepest sympathies - I had similar problems when I was office based.

Personally I would sit her down and find out what is bothering her - you'll get a lot of the 'she said this....she said that....' rubbish but she needs to keep pressing her until she finds out the real reasons behind it all - it won't be comfortable for either of them, but once its out in the open everyone will feel better.

Once your friend knows the reasons behind it, it's time to sit everyone around the table and sort it once and for all. Again it will be uncomfortable but it needs to be done. It sounds like everyone is burying their head in the sand and hoping it will go away, but it's not and it's escalating by the sounds of it.

The girl causing the problems needs to be given some clear directions about what she needs to achieve and by when. For instance, she needs reminding her place at the salon is dependant on her NVQ, therefore she needs to get re-registered by the end of the week, and provide a copy of the acceptance letter from the college, or the appointment letter for an interview (whatever)

She needs to be reminded of the salon hours she is required to work and that she has already been warned once. She now has one more chance on a 'three strikes and you're out' basis (as long as this is in line with her contract). If she is going to be late she must contact the salon as soon as possible, even if the bus is running late, she can call from her mobile, etc.

She needs to know that verbal abuse is unacceptable in any situation, especially work, but I suspect this is mostly down to whatever personal problems she's having and it's frustration at the wrong person. However, that doesn't excuse it.

Show her the complaint letter from the long standing client, but no names need to be shown, it will just cause and atmosphere. Ask the empoyee for her comments and how she proposes the problems are resolved.

Sometimes empowering them to take responsibility for the problems helps rather than punishing them with warnings and disciplinary procedures.

Give everyone a time frame for a marked improvement (2 weeks-ish) and a round the table review, praise and reward if everyone has succeeded. Final warning and sack her if not!

Trin
xx

Is there anything in her contract about gross misconduct. I think that the complaint from members of the public about her conduct would be covered in Gross misconduct as it is loosing the salon business. I would be giving her the written warnings as soon as possible and then adios amigo to her.

valburt said:
Is there anything in her contract about gross misconduct. I think that the complaint from members of the public about her conduct would be covered in Gross misconduct as it is loosing the salon business. I would be giving her the written warnings as soon as possible and then adios amigo to her.

Be careful about 'gross misconduct' - get it wrong and you can find yourself in a whole host of trouble with unfair dismissal cases and all sorts.

Gross misconduct needs to be clearly documented before hand and are situations where no notice period will/shall be given. It usually includes things like:-

Being drunk at work
Taking drugs at work
Fighting at work
Theft
Bullying
Criminal damage

Things like complaint letters are not Gross Misconduct - although they are the basis for disiplinary procedure.

The Business Link are the best place for this kind of information - this page is about Dismissal

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdot...974&r.l1=1073858787&r.s=tl&topicId=1074200615

Remember.....a complaint is an opportunity to put things right and learn.......they are not necessarily a bad thing if handled correctly :D

Trin
xx

The boss needs to start being a boss and train her in customer and colleague skills. This might be start.

Latest posts

Back