Problem nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingbat

Reaction score
I saw an elderly lady to day, she has ezcema on hr body and is receiving light therapy. Her right hand nails are very bumpy and have some discolouration. She informed me that she usually files them to get them smooth. I don't do many nails so be honest I do not know what it is. The left hand is perfect. I did her left hand, and gently buffed the right. She was happy with this.
I have had a look at the threads about pitted nails, any advice would be good.

Thanks

Please help, I have had a look all over the place.

are the nails ridged ?? or just generally bumpy ?? , also what sort of light therapy is she having ?
if its only for her eczema then i would think you would be ok to give her a mani . eczema is not contagious .. hope this helps a bit x

Just bumpy and a some slight brown bits. She is diabetic too and has ingrowinf toenails and thick nails but I think that is just her age.

I have a few clients with eczema and they have ridged nails, in fact some of them are really pitted quite badly. I've found that the nails of eczema sufferers are slightly thicker than normal. After inspection, if I think they won't be weakened, I buff themn down to a nice shine. However, sometimes the ridges are too deep and it wouldn't do to buff too much off.
Use common sense on this one. :hug:

I have a few clients with eczema and they have ridged nails, in fact some of them are really pitted quite badly. I've found that the nails of eczema sufferers are slightly thicker than normal. After inspection, if I think they won't be weakened, I buff themn down to a nice shine. However, sometimes the ridges are too deep and it wouldn't do to buff too much off.
Use common sense on this one. :hug:
thanks for the advice, she doesn't have ridges just very bumpy like my acrylics when i first did then lol.
are any of the products going to do any harm?=
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi, If the client is a diabetic, the pitting in her nails may be caused by the medication she takes, Strange that it only seems to have effected one hand though but possible??

Take care filing down nails or using gel/acrylic products, Diabetics have less sensitivity in fingers and toes so can find it difficult to tell you if they feel any pain or discomfort.

Hope this helps?!

Thanks for the help, I think she has ezcema on her nails and I was worried about treating her.

could this possible be psoriasis?
just a thought my sis in law has got this and hers is caused by psoriasis on her so maybe this could be the same with your client. possibly that is i am only guessing.

There are lots of possibilities. With the problem being only on her right hand and the fact that she has a skin condition it may be that she uses her right hand to apply a medical cream e.g cortisone. This affects the nails quite badly if it touches them

She is diabetic too and has ingrowinf toenails and thick nails but I think that is just her age.

Thick nails are not necessarily age-related,they can be due to fungal infections or trauma.
If she has these problems then she needs a Chiropodist/Podiatrist to reduce the bulk of the thickened nails and she should have regular Diabetic Foothealth checks. She should be eligible for for NHS treatment at her local Clinic/Health centre. Maybe you could suggest she investigate this?
HTH

Latest posts

Back