Problem using MTW under L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had a go too. Last night I did a selection of tips with two very thin coats of more than white, I left them to dry for various times, between 15 minutes and an hour - I also left one tip with MTW on it to dry overnight. ALL of them have gone yellow - even the one I left overnight before applying clear L&P (Ez Flow). I also noticed that the L&P seemed to take longer to cure on top of MTW - it stayed very soft for a long time - is this what you meant, Carole.

Perhaps the answer is to just use it with Fabric# and fibreglass - surely we all can't be doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

JackieMc said:
I've just had a go too. Last night I did a selection of tips with two very thin coats of more than white, I left them to dry for various times, between 15 minutes and an hour - I also left one tip with MTW on it to dry overnight. ALL of them have gone yellow - even the one I left overnight before applying clear L&P (Ez Flow). I also noticed that the L&P seemed to take longer to cure on top of MTW - it stayed very soft for a long time - is this what you meant, Carole.

Perhaps the answer is to just use it with Fabric# and fibreglass - surely we all can't be doing it wrong? :rolleyes:
Hi Jackie: yeah that is exactly what i meant about it staying soft so i buffed it off even when i used a really high grit. We cant all be doing it wrong so it suggests it is not compatible with l&p. As you say i think i'll stick to using it under fibreglass. Shame really coz i was hoping to avoid doing smile lines with powder - damn!!

[ Shame really coz i was hoping to avoid doing smile lines with powder - damn!![/QUOTE]me too :|
but it is compatible ....because some techs use this product regurlarly under l&p
do you think we may have a bad batch ...can't think of any other reason i have tried about 30 tips today ..using different types of tips ...different brushes .....clear ...blush ...and pink powder...let dry for anything from two minutes to over two hours...used one thin coat and two ....:rolleyes:
but still they turn yellow before my very eyes ...i hate to be beaten ...there must be a reason for this girls ...i am sure that either the geek or geeg will have the answer ..maybe we are all doing something that we shouldn't
still offering to send my bottle of mtw to a tech that doesn't have a problem with the yellowing ...just to rule out the actual bottle i have .....any takers
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese
debbie

Kellyc said:
Hi wends i did my nails again the other day and left the mtw longer to dry, i also restricted using my top coat and my nails are still looking really white so im guessing its because i left the mtw longer to dry x

Kelly - which L&P did you use over the top of the MTW? I'm using Ez Flow and left a tip to dry overnight and it STILL turned yellow when I applied the L&P in the morning.

JackieMc said:
Kelly - which L&P did you use over the top of the MTW? I'm using Ez Flow and left a tip to dry overnight and it STILL turned yellow when I applied the L&P in the morning.
Hey Jackie: if you look higher up the thread, Mandy tried it with Creative l&p and it yellowed so maybe Debbie has a point and it is a faulty batch - what do you reckon?

I wouldn't mind seeing the results of someone who has success with it under L&P after using one of our 'yellowing' bottles - I've tried everything I can think of - even letting it dry overnight and yet it still yellowed.

Anyone out there who has had success with MTW under L&P want to try one of our bottles to see if it's a batch problem?

I can't comment on the MTW under L&P as I'ma fibreglass and gel girl.

I"ve never used MTW on my clients because I am still trying to get to grips with applying the product!!! :sad: It's mad, I can create a good smile line with white gel but not this :!: and the more I practise the more annoyed I get.

I used MTW on my little finger last night. The layers were quite thick, but only left to dry for approx 3 mins and have had no yellowing after applying the gel. Can any of you post your pictures of nails that you've done with MTW? I must be doing something wrong because I don't like the finished look wirh MTW.

Also I don't have any Nailfresh to tidy up the smile line and won't be placing an order just yet. Can anyof you recommend anything else. I;ve tried scrubfresh but the smileline 'bleeds' :lol:

louise try 'nailfresh' not 'scrub fresh'...works brilliantly hope this helps :)

Tracey, what is nailfresh?

I don't need to order anything from Creative at the mo, so wondered if I could use anything else?

Louise nailfresh is a high powered temporary dehydrator for the natural nail plate and will remove excess moisture and contamination (including MTW! from the plate)

plaoh said:
I can't comment on the MTW under L&P as I'ma fibreglass and gel girl.

I"ve never used MTW on my clients because I am still trying to get to grips with applying the product!!! :sad: It's mad, I can create a good smile line with white gel but not this :!: and the more I practise the more annoyed I get.

I used MTW on my little finger last night. The layers were quite thick, but only left to dry for approx 3 mins and have had no yellowing after applying the gel. Can any of you post your pictures of nails that you've done with MTW? I must be doing something wrong because I don't like the finished look wirh MTW.

Also I don't have any Nailfresh to tidy up the smile line and won't be placing an order just yet. Can anyof you recommend anything else. I;ve tried scrubfresh but the smileline 'bleeds' :lol:
You can use a little nail polish remover and it also does the trick!

JackieMc said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the results of someone who has success with it under L&P after using one of our 'yellowing' bottles - I've tried everything I can think of - even letting it dry overnight and yet it still yellowed.

Anyone out there who has had success with MTW under L&P want to try one of our bottles to see if it's a batch problem?
Jackie, i've just had another thought! I used it on a client under Extreme Powder Glaze and it was absolutely fine. But i suppose, again, the difference is its resin not monomer.

Many thanks Tracey and Carole for your help.

Kind Regards

Hi Ya, just wondered we have had a response to this query only i have two clients for acrylic this week and not sure whether to use the mtw or not?

just knocking this post back up see if we can get a response from someone at creative ...or someone who uses it under l&p with good results:)

Ok guys, i tried again last night using star nails acrylic and so far it hasnt turned yellow i will check it when i get home tonight and let you know x

I know you have been waiting for my response on this and I have been trying to seek an explanation without much success.

I use MTW allot under my Retention+. I use Perfect clear or Perfect natural powder over the MTW and then Perfect Pink over the rest of the plate. I have never seen yelowing of MTW on any of my customers even after 3 weeks never mind seeing it by the end of the service.

The formula has not changed, there has not been a 'bad' batch. I also have used it under Brisa Gel with perfect results and of course Fabric#. So I am stumped on this one.

For what its worth, I apply one or 2 thin coats of MTW and then proceed as above. I only ever wait 2 minutes but I don't let it pool at the free edge. MTW is not guaranteed to wrk with every monomer because it has not been tested with every monomer but it does work with R+ .. for me and many others.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any other solutions. I would have to see you working and know exadty what you were using in your system to be able to offer an intelligent reply or explanation.

Not much help, but I can only say ... if it is not working u nder L/P for you, then don't use it. for those who are having no problems then carry on.

debbienailz said:
hi everyone

i too gave up on mtw as i was having a problem with yellowing ...so today i gave it another try .i applied a thin layer of clear l&p (creative) let dry buffed lightly cleared away dust ...swiped with scrubfresh..then applied a thin coat to one tip and let dry for 6 minutes (wanted to make sure it was dry ) on another tip i reapplied a second thin coat and let that dry for a further 10 minutes .i then applied a thin coat of clear l&p over the top..my ratio was not too wet .they looked great but as the acrylic set the white turned slowly yellow.when i buffed them i didn't have a problem with the ends chipping just the yellow discolouration . i have two bottles of mtw ..so just incase i had a contaminated one i tried the same method with the other one ...same results:sad: i will try and post a pic so you can see how yellow they are ..my brush is new ...my monomer was only delivered this week ...so it definately isn't contamination ...i was wondering if anyone who doesn't have this trouble would be willing to let me send my mtw to them so that they can try it ...at least then i would know it was me not the product ...it's driving me mad :rolleyes:
thanks for any help you can give
debbie
p.s
sorry if the pic is not very good ...had to take about 60 to get this one ...not good with cameras...eventually had to buff the shine off to get it to show
icon_rolleyes.gif
Geeg: i have to say that my first thought was incompatibility with other monomers as it, obviously, wouldnt have been tested with another company's products! What i didnt understand was this post which was a technician who was using it with Retention+. I guess that, as you say, if you have a problem with it then don't use it - simple as that :).

I don't understand it either but then as I say, I cannot know everything the technician is using. Maybe a different prep, maybe a differnt type of tip maybe a contaminated brush ... I just dont know. I don't like being 'beaten' and not being able to give an answer, but there is lack of information somewhere.

Latest posts

Back