Problem with Sienna X

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonzarellas

Reaction score
Hi guys. I trained in July with sienna x, I did loads of research and decided to go with sienna x as the product was good and the customer service had good reviews. I'm having major issues tho with my clients saying the development is dark enough, and I'm now using 12 % on all my clients which is really annoying as I brought a package del with sienna x for tent, gun and a big bottle of 8% and 10%. I've been on the phone to to sienna x several times to see if it's anything I'm doing wrong, I've got my gun set perfectly now but the tans just don't seem to be dark enough. Is it something I'm doing or do I need to change product!? I do live in Essex and we like our tans a bit darker! I'm loosing business because if this, people who have said they would use me regularly aren't coming back! They say the tan is even but just not that dark! I've actually seen one of my clients the next day and completely agreed with her, she just had a light glow :Scared: any help / advice appreciated

Oh and happy new year ! :lol:

Could you add booster drops? Not sure if Sienna do them, but I add them to Aviva and it makes the tan darker. Might be cheaper than buying new solution.

Thanks for replying! I asked sienna x about the drops, they don't do it them and they tell you not to mix solutions either, I'm thinking of changing to fake bake - it's just annoying as I have loads of solution, done all my marketing flyers - I'm really disappointed in the sienna x product. When I did my training my tan was very light but I was sprayed with an 8%. I just think sienna x is a milder tanning product and now days people want a two weeks in Barbados tan!

Try nouvatan... If they like a dark tan 20% would be fab for them x I live in Essex also and no Excatly what you mean! Shame when you have invested so much into sienna x but nouvatan is cheaper too x

How much solution are you using per tan? Maybe your gun is set too low that your not applying enough of the solution for it to go dark enough.

If you'r gun is set correctly & your using the correct amount of solution then it looks like you will need to change to a different solution to suit your clients.

How much solution are you using per tan? Maybe your gun is set too low that your not applying enough of the solution for it to go dark enough.

If you'r gun is set correctly & your using the correct amount of solution then it looks like you will need to change to a different solution to suit your clients.

I did think this could be a problem, it's hard really to tell how much I'm using as the measuring lines on the containers are rubbish! But I reckon about 30 ml, I've set the gun so that when I test spray on couch roll the tissue is wet but not completely soaked through. I'm spraying people who I thought would normally need a 10 with 12 but still they aren't happy. I haven't used 16% yet but a they say that's for professionals I thought it would be too dark.. And orange! :Scared:

30ml is quite a low amount so maybe you need to apply more. How much do Sienna X say to use?

The aim for newish tanners is usually to get down to 50ml per tan (no matter what the brand is) then down a little more to 45ml possibly 40ml but I think 30ml may be just a bit too low as your clients are not going dark enough.

Either turn the gun up a smidgen OR once you have finished spraying them give them another quick once over (not a second coat but a quick mist over the body etc to get that extra solution on them).

Try nouvatan... If they like a dark tan 20% would be fab for them x I live in Essex also and no Excatly what you mean! Shame when you have invested so much into sienna x but nouvatan is cheaper too x

Thanks for responding!

I live in Brentwood towie land too so even darker tans expected here!

I'm going to get some samples from Nouvatan too then, thanks for the recommendation, I think there's a lesson for everyone starting out in the tanning business to learn here, don't invest in a product until you have tried it on your client base!

Nouvatan at the moment are doing a sample pack... Includes £10 off your first order x

Nouvatan at the moment are doing a sample pack... Includes £10 off your first order x

Ahh thanks for that, I'm going to get some in then give one of the girls I thought would be a regular customer a free tan, hopefully I can entice some clients back !

30ml is quite a low amount so maybe you need to apply more. How much do Sienna X say to use?

The aim for newish tanners is usually to get down to 50ml per tan (no matter what the brand is) then down a little more to 45ml possibly 40ml but I think 30ml may be just a bit too low as your clients are not going dark enough.

Either turn the gun up a smidgen OR once you have finished spraying them give them another quick once over (not a second coat but a quick mist over the body etc to get that extra solution on them).

When I spoke to Sienna x they said that about 50 ml - I went through the gun setting with them thoroughly - it's hard doing it over the phone tho of course! But I did the couch roll test and do it before I spray each time, so thought we got there as far as spray amounts concerned, the last tan I did I spray her all over twice to make sure I had full coverage as I thought maybe I'm not putting enough solution on but she still said it wasn't that dark when washed off... I'm going to turn the gun up as you suggest and spray my partner today to see whether it makes a difference, bless him he doesn't even like being tanned !

Thanks so much for your advice!

Alot of girls I've spray tanned in Essex like 16% in sienna x but then I think stronger the DHA is the more orange it looks... And orange is not a good look! Hope you get your clients back... It's just more people have heard of sienna x but if it's not working for you and your clients... Time to change xx

Alot of girls I've spray tanned in Essex like 16% in sienna x but then I think stronger the DHA is the more orange it looks... And orange is not a good look! Hope you get your clients back... It's just more people have heard of sienna x but if it's not working for you and your clients... Time to change xx

Exactly, sienna x did send me a 16% sample but I haven't used it as I didn't want my clients to look like come dancing contestants! A few of the girls I sprayed said the tan was a bit orangey for them anyway and that wax using a 12% so definitely think it's a product issue as well as maybe a gun setting issue!

If you & your clients are feeling that Sienna X is a bit orange then I would suggest you look at a brand that does a golden tan, like Nouvatan. As these don't go orange even in their higher percents.

Try changing your setting so your sparaying with more like 45ml as I feel nearly all solutions (no matter what brand) would be turning out lighter than expected with just 30ml being applied.

I got a sample of sienna 12% used it on my client the other day and she said it didn't look like she had a tan at all!! even though there was a tan line when she left? Decided I won't be using sienna for this reason X

I got a sample of sienna 12% used it on my client the other day and she said it didn't look like she had a tan at all!! even though there was a tan line when she left? Decided I won't be using sienna for this reason X

Thanks for replying! All my clients have a lovely tan line when they leave! Right up until they wash it off, it's so disappointing for them especially when they have a special night planned! I'm going to try a few different products now. It's interesting tho that you've had the same problem, do u normally use sienna x or was you just trying it out? X

If you & your clients are feeling that Sienna X is a bit orange then I would suggest you look at a brand that does a golden tan, like Nouvatan. As these don't go orange even in their higher percents.

Try changing your setting so your sparaying with more like 45ml as I feel nearly all solutions (no matter what brand) would be turning out lighter than expected with just 30ml being applied.

I'm definitely going to pay more attention to how much solution I use as I never really paid attention, I concentrated more on how the solution went on, but I maybe i need to use more solution too, so I think Ill try a new solution and change the gun slightly as you suggest - thanks very much for everyone's advice - it's helped !

Thanks for replying! All my clients have a lovely tan line when they leave! Right up until they wash it off, it's so disappointing for them especially when they have a special night planned! I'm going to try a few different products now. It's interesting tho that you've had the same problem, do u normally use sienna x or was you just trying it out? X

I was just trying out as I like the look of the packaging it would fit nice into my beauty room and they have a good range of retail products but after trialling I won't be going with them. I use LA tan and me and my clients love it so decided I will stick to it :). 10% brown is my most popular colour and it's quite dark, exactly what my clients want! X

I have used sienna x since 2009 and never had a problem I use mainly 12% and 16% and I have never seen a client look orange with it. It defiantly seems your not using enough solution maybe ask sienna to send a rep out and they can check your gun setting.

I've never had a complaint about the tans not being dark enough if they find 12 not dark enough they move to 16.

I have used sienna x since 2009 and never had a problem I use mainly 12% and 16% and I have never seen a client look orange with it. It defiantly seems your not using enough solution maybe ask sienna to send a rep out and they can check your gun setting.

I've never had a complaint about the tans not being dark enough if they find 12 not dark enough they move to 16.

It could well be my setting, my last client I sprayed all over twice just to make sure she had full coverage but still she said the tan wasn't that dark. Most people I know who use sienna x seem to spray in 12% or 16% yet they sell you 8% and 10% with your kit which is annoying! I don't know whether it cold also be an area thing a people like to be really dark here!

Latest posts

Back