Problems with boss: Need some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotslass

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,

I hope someone out there can offer me some advice about a problem im having with my new boss. She just opened a salon without any beauty experience and without any client base. Basically i was meant to be 30hrs per week but this has been cut down to 24hrs and 2moz she wants to talk about cutting more hours cause we are not busy (only open 9weeks).
She told a member of staff today that it is our own fault our hours are being cut cause we are not bringing in enough clients and until we are made permanent she holds all the cards over hours etc.
I was wondering if that is the case? Surly she cant just keep cutting my hours when she feels like it? Im not self employed so i cant see why i have to be bringing in extra clients and the majority of the time im fully booked mind you it all groupon deals.
Any advise would be helpful as im having a meeting 2moz xxx

Hi, not really sure what to advise but didn't want to read and run. do you have a contract which states your hours? If so I'd imagine that she cant just change your hours but if not then she probably can. :(

After 9 weeks, you do not have a huge amount of employment rights. You can be dismissed at any time during your first two years. She may be cutting hours to try and keep your jobs going rather than having to let you go.

If you are unhappy, it may be better to get another job.

I do firmly believe it is the responsibility of everyone in a salon to work hard at getting clients, keeping clients, and creating revenue for the salon in order to keep jobs safe.
No revenue means no job. Maybe read up on retailing and upselling/ cross selling techniques to apply to those groupon groupies?

thanks for your replies. I have been given a contract to read through which says 16hrs per week but this is not active until dec '12. Its rubbish to her she can do what she wants with my hours especially when i took the job on the understanding it was 30hrs.

So far the boss has sacked 5 other therapists leaving 3 therapists and a full time receptionist. I know i need to retain clients and have brought family in for treatments but its hard when she does not advertise the salon and all we do most of the week is groupon :(

Groupon is the devil, I agree its your job to retain and offer add on's and make sales, as you aren't self employed you are not responsible to advertise. I would think about recommending she advertises via papers and all staff doing a leaflet drop rather than groupon. In regards to her not being in the industry her self, there are many very successful salons where the owner has no idea how to even hold scissors or tweezers so it shouldn't be an issue as long as you all work as a team. Xoxo

After 9 weeks, you do not have a huge amount of employment rights. You can be dismissed at any time during your first two years. She may be cutting hours to try and keep your jobs going rather than having to let you go.

If you are unhappy, it may be better to get another job.

I do firmly believe it is the responsibility of everyone in a salon to work hard at getting clients, keeping clients, and creating revenue for the salon in order to keep jobs safe.
No revenue means no job. Maybe read up on retailing and upselling/ cross selling techniques to apply to those groupon groupies?

The 2 year rule no longer applies, employees have rights after their probationary period x

thanks for your replies. I have been given a contract to read through which says 16hrs per week but this is not active until dec '12. Its rubbish to her she can do what she wants with my hours especially when i took the job on the understanding it was 30hrs.

So far the boss has sacked 5 other therapists leaving 3 therapists and a full time receptionist. I know i need to retain clients and have brought family in for treatments but its hard when she does not advertise the salon and all we do most of the week is groupon :(

If you have signed an agreement or not, employment law still applies. That means on your side as well as your employer x

Call acas 08457 474747 they can advise you on your rights to do with any employment issue x

Get some advice from ACAS or citizens advice. I was a legal executive in employment law for years, but I lef that industry when I decided to re-train and become self employed and there have been significant changes to employment law since then so any advice I gave you is likely to be out of date and no longer valid.

Regarding it being your fault that your hours are being cut because you're not bringing enough clients in, I actually laughed out loud when I read this because its the biggest joke I've heard all week!! If you were self employed then fair enough, the onus is on you to create your client base, and as an employee I agree that its your job to retain clients through good customer service, but I assume you have been employed as a stylist/therapist, not a marketing manager? It's her business, and it's her job to research and employ the most effective and relevant advertising to generate the client base. What does she expect you to do? Stand in the street handing out leaflets in between treatments? Once the clients are through the door that's your time to shine, and show the client what a fantastic service you offer and promote repeat business, but as a stylist/therapist who is employed by someone else I fail to see what you are supposed to do to generate a client base.

I think your boss needs to stop blaming everyone else for her own shortcomings and focus on something more productive, and perhaps you might be better looking elsewhere to see if you can find some more reliable employment.

sorry to hear about ur situation. I agree fully with this, your been used as scapegoats.

I would bet that if the turnover went thru the roof that she would take credit and you wouldnt see a penny of it.

call ACAS. I know a fantastic employement law solicitor but suspect the cost would outweigh the benefits. Happy to get the number tho if you do ever want it.

Get some advice from ACAS or citizens advice. I was a legal executive in employment law for years, but I lef that industry when I decided to re-train and become self employed and there have been significant changes to employment law since then so any advice I gave you is likely to be out of date and no longer valid.

Regarding it being your fault that your hours are being cut because you're not bringing enough clients in, I actually laughed out loud when I read this because its the biggest joke I've heard all week!! If you were self employed then fair enough, the onus is on you to create your client base, and as an employee I agree that its your job to retain clients through good customer service, but I assume you have been employed as a stylist/therapist, not a marketing manager? It's her business, and it's her job to research and employ the most effective and relevant advertising to generate the client base. What does she expect you to do? Stand in the street handing out leaflets in between treatments? Once the clients are through the door that's your time to shine, and show the client what a fantastic service you offer and promote repeat business, but as a stylist/therapist who is employed by someone else I fail to see what you are supposed to do to generate a client base.

I think your boss needs to stop blaming everyone else for her own shortcomings and focus on something more productive, and perhaps you might be better looking elsewhere to see if you can find some more reliable employment.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

The 2 year rule no longer applies, employees have rights after their probationary period x

Incorrect. You can be dissmissed at any time in the first two years if you were employed after April 6 this year

Incorrect. You can be dissmissed at any time in the first two years if you were employed after April 6 this year

Agreed..., if within 2 years there is nothing you can do and probationary period can be extended at their discretion.. The only way you would have case in if there was any discrimination against you for say race, disability etc...
ACAS will confirm this, my niece was in this exact situation last month.
If I were you I'd be looking for another position if you can x

I should think that if your boss has only been open 9 weeks & already is having to cut staff hours, she must be out of her mind with stress & worry & probably thinks that by cutting your hours, it may actually help you keep your job (if you want to, that is).

You say you're fully booked, but what is your re-book & upsell rate like? Are a good percentage (well non Groupon clients anyway) of the clients you do re-booking for the same? Are you getting them to re-book in for something else to get them to spend more money?

Yes, it's up to the salon owner to get clients through the door in the 1st instance but after that it's up to the individual therapist to make sure they come back & keep spending.

Oh the amount of staff I've had over the years who have started off part time but with enough clients coming through the door to become full time. The times they end up leaving to get a job with more hours elsewhere - errr if they had most of the clients re-booking & coming back, they would have had the hours.

I think your boss has over analysed her expectations of what the beauty salon would achieve straightaway, and this is probably why she has given you all full time hours. I think she should of started with one or two therapists and slowly built it from there rather than giving hope to 5 - 6 therapists. I can understand why your boss isn't happy with the therapists not being able to retain clients because thats what you are expected to do. However you should point out that majority of your customers are groupon deals and these sort of clients are not likely to return.....all they want is a good deal and not always looking to pay full price. Ask her to do as much local advertising as possible, maybe hold a charity event to help promote the salon and services. If she keeps reducing all of your hours and amount of staff, she could end up with no staff, which will mean no business for her. Try your best to work with her and help her as much as you can to help grow the business. The busier you are the happier you all will be and hopefully the more money you will earn. :)

I would be searching for another job. She cannot guarantee you anything by the sound of it and could let you go any time.
I find it ridiculous that she expects you to get the clients. If you were self-employed, fair enough but you are employed by her so it's her job to get you the clients.
What you can probably suggest that she looks into advertising and stop that Groupon deal.
I wish you good luck, it's not fair on you to have your hours cut just like that.

Tabatha takes over time me thinks xoxo

Latest posts

Back