Problems with pedicures-what are your thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trained at the Yorkshire School of beauty, I trained with Jessica the original nail company and then after years of working in beauty I am now a Jessica trainer. You are getting rid of the dry skin so you do it with dry feet. That's how iv always always been trained and that's now how I continue my training! Everyone has an opinion and a way that they do their treatments. Some obviously better than others

And some obviously have better manners than others.

It must be nice to be so sure that one is correct even when other professionals around you don't agree.

That though is why Salon Geek is so amazing. We really don't need to agree with each other on processes.

But we should all agree to show and speak with respect for fellow geeks.

Peace and respect.

I love doing pedicures (just don't rub callous remover in to the persons leg like I apparently did on my very first one, lol). I really like waterless pedicure systems. It is something I'm going to use myself when I start up. I can see how it can be a time and money saver but be just as relaxing and enjoyable to the client. That way you don't have to buy a pedi throne and just get a comfy lazy boy chair or massage chair for them.

I was taught to soak then buff off dry skin, but, I have now changed and get much better results by
dry buffing dry skin
Soak
Buff damp
File nails
Cuticles etc etc

I get must better results like this now. Lovely soft skin after masks or moisturisers.

I always thought there was more of a risk of the dry skin cracking if you file when dry? I have done both ways on my own feet and they always feel so much smoother when I soak first then file. Just my opinion.

i'm just upset i've been doing it all wrong for the last 22 years...Damn

I have been trained with Jessica, but also been doing beauty therapy for 20 years. Using a foot file before soaking is what I was taught with Jessica training. Soaking first then foot filing after is how I was taught at college. I would imagine at the end of the day it is down to personal preference. I personally prefer soak then file.

Well I soak feet, then foot file. This was how I was trained to do it.
Each to their own but I'd rather not breathe in foot dust, yuck!

I trained at the Yorkshire School of beauty, I trained with Jessica the original nail company and then after years of working in beauty I am now a Jessica trainer. You are getting rid of the dry skin so you do it with dry feet. That's how iv always always been trained and that's now how I continue my training! Everyone has an opinion and a way that they do their treatments. Some obviously better than others

I was always taught that it's not what you say, but how you say It.

Being less acerbic and putting across a reasonable and well-thought-out point would've gotten you an entirely different reaction.

Back in the day, foot files were quite inefficient. Not the case today, so i can see why companies may have taught to file first then soak. But in my opinion its a terrible mess and literally skin dust is all over for 3-4 feet in all directions. I use a stainless file base that uses disposable 80- and 120 sticky paper to do the filing. No trouble filing wet or soaked feet with this tool.
I agree with the above post that if a question instead of a judgemental broad statement had been made to start with, a much more educational list of posts would have ensued. Hope you all have a good weekend!!

Can anyone recommend a decent pedicure file? I was taught to file before soak and have been impressed by the results. When I've tried to file after soaking I find that the bits of soft skin get caught up in the file and it ends up a gooey mess IYKWIM. I'm using the emery board type not the metal cheese grater type.

I would prefer to file after soaking (I'm mobile) because as a client I think you are ready to get your feet in that water ASAP. It's also a lot more pleasant for me to work on clean feet.

So, is there a better type of file that's suited to filing after soaking? :)

I do feel the same... however I have a basic pedicure and a spa pedicure the spa pedicure includes more intense massage and foot scrubbing. People cannot expect to come in with not-taken-care-of feet and expect miracles for $40.00 I explain what the difference is and let them decide although the first one I usually give them if they are new is a spa pedicure at the price of basic to get them hooked and realizing what they are paying for is worth it. Our time costs money just like everyone else. I charge 25 for my basic which takes me 30 min and 35 for spa and I believe as your years of experience go up so should your prices but moderately I mean they can choose to go to a cheaper place but if thats the case they get what they paid for and you dont want clients that dont respecy and appreciate your time and what you do.

It appears that in the saga of 'to file or not to file' (before or after soaking), it's the Jessica way or the highway!

To the original poster I'd say that if I were you I'd price the luxury pedicure higher, keep a standard pedicure (no mask or paraffin) at your current price and offer a cheapy express option for those on a budget.

I personally know I don't charge enough for pedicures considering the time and product it takes but I have soooo many regulars who wouldn't dream of not having their monthly pedicure, they are my bread and butter really, in contrast to the expensive salon I used to work at where people would only have pedicures before their holiday. And to be fair a lot of these pedicure clients also have eyebrow shapes, buy polish & moisturisers and are my best advertisers in terms of good word of mouth... It must be the amazing job I do of removing their hard skin, AFTER soaking (but once totally dried off) lol

I've always soaked and then filed. It's not a matter of what is the right or wrong way of doing it... It's down to preference and they way that you were taught. In the end of the day we are all trained professionals... How dare anyone question our methods.

I think you will find that in The Complete Nail Technician reference book, written by no other than Marian Newman,( to go along with your NVQ etc which is industry standard, not distributor standard), you soak feet first. But if you have a preference then so be it.

Answering the op, I personally soak first, and offer 3 different types of pedis, they range from £18(quick pedi) to £35, I think you and some others are selling your skill set short! X

I charge $32 US for my spa pedi and $25 for a basic. In my basic I remove polish, file, cuticles, light massage, hot towel, and re-polish. I add to this foot filing and a deeper more thorough massage for my spa pedi. I also have add on services such as callus removal session at $10 and a moisturizing foot masque for $5. (I love ticklish people less work =0)) My time is sorely lacking though. For a spa it takes me 90 min and for basic it takes me 60. How can I cut down my time? Also I see you are using gelish. I was licensed 12 years ago before gel polish made its arrival. I am having issues with gel polish. Can you outline a specific timing for your pedi like how long should each part take and any useful tips on how to cut mine down. Also what is the best way to deal with peeling skin near latteral folds and on bottom of feet even after filing???? Thanks

Well this post has made me have a good think about how I was taught at college to do pedis! We were taught to check and soak/sanitize the clients feet first then do clipping & apply cuticle remover then leave to soak and do other foot. Then do cuticle work, nail buffing back to soak, do the other foot then take out dry feet do hard skin removal, exfoliate (back in bowl of water) then remove feet, massage and polish!

This seems to me like a lot of in and out of each foot which I dnt think would be very relaxing :-/ can someone advise me of a better way to do these without so much swapping and changing?

Also I do my pedicures with client on massage bed with the back sitting up and there feet in the bowl. Would you feel comfortable with this? My room is only small so there's no way i would fit a chair in there unfortunately.

Me too! I love Callus Peel for pedi's and so do my clients. It works brilliantly, no foot dust and no way of removing too much skin.

I like to use Callus Peel for hard skin for exactly this reason.
I can't stand the thought of breathing in other peoples foot skin.

Apply Callus Peel, wrap, then scrape off..... no air borne foot skin.

Not sure if this is the right thread but can u help please. Pic below is of a clients toe nail. It is literally fused to her foot with skin. Any ideas what this is?? Didn't want to cut it as didn't want to hurt the client. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363120917.041628.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363120917.041628.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 191
Not sure if this is the right thread but can u help please. Pic below is of a clients toe nail. It is literally fused to her foot with skin. Any ideas what this is?? Didn't want to cut it as didn't want to hurt the client. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I really don't know what I'm looking at here. Your pic is a bit unclear. I would recommend the client see a podiatrist. This isn't our department, we're in the beauty industry, we're not doctors. Although I've had many a client expect me to diagnose their ailments. :eek: I have to keep reminding them I went to "Beauty College" not "Medical School".

I really don't know what I'm looking at here. Your pic is a bit unclear. I would recommend the client see a podiatrist. This isn't our department, we're in the beauty industry, we're not doctors. Although I've had many a client expect me to diagnose their ailments. :eek: I have to keep reminding them I went to "Beauty College" not "Medical School".

Lol I agree I did the best I could with what I had 😁

Latest posts

Back