Procedure of doing gel nail extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hi,
Im a mobile beauty therapist and do lots of treatments but I dont do nail extensions. I get them done in a beauty salon, but it looks so simple that I think I could do my own. So im gonna buy the cnd tips and not sure which gel yet.
Is anyone able to let me know what ill need to buy in order to do them myself? I already have a uv lamp which I use for shellac so got the most expensive item. Can anyone also recommend a good gel to use over the nail tips?

Thanks

Tracy

Have you done any courses on gel enhancements ? As you will need to do a cnd course or a cnd conversion course to be able buy their enhancement products .

Hi,
I havent done any nail enhancement course, but am able to buy from them as bought shellac bits so they said that is fine. Im only buying to do them on my own nails so not a problem. Can anyone advise on procedure and products to get etc?

Thanks

Sweetsquared wont sell enhancement products to someone who is untrained in enhancements . I have an account with them but I can't order enhancement products willy nilly until I've completed my L+P course with them (last day beg Jan ) . Even then I can't order any gel products from then until I have completed their gel course.

Id recommend you take a class , enhancements are not as easy as they look to do as I've found out lol

Last edited:
I have just ordered some enhancement bits with them over the phone, they were fine about it. Ill just figure out myself then if no one is able to help.

I have just ordered some enhancement bits with them over the phone, they were fine about it. Ill just figure out myself then if no one is able to help.

Good for you , I have been told I cannot purchase gel/ l+p whilst unqualified in them.

I think you will get the same response from most people on here that you should take some classes and learn how to do it properly. It's doubtful that anyone will provide you step by step instructions on here so you can teach yourself without taking a proper training course.

It's probably best to take a course as oppose to just reading someone else's instructions or watching youtube videos, especially with enhancements. You may have questions about prep, application, aftercare, or troubleshooting problems, and you may find getting an answer difficult, whereas if you were taking a course, you can ask an expert and get immediate answers.

Also, with enhancements, they all look easy when we watch someone else do it. But you'll find tons of threads posted here of beginners struggling with their first few applications. There's alot more to it than just slapping products to nails.

Your nail technician is more than likely very experienced and good at what she does, which is why she makes it look so easy.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as it looks!

Your nail technician is more than likely very experienced and good at what she does, which is why she makes it look so easy.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as it looks!

Exactly! Ever had an inexperienced tech give you gel enhancements? My fingers still burn thinking about it!:Scared:

. I'll just figure out myself then if no one is able to help.

Good luck with that then!

There are plenty geeks on here who have done a lot of training to learn enhancements, both Gel and Acrylic (L&P) and paid out a lot of money to do so.

Therefore it is a bit naive or cheeky of you to think that because we make it look easy you can just teach yourself to do it.

How would you feel if a nail tech thought one of the treatments you are trained in looked easy so she just went off and got the products to use on herself?

If you are already trained in Shellac and manicures then you are right it won't take much to get you up to speed with Gel enhancements. You will learn a lot and realise that even applying and blending a tip is a skill in itself.
A one day course would be enough for you, then you could practise on yourself and soon offer it as a service, complete with Insurance cover.

A little tact could have been used on this thread !

Hiya I have just got an account with sweet squared and had to email a copy of my certificate so I could buy from them ie mani certificate and enhancement certificate.

There is so much to learn and is quite difficult.I don't think it would maybe take you to long to learn but think it's worth doing a short course and then even better than just doing your own nails you can add enhancements onto your treatment list :biggrin: x

Yeah think ill do a short course sounds like a good idea. Thanks

Latest posts

Back