Professional Beauty - Dublin - Comps - Any results?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Has anyone any feedback from the comps?

Just bumping back up.:)

I will post the results asap, as soon as PBN is over, i may actually also find time to go to the loo!

I will post the results asap, as soon as PBN is over, i may actually also find time to go to the loo!

I know you are up to your eyes Rachel hun.

I thought maybe one or two of the Geeks who were at the show could give us some feedback.

I know you are up to your eyes Rachel hun.

I thought maybe one or two of the Geeks who were at the show could give us some feedback.

If you pm Mrs o she will know!

From what I could see, not many Irish Nail Techs were placed, which is a shame considering it's a 'National Nail Comp', I hope they dont get put off entering in the future because of it. Nails are quite 'young' over here compared to the UK so I think it's a little unfair that people who are winning constantly in the UK come over and take a lot of the Irish places. I heard a few grumbles from people after the results were given.

Jackie

From what I could see, not many Irish Nail Techs were placed, which is a shame considering it's a 'National Nail Comp', I hope they dont get put off entering in the future because of it. Nails are quite 'young' over here compared to the UK so I think it's a little unfair that people who are winning constantly in the UK come over and take a lot of the Irish places. I heard a few grumbles from people after the results were given.

Jackie

Well we get tonnes of Koreans and Japanese and others in the UK comps who do the same thing!!

The girls who enter competitions have to win against hard competition ... that is what raises their game.

Nails aren't that new in Ireland ... if they are true competitors they want to win against a good field otherwise it is kind of pointless.

You could always have a separate section for Irish only or newbys. They do that in Germany .. They have a European section and then they have an 'others' section. In fact here in Spain unless you have a Spanish passport, you can't take the prize. You might win, but you don't get the money! :eek:

Jackie
Jackie - If find this a really sad, surprising and disappointing attitude and I'd hope your fellow countrymen would agree. I have competed many times in the UK and have been beaten by many different nationalities but where the winner has come from has not been an issue for me except admiration. Eastern Europeans, Koreans and Japanese always do well in the UK. If someone places better than me in a comp, it is me that is at fault if they beat me - not them!

I have often competed and not done well or got on the podium but I wouldn't ever want all those who perform better than me (regardless of where they are from) to stop competing just to give me a chance. If a greater competitor beats me, it only makes me more determined to improve. Otherwise I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

The only time I grumble about not placing well or winning is when I let myself down and don't do my personal best.

The competitions I like best are the ones where there is strong competition. Otherwise, the achievement doesn't feel great. Nails may be relatively new to Ireland but I am sure many of the Irish competition techs have been doing nails just as long (some longer I am sure) as I or many of the other UK competition techs have been doing nails.

Perhaps the Irish techs should come to the UK to compete at least for the experience. They are always welcome.

As has been suggest, perhaps additional categories are needed.

Christine, I'm from the UK so it's not as if I'm biased or have any anti Brit tendencies. And I don't feel my attitude is bad at all, I feel genuinely sorry for the Irish nail techs who may very well have been placed had it not been for the non-Irish nationals, who have repeatedly done well in UK competitions.

Nail Comps are relatively new here in Ireland (everyone here will tell you this - they haven't been going as long as the UK) and even experienced nail techs don't have the same competition experience as some in the UK. I know Irish Techs who have gone over to take part in the UK comps for the experience, knowing they won't place, but they are trying.

Whilst healthy competition is a good thing, Irish Nail Techs are going to get fed up of entering competitions that are being taken over by non-nationals and they're going to stop entering, which would be a shame. Ireland is a lot smaller than the UK remember, and we don't have the same ratio of nail techs that the UK does. There aren't the same amount of opportunities for people to train for competitions here either, compared to the UK.

I think having an 'Irish Only' section in the competition would be a good thing, it would certainly give more encouragement to Irish Nail Techs who aren't able to fly over to the UK for their one to one competition training.

There were a lot of disappointed faces after the results (as I'm sure there are in other countries too) but from what I was hearing, they'd have taken it on the chin a lot better had they not been beaten by seasoned competition winners from another country.

I doubt I will get any written support here, people don't like to rock the boat do they, but I know from the comments I heard that it's what a lot of Irish Techs are thinking, so it's not just my opinion I am voicing here.

And before anyone thinks it's just sour grapes on my part because I wasn't placed at all, I didn't enter any of the competitions.

Jackie

Well I'll tell you a story ... are you sitting comfortably??

A good few years ago now, Professional Beauty took the stand that Ketan Patel could no longer compete! Yes ... they kicked him out because he had won so many times. They said it was putting others off entering their competitions!!

I couldn't believe it. To stop a person from competing because he won?? Imagine if they had done that to Tom Holcomb in the USA? He has been competing and winning for 20 years and never been stopped. I thought it was disgusting that they finished the competing career of a brilliant nail technician because of a few 'sour grapes' from competitors who couldn't beat him ... weren't good enough to beat him.

Well, what happened??? The competitions went on and the standard went DOWN. The nails that won didn't even come close to the standard of the nails that had won before. It took YEARS for the standard to improve and even now I look sometimes at the winners and think ... Hmmm.

So enough sour grapes from those who might have placed if the competition standard hadn't been so high. If competitors really want to get experience they will travel to get it .. they will move heaven and earth to get it. The true winners will do whatever it takes.

No excuses about being a new market .. no excuses about being inexperienced ... in fact NO excuses. One is either good enough to win or they aren't and if they aren't they live to fight another day ... if they are true competitors.

I cannot agree with you at all Jackie. I have never won a competition in the UK and that win certainly doesn't come easy to most of us. If I didn't have a strong competition spirit, I'd have given up long ago. I have been battered and bruised at competitions the last two years. I have felt totally demoralised but never resentful that better techs won. It keeps me going and hopefully I will redeem myself one day.

As for competition training, yes I have had some and have paid for it, travelled quite a distance too and taken time out to do so. I haven't been given much for nothing. I have worked hard to try and achieve my best and that is what I strive to do in competitions.

Oh and it does cost for the UK techs to travel to Dublin too - they don't get free flight or hotel accommodation. They work hard and save to be able to compete as often as possible and to keep their skills at a high standard. They are in no better a position to travel and pay for comps than Irish techs.

Entering competitions is not only about winning either. Yes, I have reached the stage that winning is ever more imporant to me (it will come!) but I also enter for the education and buzz it gives me. Competing has forced me to address my weaknesses and has made me a better technician in the salon environment too. I have never came away from any competition without learning quite a lot.

Don't underestimate the Irish technicians. I am sure they get as much out of competing as the rest of us, whether they are on the podium or not.

I'm not making excuses - I just wonder how much pleasure the seasoned competiton winners get when they win or place against nail techs who really aren't in their league and who don't stand a chance against them - not really much of a victory, is it?

It's all very well saying if they want it bad enough they'll do what it takes, but if someone is continually beaten by what are 'professional' competition entrants - they're going to get disheartened.

I think the only way to make it fair on all competitors (who have to dig deep in their pockets to enter) is to have an Irish Only section in the comps and/or confine the people who have won (1st Place) more than 3 times to their own competition - at least then they will be competing against a group of their peers and the win should be so much sweeter for them - it also gives the other entrants who have to enter the current 'Master Level' (because maybe they were lucky enough to be placed once in the past) something to aspire to, rather than being beaten all the time by nail techs who should be in a higher level . With the extra 'Winners' category the constant '1st placers' can continue to compete as often as they want without having to be taken off the competition circuit and perhaps hold a rather prestigious title of 'Winner of Winners' for that year.

I dont think its a good idea to have an irish only section, for one how would you decide who is irish, would they have to be born in ireland or live there or have lived there.

Is there not already a novice comp, a comp for those who have been doing nails for over a year and a comp for the people who have placed already, as in the uk.

Last edited:
Jackie, the current categories already accommodate your concerns really.

A good competitor wants to compete against the best and I am sure the Irish like 'real' competition like the rest of us.

I have been 'bridesmaid' a couple of times, 3rd, 4th, 6th. I have yet to win but I wouldn't want an 'easier' competition. Yes, I get disheartened but I dust myself off, pick myself up and try harder the next time, ie Sunday.

Wish me luck!:hug:

I dont think its a good idea to have an irish only section, for one how would you decide who is irish, would they have to be born in ireleand or live there or have lived there,. Is there not a novice comp, a comp for those who have been doing nails for over a year and a comp for the people who have placed already,as in the uk.

An Irish address would be a good starter! Even though that could be got around. But having sat and thought about it, perhaps the 'Winners' category that I mentioned might be more suitable, for other countries as well as Ireland.

There was Novice, Technician and Master level, but the trouble with the Master Level is that is lumps everyone in together if they have been placed 1st to 3rd in any competition. As I've said, Nail Comps over here haven't been going that long and the standard at the beginning was nowhere as good as I've seen (back then) from UK techs (no offense to Irish techs), so some Irish Techs may 'technically' belong in the current Master level but just not be up to competing against the constant UK winners.

If '3 Times' winners were placed in their own category surely it would give them something to work for, it's more of a challenge, knowing they were competing against the best of the best rather than a group of techs that hadn't quite got to that level yet?

having been a regular competitor for 3 or so years now i believe the in a way we are setting a standed, with you saying nails are still young in ireland isn't it good if we come over to show the level so that it catches on? if people are getting disheartened by this then they are not learning from there experiences this is just my opinion,

When i compete i am still as nervous as when i did my 1st competition because the standards do get higher each time so its harder to stay at the top, but each time i have competed i have learnt something from someone else.

Things are changing tho and this is why the championships are good because the people that do win all the time get filtered out for a year if you like allow new people to win.

I'm sure Chocolate will take your considerations on board Jackie. It will keep her out of mischief lol!:)

Just a little point.
Jackie referred to "professional" competitors. Im not sure what that refers to, but just to put the record straight, I have been placed 1st in the UK 10 times in the last 10 years, I have travelled to Germany and the US to compete.

I have never been sponsored and on average it costs me in excess of £1200 a year to travel and compete in the uk.

The nailympics alone costs me £700 in hotel travel and entry fees!
Competing was something that took me about 4 yrs to achieve a placement, and 1 yr i managed to get placed 2nd three times:irked:

It may seem to some newbies that the seasoned compers swan in and take all the glory, but looking at it from their point of view, you have to admire their determination and desire to travel and part with loads of their own money.
After all they may seem to be guarrenteed a result, but believe me, sometimes the smallest thing can go wrong, I could write a book on it:eek:

Sorry, mayb that was a few small points!

After all they may seem to be guarrenteed a result, but believe me, sometimes the smallest thing can go wrong, I could write a book on it:eek:
quote]
LOL! I think I could write a book on what not to do and possible pitfalls.

This weekend at Manchester is costing me £500 to cover me and my models costs and that is keeping everything to a budget. I just need to do all the more nails to keep the bank manager happy.

I'm a competition addict and it aint a cheap hobby.

Wouldn't it be nice to be sponsored!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back