Professional is as Professional does!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I chose to post this in Nail Geek as it doesnt really seem to affect other trades, or I am not as aware of it in Skin and Hair. I know I am not asking a question but this is really doing my head in.

Personally Ebay is the scourge of our industry - there are so many people who use ebay to make a fast buck off of naive and untrained people wishing to be nail technicians. As long as you guys are supporting and promoting buying from ebay then the professionalism will always be in question in our industry.

Here is a post made by Samantha a couple of days ago and I think we should all read it and decide whether we wish to be professionals or not.

Scenario:
Client: I am looking for something a little different for my nails.. nail art perhaps?
Tek: Sure I can help you there, I did a home learn course off eBay.

I'd run a mile!!
You may say 'shut up Sam it's only nail art for crying-out-loud', You may say, 'well I wouldn't say this' or 'I wouldn't tell the client that', but the question is WHY wouldn't you?

If you had learnt your trade some place that was known and respected, you would be proud and shouting from the roof tops... 'I've just done an amazing course in Nail Art at the XYZ school' but EBay????

Come on girls! When is it going to sink in that our trade is PROFESSIONAL... why can't we act like it and do things properly rather than half assed and always on the cheap?

Why is it that we expect lawyers, doctors etc to have achieved a degree in their chosen field but in our line of work... 'Yeh I just did a 1 day course to do nails....', 'I just learnt nail art from a course I bought on eBay'...

Does anyone see where I am coming from???

I chose to post this in Nail Geek as it doesnt really seem to affect other trades, or I am not as aware of it in Skin and Hair. I know I am not asking a question but this is really doing my head in.

Personally Ebay is the scourge of our industry spot on & i agree when it comes to CHEMICAL PRODUCTS AND ANYTHING THAT APPLIES TO THE SKIN but seriously there are some reputeable suppliers on there that sell salon furniture and always deliver what they promise(as i quoted on an earlier thread) - there are so many people who use ebay to make a fast buck off of naive and untrained people wishing to be nail technicians.yep they make me annoyed ..but hang on a min.. it's not just ebay ..you can get D.I.Y kits in your local supermarkets & shops for 20 quid!! why are they the goverment health bigwigs allowing that when they know the risks & damage caused by them as i thought only TRAINED people use CHEMICAL PRODUCTS..that's what i don't get>? mrs shopkeeper isn't going to ask for certificates is heshe. As long as you guys are supporting and promoting buying from ebay then the professionalism will always be in question in our industry. i do not buy professional products from ebay nor do i intend to...i support my UK suppliers for example CND,S-SQUARED,Beauty express and capital 300% or suppliers that ask you for proof of qualification(which imoh should be happening as i made a point of doing this a while bk and was never questioned even from a reputable supplier)

Here is a post made by Samantha a couple of days ago and I think we should all read it and decide whether we wish to be professionals or not.
yes i read it and i totally agree

Scenario:
Client: I am looking for something a little different for my nails.. nail art perhaps?
Tek: Sure I can help you there, I did a home learn course off eBay. YIKES YOU DID WHAT !!

I'd run a mile!!
You may say 'shut up Sam it's only nail art for crying-out-loud', You may say, 'well I wouldn't say this' or 'I wouldn't tell the client that', but the question is WHY wouldn't you? MAYBE TO LOOK LIKE A PROFESSIONAL ..OR IN MOST CASES..THEY HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT THEYRE ON ABOUT

If you had learnt your trade some place that was known and respected, you would be proud and shouting from the roof tops...TOO RIGHT I WOULD 'I've just done an amazing course in Nail Art at the XYZ school' but EBay???? ERMMM NO!

Come on girls! When is it going to sink in that our trade is PROFESSIONAL... why can't we act like it and do things properly rather than half assed and always on the cheap? CHEAP IS NEVER AN OPTION ANY PROFESSIONAL NAIL TECHS WORTH THEIR SALT KNOW THIS ESPECIALLY IF THEY WANT TO GIVE THE BEST NAIL ART OR ENHANCEMENTS TO THEIR CLIENTS ,CLIENTS AREN'T STUPID THEY DO KNOW THE BRAND NAMES ,A FEW CLIENTS HAVE QUIZZED ME ON NAMES AND SMILE WHEN I DO KNOW AND KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Why is it that we expect lawyers, doctors etc to have achieved a degree in their chosen field but in our line of work... 'Yeh I just did a 1 day course to do nails....', 'I just learnt nail art from a course I bought on eBay'... OK I'M GOING TO RUN A MILE BUT ONE QUESTION ..CAN THEY BE REPORTED>?

Does anyone see where I am coming from??? YES I DO AND TOTALLY AGREE.

Last edited:
Sorry I was really only referring to professional, as in chemical products which we spend time and money learning how to use safely and properly.

Sorry I was really only referring to professional, as in chemical products which we spend time and money learning how to use safely and properly.

oh dear i feel bad now and hope i haven't got off on the wrong foot here as it wasn't aimed at your thread in any way.. naturalnails i do apoligise if i went too far into the thread ..i guess i got a little carried away by the agree\disagree side of things ive been reading recently on some of the threads regarding professionalism...but i do know what you are saying & referring too ....i do agree with the chemical product usage and qualifications to become a professional that is absolutely paramount .... i was only pointing out difference between trained\untrained and how do we know....it seems that anyone can walk into places nowadays and buy things like a nail kit there are plenty of them and call themselves NAIL TECHS buy a u.v lamp of ebay & carry out nail enhancements on the unsuspecting public without any heed or care or knowing what a nail disease or disorder is....i read a thread recently on people doing this and laughing in the face of the professional & insured NT that has spent years & money training like i have done.. there is a big NONO & petition about NSS and untrained so called nail techs then there should be laws against selling products that contain nail related nail enhancement products to the general public..also over the weeks ive read various threads on the geek site and ever wondered why we answer them (without sounding judgemental)..threads relating to using certain non professional (not mentioning names)products "fishing" for info you can't really do much about it except just say your peice & there is never an answer back ...

it's just me and how i would react being a professional in a non professional situation (which has happened once)and from a clients perspective ..i always look for certificates in a salon or ask them to produce certificates before anyone treats me ..if they don't show me or there is no one to confirm they are actually qualified then NO i walk out..i have been called a picky in your face so n so in the past...but it's my nails...my skin...my hair..my health ..i'm sure you & every other professional in the industry would do the same ..purlely out of concern for health.

although im re-training in nail enhancements because i need to and for the confidence to do them all ..i did gel nails yonks ago just never went thru with it as a service because i wasn't confident enough & although i have a NVQ in manicure\pedicure ,know all diseases and disorders going and a level 2 IHBC in nail art services like everyone else on the site ..i feel it does not give me the right to perform nail enhancements on clients safely without knowning my products ,safe uses and health and safety regarding gel\L&P\fibreglass & silk i don't think i would treat a client without having my certificates\diplomas (unless at college)or i know enough about the products being used .a friend of mine had an experiance with ebay ..she purchased a lot of nail enhancement related products and ended up throwing them in the bin..and she is qualified just thought she would save money but she was wrong.yes ebay is certainly the wrong place to shop on the chemical side of products...i wouldn't spend my money on them.

Last edited:
Fionna you're a star. I'll tell you why, I could see an advert from a mobile tech and decide to have treatment done but if after the treatment I decided to ask where they trained (most clients never ask) I would be horrified. I would immediately know that they are not professional, they haven't done their H & S they don't know about nail diseases and how the finger can get infiected through cross contamination or any contraindications for that matter. Thanks for that lesson and keep up the information. :hug:

I get the gist, but before i treuly answer, i'm gonna have to sober up, so stay tuned....

I get the gist, but before i treuly answer, i'm gonna have to sober up, so stay tuned....

You know Carl I love your honesty......and the spelling mistake makes it even better:lol:
I really think that ebay have got the market pretty much sussed out and SOME... not all companies are opening ebay shops to get rid of old stock etc.
I don't think there will ever be an improvement in this situation.
It will probably get worse.
But when you see the fly by night techs..."I can do nails" fail miserably it's a bit late to say "told you so, you wasted your money on a dream".

Well im pretty shrewd but when i chose to get a nail trainer this week i had a look on ebay and i thought i'll do better getting one new.Yes they are cheaper for the hand but then you need to get the nails and the glue and other bits that can only be used on them and i would end up spending as much.
I also know a new one is going to be as it should be and i can then eventually sell it on...on ebay:)
No ebays not what it was ,it should only be for people selling second hand stuff like it was originally, not ebay shops, its been spoiled.

Latest posts

Back