Pro's and cons about the way i work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy BTN

Reaction score
Hiya,
Well, I'm about to do it. A hairdresser friend of mine has just bought his second city centre salon and has asked me to do nails there full time with a veiw to do my hair extentions there when i'm qualified.

I'm not really worried about the financial side of things, I've been saving like mad and i turn away on average 3 new sets a week at the mo through lack of time - this is with zero advertising...
The things i have started to worry about are...

I only scuplt always have done.
I had tips years ago and really didn't like them. I found them weak and didn't like them on the underside where general "nastyness" attached itself to the adhesive. - Is this just me i'm very clean!!!!????

Sometimes when i do a new set on someone - they seem confused that I don't apply a top coat - i always buff to a shine.
Is there a reason to apply a top coat or am i ok the way i work now?

I'm lucky enough so far to have never had a complaint and have had good feedback from clients - but working in a salon in the centre where there is LOADS of competion i am going to be compared and questions on why i work a certain way.
I have been researching and so far i have only found one other salon nearby who sculpt but they are very expensive.

i buff to a high shine - dont always finish with a polish. and i dont see nothing wrong with sculpting all the time.
hope i answered right as i was a little confused as to what the question was! HTH xx

Sorry. Sort of spat everthing out at once and lost the point. :eek:

I think i'm just worried that people will come in who are only used to seeing techs do things a certain way and as there are quite a few nails bars in town who all offer one service. A sort of walk in tips and topcoat type of do, which there is nothing wrong with .... i just don't want people to look at me like i'm mad when i apply my forms etc - working differently..

Reading this post 5 times now.... I'm worried about offering a service which is quite hard to come by in that area - so from a business point of view - that's a pro in itself!?

I was also kind of thinking - what the hell do i put on my price list if i only offer one service!

I must say too that I only sculpt and buff to a high shine.

On my pricelist I have set of sculptured nails, one off repairs, rebalance per 2,3 & 4 weeks and soak off and manicure and nail art.

Hiya
It takes a good tech to sculpt..its a fine art
Ive done nails for yrs not mastered it yet.
do what u do best..forget about the chit chat.
if clients are happy thats all that counts
good luck
Jenx

Sculpts are everything you said they are, so go with it, I you a top coat because I get pain in my back from lots of fileing and buffing, but personaly, I prefer buffed nails. You do them the right way so why learn any other way? Good luck hun, sounds like you are landing on your feet, how bril is that?

I buff my sculpts too but I always apply a UV topcoat because I tan sometimes and my friends that I will do tan also (don't like to be pastyLOL), so I use it to keep the nails looking good as they can turn yellow from tanning.

I only scuplt always have done ~ cant see this being a problem - I only offer tip & overlay. However I am learning how to sculpt as I do feel its better to have other options available.

I had tips years ago and really didn't like them. I found them weak and didn't like them on the underside where general "nastyness" attached itself to the adhesive. - Is this just me i'm very clean!!!!????
I dont have this problem?
How would you explain to a client the reason why you offer sculpts? Just be careful how you word your answer - I know you are not trying to say that T&O is unclean BUT clients are liable to pick up on the 'clean bit' and interpret that T&O is dirty - most people are also very clean ;) .
Explain & promote the pros of sculpting and not the cons of T&O.

Sometimes when i do a new set on someone - they seem confused that I don't apply a top coat - i always buff to a shine.
Different techs and different systems use different ways of working. Some buff to a shine some buff gently and apply UV topcoat and cure under a lamp and some apply a enamel or topcoat. I would continue as you are and if the client specifically requests a topcoat offer it as an add on service?

I'm lucky enough so far to have never had a complaint and have had good feedback from clients - but working in a salon in the centre where there is LOADS of competion i am going to be compared and questions on why i work a certain way.
Have faith in your education, and system used, give educated truthful answers to any questions, explain what you are doing and why and you will be fine. I wouldnt worry about competition do the best job you can and the results will speak for themselves.

HTH & good luck Chick
KxXx

Hiya,
Well, I'm about to do it. A hairdresser friend of mine has just bought his second city centre salon and has asked me to do nails there full time with a veiw to do my hair extentions there when i'm qualified.

I'm not really worried about the financial side of things, I've been saving like mad and i turn away on average 3 new sets a week at the mo through lack of time - this is with zero advertising...
The things i have started to worry about are...

I only scuplt always have done.

I have been researching and so far i have only found one other salon nearby who sculpt but they are very expensive.

I would love to sculpt all the time - I'm practicing like mad and the techs I know that use topcoat do it to save time on the buffing. I personally prefer buffing

So I can't see that there is any problem I would think in a comparison that you would always come out on top

Good luck:D

The only problem with not offering tips is that you can't offer a service to every client with sculpted nails, some nail shapes should be tipped. Maybe a skill building day would help?
Good luck with the job x

Thanks for all your answers, Have printed them out!
I think i was just finding it a bit daunting and got myself in a panic.

Am going to look into the skillbuilding day. I was already thinking of doing the creative conversion - so this will be a kick up the proverbial.

It's a fantastic opportunity and what i have always aimed for... so i shall stop moaning and start my research !

thanks again
xxxx

Latest posts

Back