Psoriasis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxHoneybeexx

Reaction score
Hi ladies . Popping over from beauty . I suffer really badly from scalp psoriasis . What started as a small patch of dandruff has lead to my whole scalp being covered in it . I get TGel on prescription but it really has ravaged my long hair it's always feels so brittle and dry and if the soapy water runs done my face my skin becomes really sensitive too . Can anyone recommend a less harsh alternative ?
Also since it's got bad I won't go near the hairdressers as I'm so embarassed ! X

Aw hunny, for starters you shouldn't feel embarrassed!! Treat yourself to a good pamper, it'll make you feel fab straight away!
I just thought I'd post on this thread as I have a tanning salon. A LOT of customers are recommended by their doctor to actually go on the Sunbed for their psoriasis. Have you tried the Sunbed?
One of my friends also has bad psoriasis and Sunbeds helped ease things for her :)

I love coconut oil. You can my it from the world food isle in tesco and just blather it on dry hair give it a nice little scalp massage on sleep in it then wash your hair as normal in the morning. Makes your hair feel amazing too! Also doesn't make your hair feel greasy most people are scared to sleep in it as they think they're hair is going to be like a chip pan!

Hi ladies . Popping over from beauty . I suffer really badly from scalp psoriasis . What started as a small patch of dandruff has lead to my whole scalp being covered in it . I get TGel on prescription but it really has ravaged my long hair it's always feels so brittle and dry and if the soapy water runs done my face my skin becomes really sensitive too . Can anyone recommend a less harsh alternative ?
Also since it's got bad I won't go near the hairdressers as I'm so embarassed ! X

My daughter really suffered. I'm afraid we found tgel really harsh on her mega thick hair, and I did wonder if the sodium lauryl sulphate aggravated her head. We tried osmo sls free shampoo for coloured hair even though hair isn't coloured. It was suggested by a pro on here as it's gentler. It's really helped.

I would also encourage you to go to a salon and build a relationship with them. I'm beauty and have psoriasis clients for massage manis etc. You don't bat an eye lid!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

And gents ;)

Yeah don't be embarrassed,that t gel stuff is nasty on the hair, try kerastase Bain hyrdrant exfoliant x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I have suffered with Psoriasis for 15 years, scalp and body. I have tried pretty much every form of shampoo that is recommended with horrible results, but I have been using Aussie shampoo for the last 3 or 4 years and it is 100% the best shampoo I have tried. I find shampoos targeted specifically for people with scalp issues only seem to iritate Psoriasis, as it softens the skin and agrevates it more.

Also, yes sunbeds are recommended by doctors but they are specific sunbeds that contain UVB. Highstreet sunbeds only UVA, which isnt a treatment for Psoriasis. It does help to disguise it a bit, but it does not actually cure or reduce it and ultimately UVA is still damanaging to the skin, so not worth the increased risk of skin cancer IMO.

Google UVB combs. They can be pricey and obviously speak to your doctor about it first, but I know a few people who have said this really helped them. I have never tried it myself so can't really help, but there is a lot of information on the internet.

Also, after a few weeks of the treatment the doctor has recommended, if you aren't happy then go back and ask him to prescribe you something else. There are lots of treatments available and unfortunately not everyone responds the same with. With Psoriasis it is trial and error until you find one that works for you.

It is nothing to be ashamed of and I agree with the person above who said to build a relationship with a Hairdresser. If your uncomfortable in a salon at the moment, perhaps have someone come to your home? It's a lot more discreet and there are some amazing mobile Hairdressers out there. Another little tip, I keep my hair light to disguise any flakes. Stay away from all over tints as these can be really painful, but highlights are fine.

I hope that helps. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions xx

I think its against the rules to reccomend non professional products

The only thing that I've found that helps with the dreaded itching and exfoliates the lumps of psoriasis on my scalp is from my doctors Betnovate scalp application (not the lotion) it smells horrible but works x

I would definitely try to decrease the amount of products you use on your skin and scalp. Try a sulfate free shampoo with as little ingredients as possible. I recently had a thing called perioral dermatitis which is an awful red rash round the mouth and so had to chuck out a lot of products and start again. As suggested coconut oil is a good start along with jojoba as that mimics natural sebum production in the skin, check your diet out if you havent already and try cutting out any obvious aggressors such as dairy, wheat etc as there could a be good chance you are intolerant. Oats in the bath can help dry itchy skin, as well as apple cider vinegar rinsed through the scalp makes your hair shiny and is an anti fungal, you can also drink it diluted with water which isnt very nice but has been said to have good results on psoriasis. Also try probiotic tablets too. Often with auto immune diseases such as this its better to look at your diet and lifestyle as a whole rather than relying on spot treatments such as medication and shampoos. Home remedies are often far gentler and without the side effects of medication so its worth trying these first.

Thankyou so much for all your replies I guess I'm fortunate really that's it's only my scalp that's effected . Unfortunately I'm naturally very dark . Darkest brown so the only colours I can really go is red plum , blonde doesn't suite me at all so it does really show on me. I will definitely google the Combs . I've notice dry shampoo irritates it so I'm gonna cut back on that too. It's silly really as I'm a massage therapist and treat people with different skin conditions and not phased by it but it's different when your the client I suppose . Btw I've booked hairdressers for tomorrow first time in 18month x

Epicelan purifiant in La Biosthetique is great for lifting off psoriasis build-up, while still moisturising the scalp and preventing future outbreaks :)

Though I've got a few clients who find that flare ups are directly caused by excess stress :( xx

Latest posts

Back