Putting gel colours on acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadiyaTaniya

Reaction score
A client has asked for a set of acrylics with a gel colour over the top. How do I need to prep the acrylic before putting the gel on? Do I use the same prep that you use if you are putting gel on a natural nail? Also how would you take off the gel without soaking of the acrylic as well?

I have had a google but have not found the answers.

Apply your l&p acrylic enhancements, then finish file them finishing with a 180 grit file so they are not too smooth. Then apply your colour coats of gel polish and top coat.
No need for basecoat as the colour will adhere to the enhancment surface just fine.

Buff off as part of your rebalance/maintenance appointment for the enhancements.

That is brilliant thank you. Forgot to ask these questions when I trained for gels !

Exactly as Izzidoll said. This is how I add colour to all of my acrylic nails. I already had a decent range of gel polishes before I started my acrylic course so made sense to just use what I already had. I've found that it really helps to seal the acrylic and my extensions last a long time. Good luck, it's easy peasy :)
P.S, remember to give them a wipe with a nail prep after filing/buffing to get rid of dust etc.

Just wanted to add, I use Gelish, and for whatever reason, I find I need to put the basecoat on, as otherwise the gel starts peeling from the sides. Whether it's the brand, I have no idea, but that's my experience.

Just wanted to add, I use Gelish, and for whatever reason, I find I need to put the basecoat on, as otherwise the gel starts peeling from the sides. Whether it's the brand, I have no idea, but that's my experience.

That's odd. I use Gelish too. Have never needed to use foundation on acrylics.

That's odd. I use Gelish too. Have never needed to use foundation on acrylics.
Is it possible maybe I'm putting it on too thick? The surface is too rough? Or not rough enough?

Is it possible maybe I'm putting it on too thick? The surface is too rough? Or not rough enough?

I know it won't stick to a shiny surface so at a guess not rough enough? x

I am using Gellux , I will put a base coat just to be on the safe side. I am new to all this so don't wanna get a bad rep to begin with ! xx

I tried it when I first started out but I found with base coat it just peeled off in one piece x

Do you need to cap the edges still when applying to extensions? X

WP_20150622_025.jpg

This is how they turned out. She wanted oval shaped nails so I had to file them which took ages. Third set of acrylics I have done, still taking ages. I capped the edges as I didn't want to take any risks .
Wondering if I would benefit from getting tips that don't need blending?

Do you need to cap the edges still when applying to extensions? X
Yes. Not only will it create s seal but no one likes to see the edges of their free edge unpolished. It makes the nails look unfinished

I agree with izzidoll but after filing with a 180 i go over it with a 240 and a sponge file just to ensure there are no scratches remaining on the nails from the 180 grit file. I also dont use base coat, theres no need and i definitely cap the free edge after each and every coat

I've definitely done something wrong. I've put gel on fibreglass for first time. I don't think I roughed up the surface enough and I will make sure I definitely cap. Think I am going to file it off and start again.

Latest posts

Back