Qualifications - what is needed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smac1

Reaction score
Hi to all you hair professionals

Wonder if you can help me? I am a 43yrs old female and would love to change my career and learn hairdressing with a view to going mobile.
Do you think I am too old too start firstly?

Please could someone tell me what is the required qualification. Am I right in thinking that I need to get NVQ2 level in hairdressing as a minimum qualification? Does that mean that I need to do NVQ1 level first?

Does anyone know where I could enquire about training in or around Essex, preferably near Chelmsford/Colchester area? How long will the training take? Do I need to be employed in a salon? Can I pay to get trained faster?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Sara

Hi to all you hair professionals

Wonder if you can help me? I am a 43yrs old female and would love to change my career and learn hairdressing with a view to going mobile.
Do you think I am too old too start firstly?

No you are not too old at all, age has nothing to do with it , if you like it you should do very well .

Please could someone tell me what is the required qualification. Am I right in thinking that I need to get NVQ2 level in hairdressing as a minimum qualification? Does that mean that I need to do NVQ1 level first?

NVQ 1 and NVQ 2 are all combined so both are done together ,
level 1 is done at the beginning of the term and is never left out as its an important level , everyone who has enrolled for hairdressing level 2 always cover the level 1 modules at the beginning of the term
it doesnt take long ,

Does anyone know where I could enquire about training in or around Essex, preferably near Chelmsford/Colchester area? How long will the training take? Do I need to be employed in a salon? Can I pay to get trained
faster?

Try your local college of further education they have excellent courses usually supported by Loreal or Wella ,
you can pay for private courses ,Wella do them and are excellent there are loads of other excellent private training providers too , you would be looking at thousands of pounds for private training ,
but... you will get excellent NVQ training at your local College and you can always do private top ups if you feel the need.
Salons Direct do loads of private top up courses in cutting colour hair up ect ,

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Sara

I am sure someone else can tell you how long the Level 2 course takes, and anything else I may have missed ,
hth :)

hi i have just finished my level 2 now i started mine in september 08 and have just come to the end now... it was the same length for my level 1 aswell...there is women on my course your age and older and they are so happy bout doing the course... i would recommend definatly trying to get into a salon along side your course just to build up your confindence.. even if its one day a week its somthing and you get to see how a salon runs and learn more hands on..level 1 is more to cover the health and saftey mainly... i had girls who started the level 2 without doing the level 1 but at the start they had to concentrate on getting the health and saftey out of the way first.... you should contact your local college and see if they have any courses to offer... xx

Thankyou so much for both of your advise. I very much appreciate it.

I will certainly look into what my local college of further education can offer and hopefully I will get up and running.

Many thanks once again.

I will let you know how I get on!!!!

Hi there,

There is a fantastic training centre IN Chelmsford called J+E Training. The staff are wonderfully helpful, and they are extremely well established. They have an absolute vested interest in all of their students and really are brilliant. Their number is: 01245 268 106

They offer different paths of learning also and will definitely be able to provide you with the right advice, and maybe clarify your options for you.

Best of luck!

MHD x x x

Hi there, firstly your not too old, secondly, you dont need NVQ1 first. NVQ1 is mainly shampooing and I did that in my NVQ2. NVQ1 in my area is more designed for school pupils to come and do a day release which will entitle them to NVQ 2 when they leave school, its kind of a entry course for those with lower gcse grades or who are expected to get low grades, but as adults you can join any NVQ2 type course without it, I think thats more to do with the fact that your older, more capable and have work experience behind you.

Latest posts

Back