'Qualified' but not knowing basic information!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine, and a gifted nail geek here on the site, said something to me the other day which had me in complete agreement ...

She pointed out that going by the nature of so many recent questions here on SG there seem to be a huge amount of 'qualified' manicurists who seem to not know even the most basic information about nail products or application techniques. A vast majority of the questions re 'problems' could be solved without asking questions by simply getting more and better basic training.

My personal thoughts are that quick manicure courses and UV colour coatings have galvanised many into entering the nail business but they really lack all the basic skills for lasting service and to solve problems because they know little about the products they are using.

Make it a goal in 2013 to 'up your basic skills and knowledge base' by booking onto at least 2 classes that will fill in your gaps. I am doing a large update training in early February ... What about you? What gaps do you need to fill?

I love learning about nails! I've probably spent the same amount of time reading about the nail structure, bones, blood flow, health and safety etc as doing practical nails! I've had my nails done before and my nails looked great but i asked her what primer was for and she didn't even know! Xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I feel my stucture is good, but I need more training in the fundamentals of art. I can do basic nail art, but nothing complex. As it's becoming a bigger trend where I am, I have booked a course in April to learn more and have another class in mind afterwards.

I also love to learn and have been learning more every year for 30 years! The best classes I have ever taken for me are those that deal with product chemistry and the natural nail structure and physiology, with Doug Schoon. And I love testing new products! There are some very cool ones on the way!! :)

I also love to learn and have been learning more every year for 30 years! The best classes I have ever taken for me are those that deal with product chemistry and the natural nail structure and physiology, with Doug Schoon. And I love testing new products! There are some very cool ones on the way!! :)

My curiousity is peaked! :)

I completely agree with you Gigi. As someone that "qualified" last year you don't realise how much you didn't know until you come out into the "big wide world"

It's a bit like the stereotype of people in this industry having a lack of intelligence because people just assume we file and paint nails all day. They just assume that's all it is and you get taught to file and paint when you go to classes. That's it.

I think you soon learn that you've only scratched the surface and most of us naturally want to learn more and more - I am constantly learning and love it :)

x

Oooo, interesting!

I also believe that if you want to make this a life long career you need to constantly be learning. Things in this industry change in the blink of an eye and it's part of our job to stay caught up with it all....which means classes, tutors, and many hours researching.....but for me, that's part of the fun of the job :)

I plan to have lots of training in 2013, I personally think you can never have to much and products are changing so quickly and so are techniques

I need to fill in the gaps with nail enhancements, my course didn't even show me how to do infills/rebalances, also I have trouble building an apex. Therefore I'm not even confident enough to do anyone's nails! So I will be training with CND in 2013 :)

I'm kicking off next year with a Master Painter in January and then I have my ITEC to take. After that depending on what new goodies CND have for us I'm sure there will be something else on the first part of 2013.
I'm hoping to do another master but that is all depending on my skill level and that is another 'learning' I will be doing. Practice practice practice in between everything else :)
LOVE what I do :)
Vicki x

Oh yes ... 2013 is going to be exciting for CND technicians in more ways than one. :)

i totally agree that even though many are "qualified" there still seems to be a lack of knowledge in general about products ie some nail techs dont know the difference between gel polishes, soak off gels and hard gels.

i think all therapists and techs should be on a constant learning journey but not just with courses, we should all read magazines, go to the beauty shows and watch demos and search the internet

there is always something to learn!!

Totally agree .... Sort of !!

For me personally, I found Gelish really simple to practice & get right. It's the L&P for me where I think a longer course would have ironed out all my issues.

Possibly doing an art 1 for additives as I'm finding sprinkling glitter on the sticky layer of cured top coat doesn't work as it makes the glitter patchy when I scrub it in.

Am thinking of a more in depth L&P design course where you learn about more of the nails you see on this months Scratch.

I have just joined a group of local qualified nail technicians, and we are now regularly meeting with our local trainer to keep up to speed with what's happening in the industry, and to brush up on our skills. I work on my own in my salon and it can be very isolating, so this regular meet is perfect for me to make sure I'm always up to date with new products and techniques. And no-one wants to talk about nails as much as another nail technician :)

You can be qualified but that doesn't mean your any good, I've been in the industry 15 yrs now and I'm still learning LOVE IT can't imagine ever doing anything else :))))

Totally agree with you Gigi:)

Due to incidents and changes beyond my control that occurred this year (of which you know about) I'm thinking 2013 might be the year I look into taking myself in the teaching side of our wonderful industry and no doubt this will involve training, for me to go to the "other side" :)

I too also love to test and guinea pig up coming products? I really enjoy being part of the journey from when an idea is first hatched to having that product sitting in front of me to test and to see how well it performs.
To be part of tweaking that product and having it end up as perfect as the idea was for it in the first place.

I am definitely intending to find some money for a course on L&P next year!! I have just come back from doing my first set in nearly a yr (all my other appointments are Shellac) and it took me for ever the finished result was ok, thankfully the client liked them but I was not happy at all!! So am now making plans to get better training next year!

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Please don't get me started on not having enough knowledge!!!! It pains me that some 'techs' have no idea of nail structure, fungal infections etc!!!
I would like to take the next step forward in 2013, go into teaching. Been a beauty therapist 22 years, nail tech for 10. I think I could help those 'techs' with their knowledge! Yey, brown cords and jackets with padded elbows here I come.!

I totally agree with your OP geeg. I qualified a few years ago and upon entering the industry I realised that having qualified was just the start in the sense that with a lot of qualifications it's more of an introduction to a treatment rather than a complete preparation for being able to offer a treatment that is of a good enough quality and something that can be realistically carried out in a professional context.

I've done a lot of training in the last year and hope to do more next year. Every training course has given me something constructive and the more clients I work on, the more confident I become. I find this massively satisfying and this is a great industry to be in as someone who likes learning new things.

I only joined the nail industry last June. I did a home course which was expensive but it suited my needs.
It was only when i qualified i realized i had no idea about nails, don't get me wrong i feel my theory is A* but practical is a different question when you have no one to learn you right from wrong. Since doing this course i have had to have one-to-one training to help iron out the creases (I'm getting there ;) lol) 2013 is exciting for me as i have more courses booked to help me improve my knowledge and skills but until then i will be practicing and researching every minute i can! :hug:

Latest posts

Back