'Qualified' but not knowing basic information!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree with you all.
I did short courses for L&P and Gel. After the courses I was so called classed as qualified. I had very little knowledge in all areas.
I am paying again but this time I'm now at college doing my NVQ level 2 in nail services and I've learnt so much already.

I definitely have a lot to learn and don't think I'll ever be at the stage where I think I'm fully qualified and know everything there is to know. I intend to keep doing courses and research forever.

So far I've only done a basic manicure, gel polish, spray tan and eyelash course. I am doing pedicures and makeup in 2013 so far - I only moved into this business in September. I'm undecided whether I want to do nail enhancements at this stage (or ever) or just concentrate on being the best I can be at the above treatments.

I find the information on here invaluable although I would hope that if I had a lot of basic questions (as opposed to tips for the best way to do things) that I would have the sense to go and get more training that covers those. For example I know that the courses I have done have been basic at best on the anatomy and physiology side so I want to do a course in that at some point soon and I want to learn more about contraindications etc.

I was on the guild's website and they do an online a&p course. Planning on doing this my self in Jan x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

I'm switching all my brands to cnd in 2013 already use shellac but am converting to Brisa and cnd l&p 2013. I've learned more about nail structure and product chemistry in the last year being on salon geek than I have in the previous ten years in the industry.

I have switched from en Vogue to Brisa (CND) as well and looking into some courses in their lines. I think that by joining this group gives way to a line of understanding and comradarie for those whom deeply want to be the best of the best.

I have been certified since Sept 21 2012. I have been to three mini courses since my certification and I will continue to do this as it keeps me constantly focused on a great set of nails not the income made from gaining clients as this will come only if and when my work speaks for itself.

I have had a great many women come into my home salon and say it’s nice to know that I am not pushing enhancements on them. They may simply want a strong natural nail and happy that I take 15 minutes to understand what they need from me.

My next bit is FOCUS on proper PREP - thanks to Creative Nail Design. You lay a strong foundation and the speed and accuracy will come!
So yes I plan on saving for the courses and functions outside my area and until I can make those I will train in my area or within my means in 2013!

CND offer the most amazing array of on-going education classes .... They will teach and guide you all the way to the top of the profession ... Which explains why so many well known pros at the top of the profession have undergone CND training. :green: they are as dedicated to getting YOU to the top, as you are at getting there yourself.
Thanks Geeg. That's really kind of you to offer help. :green: I can see just how amazing CND are from the positive comments on here. I use Harmony and really like working with their products. I'm saving to get proper training from them as the "college" I trained with basically took my money and gave me a certificate. I have learned more spending night after night trailing through SG than I did with the college. Shame. I intend to plough every penny I can into training to the best possible standard and I will continue to read up on every word on here. :wink2: Nailclass has of course also been invaluable.

I definitely have a lot to learn and don't think I'll ever be at the stage where I think I'm fully qualified and know everything there is to know. I intend to keep doing courses and research forever.

So far I've only done a basic manicure, gel polish, spray tan and eyelash course. I am doing pedicures and makeup in 2013 so far - I only moved into this business in September. I'm undecided whether I want to do nail enhancements at this stage (or ever) or just concentrate on being the best I can be at the above treatments.

I find the information on here invaluable although I would hope that if I had a lot of basic questions (as opposed to tips for the best way to do things) that I would have the sense to go and get more training that covers those. For example I know that the courses I have done have been basic at best on the anatomy and physiology side so I want to do a course in that at some point soon and I want to learn more about contraindications etc.

I'm much the same. I am now officially qualified to do manicures. I am studying nvq level 2 at college part time. While we practise at college and I do at home any chance I get, we don't get much one to one help at college .... I have also asked on SG for tips and hints about how to perfect the polish finish. At the end if the day is this not what this site is for? We all have to start somewhere and build up our skills and experience. At least we care enough to want to give a professional finish!!

I passed the exams require re nail growth, muscles, arteries, CI's, health and safety etc with flying colours . But experience come with time. I'm sure a very long time ago you's were not super super experienced and brilliant either!

A good nail professional needs to constantly evolve. The old nail professional of yester year with the "Licensed-and-done" mentality should be a thing of the past if she is to be a true professional.

If you're just a nail tech, I guess there's no need to evolve. But I'm a nail professional so I'm always seeking knowledge, newer qualifications and a better skill set.

But like a high school graduate taking a college entrance exam...I can ace the trigonometry but I fail simple addition because it's been too long since I last studied it.

Likewise, I can create a beautiful set of Shellac'd nails or enhancements but do I remember the simple structure of the nail...because it's been too long since I last studied it?

That's where I intend to return in 2013. Back to the basics.

A good nail professional needs to constantly evolve. The old nail professional of yester year with the "Licensed-and-done" mentality should be a thing of the past if she is to be a true professional.

If you're just a nail tech, I guess there's no need to evolve. But I'm a nail professional so I'm always seeking knowledge, newer qualifications and a better skill set.

But like a high school graduate taking a college entrance exam...I can ace the trigonometry but I fail simple addition because it's been too long since I last studied it.

Likewise, I can create a beautiful set of Shellac'd nails or enhancements but do I remember the simple structure of the nail...because it's been too long since I last studied it?

That's where I intend to return in 2013. Back to the basics.

Well I think you should bring your butt over to Spain and do it with ME! :hug:

Well I think you should bring your butt over to Spain and do it with ME! :hug:

On my bucket list, Dearest.

I trained at college in 2008, in NVQ level 2 in nails.

After that I trained with EzFlow & Astonishing nails. I did my shellac training this year.

Next year my plan is to do conversion in Acrylics & Gels with CND.

I've always kept up to date with the nail industry since i qualified.
I feel I learn something new each time I come on sg.

I don't just want to be a Nail professional I want to be a top nail professional, my passion is nails so I'm confident ill get there!

Good luck everyone with your further training for 2013 😃

Merry Christmas to all x

Latest posts

Back