Question about hair oils and silicone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty2012

Reaction score
Hello :)

I purchased a bottle of Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense which I apply to my hair the night before I shampoo and condition.
This product contains no silicone.
I then shampoo and condition with Pureology Hydrate and then apply a small amount of Joico Color Therapy K-PAK Restorative Styling Oil when it's damp and leave it to dry naturally.

My question is, when I apply the Redken oil again, will it be able to penetrate the hair shaft because the Joico Oil has silicone in it which I believe leaves a barrier on the hair? I don't see the point in putting the Redken oil on as a pre shampoo treatment if all it's going to do it sit on the hair and have no effect.

That's an interesting question. My surprise is that Joico are producing products containing silicon.
Maybe a question for Redken technical? Although my guess is that they'd warn you off the Joico stuff. You can use the Redken Diamond oil instead.

That's an interesting question. My surprise is that Joico are producing products containing silicon.
Maybe a question for Redken technical? Although my guess is that they'd warn you off the Joico stuff. You can use the Redken Diamond oil instead.

Thanks for the reply. I've emailed Redken but didn't mention that it was Joico, I just said 'silicone based hair oil' I think you're right though, they will probably suggest that I just use diamond oil.

I tried the Joico oil for the first time today and I'm not impressed. I think it's too protein heavy for my hair. I'm going to use Redken Argan-6 instead. Surely Redken will approve?

I love Argan 6

Latest posts

Back