Question for techs who do not buff Gelish prior to removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befab

Reaction score
Dear geeks, I am gelish trained and have been doing gelish for a while now.I have always found removal difficult up until a few weeks ago when i read that some techs were not buffing the nail to break the seal prior to removal. I must say i have tried this the last couple of removals with non sparkly colours and its worked for me and the gel just peels off. However today i had a client that has had good gossip on for 2 weeks and this time the non buffing did not really work for me. So question for all techs who do not buff before removal, should you buff to break the seal for the sparkly colours? Also another question i have is regarding using heat such as heated mitts etc, do any of you find that it dries up the remover? Therefore making removal more difficult??

When you trained with gelish did they not teach you to buff with removal?
I thought this step had always been the recommended ,

I don't use gelish any more but use to buff it when I did removal for all colors all the time . Apart from on tiny toes

I never buff before removal of gelish, no matter what colour or design.
I use cotton wool and wrap with foil. I make sure the cotton wool is absolutely saturated with remove, wrap each finger, leave for 10 mins then check the nails starting with 1st finger wrapped. If any look like they need longer time I take off what gelish has already dissolved then re-soak the cotton wool and put back on the nail, leave for a further 5 mins or so and voila it comes off easy then x

I stopped buffing when I realised it made no difference. If remover drying out you may not have enough on or the foil may not be tight enough (ie letting air in).

If you are using cotton wool it will soak up and dry out quicker before soaking the Gelish off enough.
I use lint free pads soaked in the remover and wrap in foil. Never had any problems.
I always buff to break the seal including the free edge. If I have added glitter for Rockstar nails then I buff with a more abrasive file to get through the glitter then soak. HTH

I only file along the free edge with all colours but I do give a little buff to break the seal on glitters. I use a heated fleece bag and Hands down soak off nail wraps. I've not found a problem with remover drying out and I don't use a huge amount.
Hope that's helpful. ;)

Thank you all, yes I was showed to buff the nail prior to removing but find that it comes off easier without buffing (non sparkly colours) however with sparkly colours I find that that part of gel just sticks to the nails and will only come off with buffing. I only use a very thin amount of cotton wool and saturate it with remover.

Also I'm wondering wether I'm using too much heat? I use pre heated mitts, (not plugged in of course) . Clients love how nice and warm they are but maybe they are too hot?

What is the cotton wool like when you have unwrapped?

I never buff anymore, its just not necessary. I use D-Solve, cotton wool and hairdressers foil. I've never had a problem and manage removal and reapplication in 45 minutes whatever the colour.

The cotton wool is semi dry, but i always make sure that the cotton will is very well soaked before placing on nail plate.

I use magi foils and saturate the pad then into heated mitts for 10
Minutes and most of it lifts off the nail plate x

Absolutely agree, this technique works a treat for me every time!

Latest posts

Back