Quick thread about "travellers"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal colleen

Reaction score
Hi geeks well I've read a few threads of late which has mentioned "travellers" in the op's words not mine lol.

Either that the children are unruly or "travellers" parents don't care about discipline or "travellers" letting there dogs kill other animals.

Now this is very unfair as not all gypsies are the same.A very small minority of gypsies set the tone and stereo type for the rest.

Traveller children in the majority are very well behaved and the parents are very on the ball with there children.Not all gypsies want to Tarmac your drive,not all gypsies want to cut down your tree and not all gypsies want to pitch there trailer on your front garden or private property lol.

If you were to meet a true gypsie you would be pleasantly supprised as the
majority are more like yourselves than you think.

Now some on here know and some on here may not know I am a gypsie my father is.My mum isnt a gypsie.I have always lived in a house always went to school a very good school at that,I've always worked,never stole anything in my life,NEVER TARMACED a drive :lol:,never has my dog killed another animal and never would I let him and my child is very well behaved and I do care about how she behaves .

I fit quite nicely into country life and no one would "suspect" I'm a gypsie but you know what I'm proud of who I am and I would like some people to not judge because of a minority as there are people from all walks of life that have a minority off asses living amongst them.

Love and respect geeks.x

Last edited:
Very well said! :D and so you should be proud of it! Being a gypsie is nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you know what I think though...
Because not everyone has / has KNOWINGLY had interaction with a gypsy, their perception of gypsies come from programs such as 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' which focuses on the type of gypsies you describe, tarmaccers, dog fighting, letting children run riot, men fighting, females must live a certain way, ott weddings etc etc anyone watching, that has never interacted with a gypsy before (that is not like shown in the show) assumes they are all like that! Which is such a shame that people can be so prejudiced and tar everyone with the same brush :(

Another example (not related to gypsies) foreigners perseve the British to be loud mouth larger louts that walk around on holiday with either football tops on or no tops at all shouting their mouth off all the time (ok most do hehehe), but not all of us do that!!! Ok some do, but don't make out just because some do and that's what they are known for means they are all the same!!!

Sorry if that's all a load of waffle I knew what I was saying in my head but couldn't write it haha xxx

Very well said! :D and so you should be proud of it! Being a gypsie is nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you know what I think though...
Because not everyone has / has KNOWINGLY had interaction with a gypsy, their perception of gypsies come from programs such as 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' which focuses on the type of gypsies you describe, tarmaccers, dog fighting, letting children run riot, men fighting, females must live a certain way, ott weddings etc etc anyone watching, that has never interacted with a gypsy before (that is not like shown in the show) assumes they are all like that! Which is such a shame that people can be so prejudiced and tar everyone with the same brush :(

Another example (not related to gypsies) foreigners perseve the British to be loud mouth larger louts that walk around on holiday with either football tops on
or no tops at all shouting their mouth off all the time (ok most do hehehe), but not all of us do that!!! Ok some do, but don't make out just because some do and that's what they are known for means they are all the same!!!

Sorry if that's all a load of waffle I knew what I was saying in my head but
couldn't write it haha xxx
I completely agree with what you have said it's a real shame and quite upsetting that people have this perception.

I mean the weddings yes a lot of the weddings are like that,gypsie girls with fake tan and nails yes lol.

A gypsies morels are very high especially the girls morels.

The Brit thing made me giggle lol it's so true though lol :lol: xxx

Hi geeks well I've read a few threads of late which has mentioned "travellers" in the op's words not mine lol.

Either that the children are unruly or "travellers" parents don't care about discipline or "travellers" letting there dogs kill other animals.

Now this is very unfair as not all gypsies are the same.A very small minority of gypsies set the tone and stereo type for the rest.

Traveller children in the majority are very well behaved and the parents are very on the ball with there children.Not all gypsies want to Tarmac your drive,not all gypsies want to cut down your tree and not all gypsies want to pitch there trailer on your front garden or private property lol.

If you were to meet a true gypsie you would be pleasantly supprised as the
majority are more like yourselves than you think.

Now some on here know and some on here may not know I am a gypsie my father is.My mum isnt a gypsie.I have always lived in a house always went to school a very good school at that,I've always worked,never stole anything in my life,NEVER TARMACED a drive :lol:,never has my dog killed another animal and never would I let him and my child is very well behaved and I do care about how she behaves .

I fit quite nicely into country life and no one would "suspect" I'm a gypsie but you know what I'm proud of who I am and I would like some people to not judge because of a minority as there are people from all walks of life that have a minority off asses living amongst them.

Love and respect geeks.x

Amen to that x

Thanks waffle :hug: x

Thanks waffle :hug: x

:) my bro in law is a traveller and whilst I do sometimes need subtitles to understand him (joke!) he is the kindest, most respectable bloke you'd ever meet. I agree that big fat gypsy weddings just added to the stereotype. Judge people on their actions not their class I say x

:) my bro in law is a traveller and whilst I do sometimes need subtitles to understand him (joke!) he is the kindest, most respectable bloke you'd ever meet. I agree that big fat gypsy weddings just added to the stereotype. Judge people on their actions not their class I say x

Lol to funny well I'm ok with Irish gypsies because my mums Irish and my mum side of the family so I can understand lol.My dads romani gypsie so he's all like slabber dabber transom my ansome lmao. X

Lol to funny well I'm ok with Irish gypsies because my mums Irish and my mum side of the family so I can understand lol.My dads romani gypsie so he's all like slabber dabber transom my ansome lmao. X

Haha I do love listening to the accent - does make me chuckle when I watch MBFGW and they put subtitles up x

Haha I do love listening to the accent - does make me chuckle when I watch MBFGW and they put subtitles up x

Lol well my mums Irish non traveller and dads romani so I've got the best of both worlds lol.x

Lol mind you bro in law says he needs subtitles for us coz we're cockney sparrars ;) x

Actually, this is what I mean about people judging you on your actions not class coz I have so many people presume I'm thick coz of my accent whereas I'm actually a member if Mensa !! X

Lol mind you bro in law says he needs subtitles for us coz we're cockney sparrars ;) x

Actually, this is what I mean about people judging you on your actions not class coz I have so many people presume I'm thick coz of my accent whereas I'm actually a member if Mensa !! X

Lol that's funny. well get this mums Irish dads Romani I'm as common as muck lol :lol: x

Fantastic that's great my pa has a ridiculously high IQ I mean ridiculous lol he been through loads of tests to lol

It's true people get judged and it's such a shame isn't it x

I am one of those people who have used the term Traveller in a few of my posts, but I use the term which the clients i see like rather than gypo's.
As during the last month or so being in Travellers company I have learned that the majority of those I see are very nice people. However I also stand by what I've personally seen & experienced, that yes the girls are lovely, but the little boys are the opposite & when they break my things, they're not impressing me to educate others to just how nice those nice people are !!

I know that not all of them live in caravans & they all take pride in their houses, especially know this when I'm filing a set of nails & all I can smell is bleach !!
The girls that come into the salon are from both housing communities & caravan communities, even 1 has been on that TV show, but I did not watch it so can't comment.

I'm sorry if you or others are offended by anything I may have posted, but I can only comment on what I experience myself.

I am a biker, I get put in the same band as those who pull wheelies, speed everywhere & cut car drivers up, yet if you were to know me, you'd see I'm not 1 of these bikers. However I do understand that I'm tarnished with the same reputation until people know me & how I ride, therefore I do not take it personally.

I am one of those people who have used the term Traveller in a few of my posts, but I use the term which the clients i see like rather than gypo's.
As during the last month or so being in Travellers company I have learned that the majority of those I see are very nice people. However I also stand by what I've personally seen & experienced, that yes the girls are lovely, but the little boys are the opposite & when they break my things, they're not impressing me to educate others to just how nice those nice people are !!

I know that not all of them live in caravans & they all take pride in their houses, especially know this when I'm filing a set of nails & all I can smell is bleach !!
The girls that come into the salon are from both housing communities & caravan communities, even 1 has been on that TV show, but I did not watch it so can't comment.

I'm sorry if you or others are offended by anything I may have posted, but I can only comment on what I experience myself.

I am a biker, I get put in the same band as those who pull wheelies, speed everywhere & cut car drivers up, yet if you were to know me, you'd see I'm not 1 of these bikers. However I do understand that I'm tarnished with the same reputation until people know me & how I ride, therefore I do not take it personally.
gypsies is the right terminology not travellers :green:

I haven't taken it personally because I'm not one of those gypsies that you spoke about :)

I was just educating others that may have stereo typed and it is unfortunate that you have only experienced the minority.What you will fined with the minority gypsies is that a lot are not true gypsies there of gypsie decent so way down the line and the values of a true gypsie are lost and you then have the minority that you speak about.

I did not comment on a child breaking your things because that is wrong I was mearly saying were nit all the same and I stand by that.

Every one is entitled to there opinion you have yours and I have mine which is fine with me.

I was mearly stating how I felt

I can assure you that the majority of gypsie boys are not what you have experienced

Last edited:
I'm an American with southeast Asian origin living in the UK. The stereotypical comments pretty much just come out no matter where I am. :lol: One thing I've learned is most stereotypes come from ignorance. People just pick up bits here and there and express them as their own opinions without ever coming across the people they're commenting about to see for themselves if it's true. And some people have a bad experience and tarnish everyone in that group with the same brush. Only a small percentage of people have the common decency to see past people's ethnicity, origin, ect and come up with their own conclusions of a person as an individual.

I'm an American with southeast Asian origin living in the UK. The stereotypical comments pretty much just come out no matter where I am. :lol: One thing I've learned is most stereotypes come from ignorance. People just pick up bits here and there and express them as their own opinions without ever coming across the people they're commenting about to see for themselves if it's true. And some people have a bad experience and tarnish everyone in that group with the same brush. Only a small percentage of people have the common decency to see past people's ethnicity, origin, ect and come up with their own conclusions of a person as an individual.

Listern you just go back to cooking your noodles :lol: You best watch yourself otherwise I will Tarmac you to your bed whilst you sleep,steal your dog and make it kill next doors cat...................Oh I forgot and rob your house and garden shed for any metal I can fined hehehehehehehehe

By the way have you ever eaten squirrel or hedgehog :lol: love ya boo x

Last edited by a moderator:
gypsies is the right terminology not travellers :green:

I haven't taken it personally because I'm not one of those gypsies that you spoke about :)

I was just educating others that may have stereo typed and it is unfortunate that you have only experienced the minority.What you will fined with the minority gypsies is that a lot are not true gypsies there of gypsie decent so way down the line and the values of a true gypsie are lost and you then have the minority that you speak about.

I did not comment on a child breaking your things because that is wrong I was mearly saying were nit all the same and I stand by that.

Every one is entitled to there opinion you have yours and I have mine which is fine with me.

I was mearly stating how I felt

I can assure you that the majority of gypsie boys are not what you have experienced

The people I see in the salon I'm renting in like to be called Travellers, if they wanted to be known as little green aliens, I'd call them little green aliens.
You want to be known as a Gypsie, then that's fine by me, I'm agreeing with you that not all are the same, BUT i comment about situations i find & hear personally, & use terminology that those I deal with prefer.

If a person who wants to be known as a Gypsie walked in with well behaved little boys, that's what I'd be able to say I saw, but until that happens I can't say anything about it.

Last edited:
The people I see in the salon I'm renting in like to be called Travellers, if they wanted to be known as little green aliens, I'd call them little green aliens.
You want to be known as a Gypsie, then that's fine by me, I'm agreeing with you that not all are the same, BUT i comment about situations i find & hear personally, & use terminology that those I deal with prefer.

If a Gypsie walked in with well behaved little boys, that's what I'd be able to say I saw, but until that happens I can't say anything about it.

I've already said you are entitled to your opinion.I'm not offended because like I have said I'm not what you have experienced.

If you saw a black man standing on a street corner drug dealing or stealing a woman's hand bag would you think that all black men were all the same.

If you saw a White British lad walking along with a hoody on and up giving his mate on the corner a lil package would you think that every time you saw a lad with his hood up and his dog that they were trouble makers or dodgy .

I know I wouldn't

I hope you come across the majority someday

Peace

Last edited:
Listern you just go back to cooking your noodles :lol: You best watch yourself otherwise I will Tarmac you to your bed whilst you sleep,steal your dog and make it kill next doors cat...................Oh I forgot and rob your house and garden shed for any metal I can fined hehehehehehehehe

By the way have you ever eaten squirrel or hedgehog :lol: love ya boo x

Lololol!!! Good luck finding my dog. He was served with side of rice for Christmas. However, if you Tarmac my crazy neighbour's door shut, I'll pay you in copper wires. And I have eaten squirrel before amongst the other crazy delicacies of my jungle people. :lol: xx love you too boo boo!

I would just like to say to that White people black people Chinese people all have a bad minority but I do not assume that there all the same.

I don't think that all Chinese people own takeaways and gamble lol
I don't think that all balck people are in gangs and are drug dealers lol
I don't think that all White people get drunk and fight and holiday in Spain with there football shirts on.
I don't think that all Irish people are leprechauns hidden in another body ................only joking lol.
ETC

I mean I have an open mined and not ignorant and I know that in all walks of life there are bad people.

Love and respect geeks x

Lololol!!! Good luck finding my dog. He was served with side of rice for Christmas. However, if you Tarmac my crazy neighbour's door shut, I'll pay you in copper wires. And I have eaten squirrel before amongst the other crazy delicacies of my jungle people. :lol: xx love you too boo boo!

Hehehehe I knew it dogs a Chinese delicacy isn't it lol.Yeh I need as much copper as I can get my gypsie lil mits on it's hard out there at the min.

I prefer hedgehog :lol: xx

Latest posts

Back