Quick thread about "travellers"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiya , my dads side of the family are " travellers " it goes way back from my grandads parents , that was many years ago , all my family live in houses and have " normal jobs " but however i have had the your a gyppo or pykie i have even had people do the banjo from deliverance implying interbreeding ( my parents are not related ) and none of my family are interbred , i think people need to like people for who they are , not their age , gender , sexuality and the list goes on ! people within the traveling community are everyday people like the rest of the population , i think this country needs to get a grip and not be so judgmental , i am proud of my family history XxX:wink2:

Never heard of the banjo thing before.
I'd love to say I had such a rich history, mines just bog standard, lived in this town for over 300 years worked here died here, the odd one out is my grandad who worked all over the country as was in the army (as well as the odd few others but its still nothing great).
I also think its in the blood to not be scared of moving and to live adventure regardless of living in a house or caravan. Iv considered moving away a few times but get the butterflies and stay put. Xoxo

As regards the traveller vs gypsy - originally the word gypsys was originally only applied to Romani gypsys and not Irish travellers. The word is a shortened version of 'gyptian (Egyptian), from when people mistakenly believed Romanies originated in Egypt. It was only latterly that travellers came to be called by the same name. Until recently I had never heard of Irish travellers being called gypsys, normally just 'travellers'.

i dont class myself as a gypsie but that is my heritidge i guess , my life is just as boring as anyone elses ,

Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer gypsy because I don't travel and I don't particularly like the word traveller as alot of other gypsies don't either.

i dont class myself as a gypsie but that is my heritidge i guess , my life is just as boring as anyone elses ,

My life is boring to love haha nothing exciting here either lol x

Latest posts

Back