re: foil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alisondenn

Reaction score
Can anybody give me a step-to-step guide on how to apply foil to nails, do u need a special foil adhesive or is nail glue ok. I would like to apply gel on top if possible?

alisondenn said:
Can anybody give me a step-to-step guide on how to apply foil to nails, do u need a special foil adhesive or is nail glue ok. I would like to apply gel on top if possible?
Star Nails do a foil and its adhesive which is not the same as nail adhesive...

You paint the foil adhesive very thinly onto the nails and wait until it turns transparent then apply the foil and gently massage it with a nail wipe untill all the foil has adhered then seal it with a top coat or similar...I doubt you can apply gel on the top but maybe a uv curing top coat...

But it is trial and error I dont use foils anymore as i found my application to be hit and miss which drove me crackers...hth

Foils don't have to be hit and miss.

Yes, they do need a special adhesive and a special sealer plus:

Paint a coloured varnish that is close to the foil (or totally dofferent if that is the look you want). Foils do nnot stick to s bare nail.

Wait for varnish to dry.

Apply a thin, even layer of adhesive. It goes on translucent and dries clear. wait till it is completely clear, every last bit. Should only take a minute or two.

Place foil over nail and use finger, cotton bud or something to gently press down all over, specially the edges; rip off quickly.

If an important part is missed, reapply adhesive and then foil; but if you've chosen the right base colour it won't notice.

Seal with a recommended sealer (others may make th foll craze). Anything can go over the top of this.

Take a look at this months Vogue. In the supplement there are several pics of mine. One of them is usinf a marbelled foil. Although the thumbs may be retouched, the other fingers aren't.

I love foil but you just need to understand it's capabilities (a good base coat is the trick)

Marian

This is Marians work............. pretty fab aint it xxxxJust had to show you visualy xxx

Attachments

• MN in Vougue.jpg
    MN in Vougue.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 143
Nailsinlondon1 said:
This is Marians work............. pretty fab aint it
Ooooh yes! what a fantastic pic, I love to see nails in a pose I havent seen before ... and I havent seen this one.
Thanx for posting Ruth :biggrin:
Also, Marian is right about the foil thing, the bit I kept missing out was the 'tear off quickly' and it really does make a difference ;)

Latest posts

Back