Reaction to Botox, eyebrow tint or potent combination of both?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
Hey Geeks, was just wondering if you could help me here....

I got my first ever botox treatment on the centre lines of my forehead & between my 2 eyebrows on Monday past, the 5th, so its only the centre of my forehead affected. So far, so good.

That Friday I tinted & waxed my eyebrows, something I do all the time with no problem, I didn't notice anything different other than the wax felt a little warmer than usual, but not at all uncomfortable - I put this down to the fact I'd been exfoliating with Youthful Essence.

On Saturday night my eyes were watering & felt a bit tired on, I just put that down to the fact I was tired. On Sunday my eyes were kinda swollen & sore, but I usually get that with a hangover, Monday I thought I was still suffering from the weekend. But after closer inspection today I notice that it's only the inner part of my eye, just directly under the part of forehead is frozen, that is swollen up. It's not the eyelid, it's bit between the eyelid & eyebrow.

I phoned the Dr & he said he'd never heard of botox doing that, it must be the tint - but then surely it would be along the whole brow where the tint was that would be affected? Also the skin isn't red or anything, its just swollen up

He said to take antihistamines & it should settle, so fingers crossed, but what is it?

You need to go back to see the Dr who injected you, without actually seeing you it is not really possible to accurately say. Do you have appointment for review? And if not, given your telephone conversation with him I would have thought you should be called back to assess? Sounds like it could be a ptosis (slight droop), assuming we are both thinking along the same lines as to the location you describe.

You should not have waxed your eyebrows this close to having botox, or exfoliated, this would increase risk of diffusion causing a ptosis, and I would presume you received aftercare advice? I have to say if a patient of mine waxed and exfoliated within days of receiving botox I would be extremely cross with them. Aftercare following botox is extremely important and has a definite impact on the effectiveness of a treatment. I would be suprised if you did not receive any information to advise this - ie no facial massage for 2 weeks, gentle cleansing for 48 hours etc

Last edited:
Actually no, I was never told any of that... even on the phone he never said that. The only thing I was told not to do was to lie down after the treatment ...& I was only told this after coaxing him, he was about to let me walk out only I asked if there was anything I should avoid & he said that. As for aftercare sheet, not a chance!

Actually no, I was never told any of that... even on the phone he never said that. The only thing I was told not to do was to lie down after the treatment ...& I was only told this after coaxing him, he was about to let me walk out only I asked if there was anything I should avoid & he said that. As for aftercare sheet, not a chance!

Daisyl has given you some good advice, unfortunately some side effects of botox are heavyness in the eyelid increased lacrimation and swelling; all should subside. Waxing so soon after botox is not advised and you may find that things are looking worse if you are hungover with little sleep. If you are still concerned phone the clinic and ask for an appointment to see the Doctor who treated you x

Hey Geeks, was just wondering if you could help me here....

I got my first ever botox treatment on the centre lines of my forehead & between my 2 eyebrows on Monday past, the 5th, so its only the centre of my forehead affected. So far, so good.

That Friday I tinted & waxed my eyebrows, something I do all the time with no problem, I didn't notice anything different other than the wax felt a little warmer than usual, but not at all uncomfortable - I put this down to the fact I'd been exfoliating with Youthful Essence.

On Saturday night my eyes were watering & felt a bit tired on, I just put that down to the fact I was tired. On Sunday my eyes were kinda swollen & sore, but I usually get that with a hangover, Monday I thought I was still suffering from the weekend. But after closer inspection today I notice that it's only the inner part of my eye, just directly under the part of forehead is frozen, that is swollen up. It's not the eyelid, it's bit between the eyelid & eyebrow.

I phoned the Dr & he said he'd never heard of botox doing that, it must be the tint - but then surely it would be along the whole brow where the tint was that would be affected? Also the skin isn't red or anything, its just swollen up

He said to take antihistamines & it should settle, so fingers crossed, but what is it?

It sounds like a mild ptosis to me as well. At the very least if it's not settled then pop back to see the person who injected you. This should be free of charge.

I'm concerned you weren't given proper after care advise as well because potentially the waxing or exfoliating could have displaced the botox to adjacent muscle due to the pressure applied in the area.

I would always advise clients to avoid this for around 2 weeks after treatment to allow the botox to settle and only diffuse into the muscles I had targeted originally.

However, saying that, it is still a known (albeit rare) complication of botulinum toxins to potentially cause ptosis (drooping eyebrow or eye lid) and this is always explained first during the consultation and consent process.

The good news is it is temporary and should wear off within a few weeks with a maximum of 3 months.

Adam

I would always advise clients to avoid this for around 2 weeks after treatment to allow the botox to settle and only diffuse into the muscles I had targeted originally.

I just wanted to say I'm really happy to have stumbled across this post. As a beauty therapist I don't really have any knowledge of non-surgical treatments like botox. Although I suppose its a bit of common sense ( I wouldn't be happy waxing someone who had their botox done the same day for example) I wouldn't have though you need to wait for 2weeks. I know a couple of ladies who get botox done every few months and now I am a bit more informed to treat them safely.

Think I'd better go and do a bit more research on these treatments even though I don't do them! Thank you all :D

I really hope you problem calms down soon Louise. Good to hear that it will wear off!

Air x

Latest posts

Back