Recession how are your bookings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to try Felixstowe, where I am (or then again, probably not). It's not a poor area but people are veeeerrry reluctant to spend their money. They need a lot of persuading with lots of ethical bribes, lol

God TELL ME ABOUT IT! Hereford is a Pound Shop, Charity Shop and Cheap Shoes town! People come into the salon, ask the price of say a cut and then when we tell them, the go "oh pfffft THATS a bit pricy" as if we're going to give them a bloody discount or something! So RUDE! Its not even like we're some back street salon our place is BIG and New and pretty not some scabby salon! IF you dont like it go to Sweeny Todds and get yourself a crap cut for a fiver haha

Hi all, I have to say I'm quiet and although I think its great that some people are busy I don't think it helps people like dawn to feel any better when they say how busy they are as the orignal thread was about a drop in takings! but this is just my opinion

Like KylieB I work mobile and have never been busier, I can barely keep up with the phone calls at the moment! I also work 2 days a week in salon and we're DEAD!

I think perhaps because freelancers can charge less as our overheads are so much lower than salons, people are holding on the their pennies and going for a cheaper alternative. I've also been told by clients that having someone come to the house is much more convenient for them, especially if they work.

I hate to suggest longer hours but some salons near us are staying open until 10pm to get more clients.

Like KylieB I work mobile and have never been busier, I can barely keep up with the phone calls at the moment! I also work 2 days a week in salon and we're DEAD!

I think perhaps because freelancers can charge less as our overheads are so much lower than salons, people are holding on the their pennies and going for a cheaper alternative. I've also been told by clients that having someone come to the house is much more convenient for them, especially if they work.

I hate to suggest longer hours but some salons near us are staying open until 10pm to get more clients.

Hi , Im mobile too and was just wondering if you have many NSS salons in your area???I havent had many extra bookings,and Im so worried people are popping in town for pressies and that xmas do out fit, and are stopping off in the NNS salons, or are they just going to xmas dos with cruddy looking nails due to the credit crunch this year??/?:rolleyes:

I havent noticed any change in bookings over the last few weeks, I am booked up completely. Majority of my clients are regulars and new ones are all recommendations from them. I do have a few though that have gone from 3 weekly appointments to 4 weeks.

Hi , Im mobile too and was just wondering if you have many NSS salons in your area???I havent had many extra bookings,and Im so worried people are popping in town for pressies and that xmas do out fit, and are stopping off in the NNS salons, or are they just going to xmas dos with cruddy looking nails due to the credit crunch this year??/?:rolleyes:

I do hair and beauty but not nail enhancements or threading. Any calls I get re: threading or enhancements I pass on to friends. I also do this for hair extensions which I also don't offer.

Might be an idea to co-operate with other professionals offering things you don't, that way you all get to recommend each other.

Another route I have found very successful is to advertise on local gumtree, I'm averaging one new client a week and usually getting recommendations from them too. You can post pics of your work which I think definitely helps.

Its also an idea to drop leaflets in student halls of residence, especially after xmas as they're all back with their bit of christmas cash. I prefer to offer party booking prices rather than student discount that way you can make one trip, do numerous people and make a fair whack even with a discounted rate. (also saves you dragging your stuff back and forth for seperate bookings)

I also do alot of muslim ladies (good market for hairdressers as they can't show hair and not alot of 'closed' salons about) Many (especially if their english isn't good) prefer to have treatment at home, its more convenient and they often have children so salon trips are hard work. It can take a bit more time due to communication issues, but lots of books with pics, colour charts etc. overcome the problem. Once you impress one lady your name will soon get around.

Hope it picks up for you soon X

Just a quick question can anyone please tell me what NNS is/means as I have seen it a few times and havent a clue?
Many thanks :hug:

Just a quick question can anyone please tell me what NNS is/means as I have seen it a few times and havent a clue?
Many thanks :hug:

non standard salon....LOADS of them in most towns you'll have seen them:eek:

pop nss into the 'search box' makes interesting reading !

I do hair and beauty but not nail enhancements or threading. Any calls I get re: threading or enhancements I pass on to friends. I also do this for hair extensions which I also don't offer.

Might be an idea to co-operate with other professionals offering things you don't, that way you all get to recommend each other.

Another route I have found very successful is to advertise on local gumtree, I'm averaging one new client a week and usually getting recommendations from them too. You can post pics of your work which I think definitely helps.

Its also an idea to drop leaflets in student halls of residence, especially after xmas as they're all back with their bit of christmas cash. I prefer to offer party booking prices rather than student discount that way you can make one trip, do numerous people and make a fair whack even with a discounted rate. (also saves you dragging your stuff back and forth for seperate bookings)

I also do alot of muslim ladies (good market for hairdressers as they can't show hair and not alot of 'closed' salons about) Many (especially if their english isn't good) prefer to have treatment at home, its more convenient and they often have children so salon trips are hard work. It can take a bit more time due to communication issues, but lots of books with pics, colour charts etc. overcome the problem. Once you impress one lady your name will soon get around.

Hope it picks up for you soon X

Aw thanks for that, have just put an ad on gumtree, see if I get any joy.:)

non standard salon....LOADS of them in most towns you'll have seen them:eek:

pop nss into the 'search box' makes interesting reading !

Thank you- just going to do a search on it now! :hug:

Latest posts

Back