Recession how are your bookings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn27

Reaction score
Hi out there,
I am seriously worried!! Have owned a hair & beauty salon for over 5 years now, but last friday was the worst day ever bookings wise. I am trying all the obvious stuff, leaflet drops, making every one's visit an friendly and professional one, good prices. Had a few staff changes this year which hasnt helped, and stylists have taken quite a few of my clients with them :irked:!! and it is taking a lot to get new clients in. Just feeling a bit frustrated and concerned. Anyone else seeing a drop in their bookings or is it just me!!!! :irked:

Cheers Dawn x

Hi out there,
I am seriously worried!! Have owned a hair & beauty salon for over 5 years now, but last friday was the worst day ever bookings wise. I am trying all the obvious stuff, leaflet drops, making every one's visit an friendly and professional one, good prices. Had a few staff changes this year which hasnt helped, and stylists have taken quite a few of my clients with them :irked:!! and it is taking a lot to get new clients in. Just feeling a bit frustrated and concerned. Anyone else seeing a drop in their bookings or is it just me!!!! :irked:

Cheers Dawn x

Hi Dawn ... I think there is more working here than the credit crunch as you have worked out yourself.

Don't loose your nerve and keep doing what you are doing to promote your business. You have an established business which the staff who have left you have NOT.

Peeps maybe holding back a bit to see what is what (especially new business). Many of your old clients may return after an initial flutter with previous staff.

Make economies where you can but never on your service or the quality of your products.

Make sure that you up your marketing in these uncertain times to ensure that your name is the one that people see and remember. I've just had the best month ever and I'm convinced it's because I've joined networking groups, done promotions, special offers and had a flyer in the parish magazine.

Thanks Girls. I am trying to stay positive. Had a load of postcards printed by vista print and intend to do regular drops. Introducing discounts on services for the new year and introduce a friend and both get discount, to hopefully bring in new customers.

Dawn x

I know how you feel, I haven't been busy my self. Last month was so bad. I was hoping to maker some extra money before christmas, but it doesn't look like I'm going to:cry:.
I am going away in feb for a month, going to New Zealand, and to be honest I'm so worried that I won't make enough money for the trip. But oh well, I'll do my best.
I hope you'll get very busy coming to christmas:hug:

Are you also finding less business with wedding make-up as people put off getting married on account of the credit crunch? Or isn't that the case?

I'm feeling a drop right now, while I have a stronger client base than last year in terms of regulars... I have had less 'one-offs' than I usually do for December. Not as booked as I'd planned on being.
Still hoping for last min calls to take the openings left...

I think the recession is starting to hit the luxury services:cry:

I'm going to up my game in February with some advertising that I haven't done in a while and offer some specials.
Crossing fingers....

Hi out there,

Cheers Dawn x

Sounds like a good time to give your business a bit of a facelift. I don't mean, decorating and things, just low cost stuff like maybe changing a few things on your price list, maybe introduce a few new products, change uniforms?

I'm doing a similar thing after new year, but i'm totally re-branding my salon. It could work just as well on a smaller scale. I'm doing the whole 'New Year', New You and New Us' thing! Clients get bored if you constantly keep things the same and you'll probably find you attract a load more customers to replace the ones your staff have pinched!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

I agree with this keep fresh, keep vibrant and different. I have introduced a professional make-up artist, am airbrushing like mad and have changed the wall posters to eye-catching nails. so many people have commented to the pics and decorations that it has to be helping my word of mouth.

It was our 1st year Bday 2 weeks ago and atm, we're quieter than when we 1st opened! I know the week before Xmas was a great week last year so hopefully it will be the same again this year.

I am really struggling to see the point of it all atm, fed up of struggling throuhg. Espescially as Ive done everything short of Discounting to get people in.
Facebook, texts, offers, emails, GREAT customer service, little extras for my Regs and we're still quiet. It seems people just ARENT spending money in my town atm. I hate the media for perpetuating the problem out of all recognition!

Fingers, toes, bums, ears and eyes crossed trade picks up! Just gotta keep plugging away and away and pray that it all comes good.

It was our 1st year Bday 2 weeks ago and atm, we're quieter than when we 1st opened! I know the week before Xmas was a great week last year so hopefully it will be the same again this year.

I am really struggling to see the point of it all atm, fed up of struggling throuhg. Espescially as Ive done everything short of Discounting to get people in.
Facebook, texts, offers, emails, GREAT customer service, little extras for my Regs and we're still quiet. It seems people just ARENT spending money in my town atm. I hate the media for perpetuating the problem out of all recognition!

Fingers, toes, bums, ears and eyes crossed trade picks up! Just gotta keep plugging away and away and pray that it all comes good.

I must admit, Hereford is one of the hardest places that I have had to build a good regular client base (torture comes to mind!):cry:. Many of my clients return about every 6 weeks for maintenance rather than the standard 2/3 but to be honest I am just relieved that they do return, eventually. It is rather painful but lets hope more people start getting in the party spirit x:)

I feel the same. If the media hadn't got everybody thinking they needed to hand on to their dosh the economy probably wouldn't be as bas as it now is. The media should have just kept quiet & let us carry on with our usual spending.

I must admit, Hereford is one of the hardest places that I have had to build a good regular client base (torture comes to mind!):cry:. Many of my clients return about every 6 weeks for maintenance rather than the standard 2/3 but to be honest I am just relieved that they do return, eventually. It is rather painful but lets hope more people start getting in the party spirit x:)

You want to try Felixstowe, where I am (or then again, probably not). It's not a poor area but people are veeeerrry reluctant to spend their money. They need a lot of persuading with lots of ethical bribes, lol

I am mobile and have to say i have never been so busy. I dont know if this is because i'm mobile and xmas is a stressful time and people want somone to come to their homes to save them the hassle of going to a salon ?
Hope things pick up for you hun I'm sure it wont be this bad forever!!
xxx

Hi all, I have to say I'm quiet and although I think its great that some people are busy I don't think it helps people like dawn to feel any better when they say how busy they are as the orignal thread was about a drop in takings! but this is just my opinion

Hi all, I have to say I'm quiet and although I think its great that some people are busy I don't think it helps people like dawn to feel any better when they say how busy they are as the orignal thread was about a drop in takings! but this is just my opinion

It says is anyone else seeing a drop in their bookings or is it just me?
and this is just my opinion like i said it is probably because i am mobile. I wasnt trying to make you feel bad in any way Dawn but just thought i would let you know as if you are getting to the point where you are finding it really hard then there is mobile work out there that could possibly bring clients to your salon in the end :hug:

Last year I was asked by Nails Magazine a similar question.
I responded that things were changing; clients were beginning to lose their homes. Now something that has never happened before, clients/spouses/family are losing their jobs either being laid off or getting fired. Thankfully I’m busy.

I always provide something different.
I provide lots of nail art/color.
One thing that gets lots of attention is I tell everyone I can match acrylic or gel to their colors (special occasion outfit) they either bring in their clothing article or a picture and I copy it. I include rhinestones/3d acrylic/encasing etc.
I try to fit new clients in to my busy work schedule.
Last Friday I worked until 8:00 p.m. and had to return to work for my first client Saturday morning I was back at 6:00a.m. for a body wrap.
I have always tried to keep my Saturdays easy by only working until noon. With the new clients that are late work week employees I am working later and later on Saturdays.

My salon has always been closed Sundays and Mondays, just last week I allowed my workers to work those days, so far, until the middle of January. I still take those two days off.

The mind-set I live by is:
The client is not coming to my business for the building/the color scheme/the décor.
The color, design or style of my cards/postcards has never brought me more business.

The clientele returns for the service I provided that is consistent, the type of service that they won’t find any where else.
The come for, “something different”

If I had a card board box for a table, shipping crates for chairs a candle for lighting (hopefully no wind), my clients would still schedule with me…….

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying I’m the best.

I remind myself daily, they are paying my bills. When the phone rings instead of regret, I try (it’s difficult when I’m working)(No, I don’t and never will hire a receptionist) to be uplifting and positive. When the clients walks in I make sure to greet them (even when I know I will never work on them/ who knows?) and as they are leaving I always thank them for coming in regardless if I provided the service or not.

My first salon is located on one of the busiest sections in the area. There are many, many spas, salons, barbershops. Some, now closing their doors.
In no way am I trying to hurt feelings. I'm not that sort of person. The media has everyone scared, and maybe this is the ugly wake-up call we all needed. My parents and their parents went though some serious hard times. I was brought up with "less" than most. So I kind of understand how to live within my means. I am one of the middle children of 10 siblings.

Last edited:

The mind-set I live by is:
The client is not coming to my business for the building/the color scheme/the décor.
The color, design or style of my cards/postcards has never brought me more business.

The clientele returns for the service I provided that is consistent, the type of service that they won’t find any where else.
The come for, “something different”

If I had a card board box for a table, shipping crates for chairs a candle for lighting (hopefully no wind), my clients would still schedule with me…….

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying I’m the best.

I remind myself daily, they are paying my bills. When the phone rings instead of regret, I try (it’s difficult when I’m working)(No, I don’t and never will hire a receptionist) to be uplifting and positive. When the clients walks in I make sure to greet them (even when I know I will never work on them/ who knows?) and as they are leaving I always thank them for coming in regardless if I provided the service or not.

quote]

I LOVE your mind-set...wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It the time for change do something different - last year I managed a salon for the upscale client my target was between 25-50k PER WEEK for hair nails n beauty we pulled out all the stops to hit our target each week, we also had ALL the products and treatments you could think of, I for one try and emulate what they do as 10% of what they take will do me nicely!!!

I'm focused on christmas and getting through then I am doing a re-launch of my salon with focus on me attaining my masters and custom blending. One of my oldest clients asked me did I do children as she would bring her grand-daughter to another salon if I didnt as they did - this info is in my price list but she hadnt seen it - so its my duty to re-inform my clients of all the treatments that they can have.

I am the only tech who truly does it all in this town - am I the busiest? no I'm working on it tho, I've only realised it now and my goal is to get my name permanently out there.

This week is a bit better:)A few appointments in my book:lol: But still no where near to last year. I'm selling a good few vouchers, it makes a big difference. I work from home, so there is no overheads, but if I had to pay rent, i'd find it too difficult.
Are you guys getting a bit busier this month?

Latest posts

Back