Recipe for perm neutraliser, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou :)

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't posted on here for ages but I do check in from time to time still & I love reading through all the posts!
Anyway I've got a perm booked in 1st thing & I don't think there is any neutraliser left (eeek!) I can't for the life of me remember the recipe to make some up..... Can anyone help me please??
Thanks in advance everyone :)

Surely it would be better to run and get some? Rather than hoping and praying to mix some..... In all my years I've never heard of this! X

Hi all, I haven't posted on here for ages but I do check in from time to time still & I love reading through all the posts!
Anyway I've got a perm booked in 1st thing & I don't think there is any neutraliser left (eeek!) I can't for the life of me remember the recipe to make some up..... Can anyone help me please??
Thanks in advance everyone :)
Go fetch some :0 x

I don't drive... Or I would prefer to do that.
I'm sure I've heard of something that can be used (I've never had to in all my years either!) just looking for an option other than canceling the client. No harm asking is there?

I'd cancel. Better safe then sorry x

At college they said if its an emergency use a low oxydant like 10vol or 6vol, or just rinse the perm and leave the rods I'm for 2 days then the bonds will shut with the air haha

30mls 9%, 10mls conditioner and 60mls warm water.

Shake well.

I'm surprised they don't teach this anymore?

Can you really send a client away with rods in for 2 days?
Part of the reason we say not to shampoo or get the hair wet in the first 2 days is because the bonds still need to fix together fully, and water can cause them to move while doing this and reform back straight or wavy.
Don't know why they said leave 2 days though as the neutraliser is there to lock the bonds to help kick start te full bonding therefore would need more than 2 days to fully bond if no neutraliser and the hair would be at the wrong ph level intimately damaging hair.

Colleges should be teaching by the book and saying if you don't have the correct product don't do it, not if you haven't got the product x will work instead, this is lazy and the wrong way to teach as well as running our names into the ground as caring and professional stylists. Xoxo

Theres no way id risk it i would rather cancel

Shake well.

Thankyou! I'd half convinced myself I'd made the whole thing up for a while there! I did re-schedule the client in the end. But always good to have emergency knowledge! :)

Surely it would be better to run and get some? Rather than hoping and praying to mix some..... In all my years I've never heard of this! X

When I worked in salon years ago it was equal parts shampoo 20 vol peroxide and water

When I worked in salon years ago it was equal parts shampoo 20 vol peroxide and water
I did it a while ago when my nutraliser spilt and was fine

I remember a fellow stylist telling me that a salon she worked at, long time ago, would sometimes use a demi permanent colour to neutralise a perm?? No idea how that brings the pH back to normal mind ...
Out of curiosity how do you run out of neutraliser when they come as a set?

Shake well.

When I started in hairdressing in the 70s we never had ready made stuff and always made our own.

Latest posts

Back