Red hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessClaire

Reaction score
my hair has been a redish brown for a while and i have decided to go a 4. the colour is still quite redish. is this because of the underlying pigment? i used a base shade to try and cover the red but obviously hasnt worked. what should i do?..bleach it out? thanks :lol:

Red hair can be stubburn , it could be that the colour hasnt penetrated the cuticle and is sitting on top ( dark colours tend to fade on red hair too) im not sure ( because ive never tried it!) but presoftening before colouring may help , dont forget though, it probably suits you if the colour has some warmth.
Sorry i thought your hair was naturally red - disregard all of the above!

Last edited:
don't bleach it out! maybe try a gentle cleanse to remove the tone (L'Oreal do a good one Effasor) or if its still really red go for a slightly green or ash toned colour. I did this when I had red hair, used L'Oreal 5.07 and the green tone neautralised the red pigment and gave me a natural brown. be careful if you have regrowth though you dont want green roots!

hiya! to kill the red just tone with green. if you lift it you will have to lift and lift to get rid of the red and then presumably you will want to go back dark....so you will have stressed your hair for nothing really. hope that makes sense. good luck :) xxxx

Hi, if you want to be cooler base 4,

you could ask your hairdresser to use a semi demi permanent quasi
eg.. Wella Colour fresh in a cool base 4 or even a natural base 4
with 1.9%
but depending on grab ask her to do test pieces first

also by using a much lower peroxide with a cooler base , it will kill any red tones without needlessly lifting it anymore

The peroxide strength could be the main problem ,
because the higher the peroxide strength more the natural red pigment will be drawn out

The result will depend on what you have previously put on your hair ,
so do ask your hairdresser for test pieces so you can see the actual colour it will turn out first , then she can tweak it a bit for you to the exact colour you want , so there's no guesswork involved

and definitely no bleach or it will turn orange :) hth x minky

Latest posts

Back