Refund or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor you :hug:

Why not this analogy with people that claim their nails 'fell off'.

Convo with client goes like this:
You: Here are two pieces of paper,I'll lay one on flat of the other, and press them together. Now I'm lifting the bottom piece (and the top falls to the floor)... That fell off because there was no adhesion - in this case glue - and the below paper isn't torn, right?
Client: No, the paper is fine.
You: Ok, here are two pieces of paper... now if I put glue on one, press them together and then let the glue dry, THEN try to seperate them, what happens?
Client: they tear...
You: exactly. So for the nails, they didn't fall off to the salon floor when you/she got up from the table at the end of the service because there WAS adhesion aka glue for the analogy, and there are now tears in the nail plate.............
So if there's adhesion, they have to be pulled off which results in the tears.........
Client: <light goes on in their head and you see comprehension in their face... they just lost the battle> client nods head.........

Or something along those lines :green:

I'm interested to know why you would all re-do these nails for free? If somene had ripped off all my hard work within 48 hours I wouldn't want to do them again for free, they will only do the same again. If I paid a hairdresser to cut my hair then took a pair of scissors to it when I got home, somehow I doubt the hairdresser would re-cut it for free to put right the damage I'd done! I really don't understand why anyone would want to do these girls nails again?

Kirsty x

I agree! Dont even offer to redo!
I learnt the hard way with this! I had a girl say 8 fell off and wanted a refund, I said no refund but I will redo the 8 that came off. She kept saying no then eventually agreed. She came in and I done them for her, next day I was in my local co-op, turned out she worked there and served me on the till. All TEN nails were off! She had realised she wouldnt get a refund from me so decided just to get them redone just to take them all off again! So I basically done a full set for free for her to rip off!

You can always tell a scammer as when you are doing the treatment on them the first time they start telling you stories, and they also ask for a refund straight away. If someone was genuine and a nail came off they wouldnt be asking for a full refund they would be asking if you can fix it. And they would be willing to come in asap, and also not get their mum to call!

I am genuinely sad and upset to read your story today. I am at least pleased to hear that once this man knew you were scared he calmed down. I would be happier still if his own conscience got the better of him and he returned your cheque when he received it.

I feel you should write a lovely and polite note to HIM not the mother but him, and actually explain the situation with the girls nails etc and that it was nothing to do with your expertise and that the evidence was visible as to what had happened. You had in good faith provided a service to his daughters for which you had expected to be paid and that you feel distressed by the argument that ensued. I would actually ask him to call you to arrange a convenient time when he can collect the cheque from your salon .... and then see if he actually arrives. A lovely letter might actually make him embarassed about his and his family's behaviour.

I wouldn't just send the cheque, I would make them come back in and face me .. but I am older than you which probably makes a difference. So if you would rather just send the cheque then that's what you should do my lovely.

Jacqui xx

Thanks Jacqui xxx

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you had to go through this...gawd, the nerve of some people:mad:

I agree with the other poster, don't just send the cheque, send a letter with it explaining your experience, your problem FREE years of doing nails and explain the paper analogy and that you did see damage on his daughters nails and that you are trained to spot these things, so you are confident you applied them correctly.
Then chop to it with getting your disclaimer etc into place to protect you from this sort of thing again.

And make sure if you hear from him again and he is being nasty and scaring you, then report it to the police, at least then they will have a record of it if he ever thinks he is bigger than you and thinks he can go to the police (which he wouldn't cause deep down he knows his kid is in the wrong, he just thought he would try it on and see what would happen).

Did you actually give him a figure of how much refund you will give? Is there anyway you can change this now?

I'm sure you are thinking you just want this to end and sending a check is the easy way for that to happen. But it is the tenacity of these people as well as the bullying that has made you, under threat, give in. You were threatened. You still have no obligation to pay them back if they have coerced you under threat to do something. I'd go to the police and be as tenacious now as they have been in NOT paying them a penny.

hi i hope everything is ok now. however i would not have given them any money back i would have stated that as soon as there girls had any problems they should have came in to see me to let me have a look as to what was going wrong, once all the nails are off there is nothing really that can be done. i would have probably offered to do them again but would never give money back for anything after all you know yourself you can do your job properly. dont give up forget about it and move on. however in the future i personally would never give any money back, unless it is generally your fault

What a total & utter bully.

I am sad for you that you experienced this. Unfortunately some people will NEVER be pleased.

Awww what a horrid experience , seems like they really ganged up on you! Please don't let it affect your confidence I'm sure everyone experiences situations like this at some point and I'm also sure I wouldn't if handled it quite as well as you have xxxxx

OMG that awful!! Hope your ok!

They sound like a right nutty family! Don't let them ruin your Career you must be a very good tech if you have opened a shop and there are a lot more nice customers than bad and they are prob all talk anyway to get the money back!!

Have a glass of wine! :)

Xxxx

Thank you guys, I called the guy and told him he needs to come by and pick up his cheque. I was expecting him today but he did not show. Shame cause I was all geared up give him a peice of my mind.

I cannot believe this idiot made me feel so bad that I thought about throwing in the towel after all my hard work and training!

Never again... Thank you to everyone that replied and helped empower me :) xxx

Exactly! He is the idiot NOT you.

Don't ever let anybody make you feel like this about your work again.

Just keep the cheque for a week, if he still hasn't shown up contact him and tell him either he picks it up NOW/TODAY or it is no longer available.

You can't be expected to just have refund money sitting there waiting for him forever, it needs to be used for your small business not to just sit around at his leisure.

I wouldn't call him again.

And if anyone but the husband comes in very politely tell them that the cheque is ready for collection but HE has to come in for it. Period. No debating or arguing.

It was he that used his force to overcome you so let it be him that comes and takes the cheque from the young woman he frightened half to death.

In the meantime don't dwell on it but know its made you a bit stronger than you were before.

Jacqui xx

what an awful situation fortunately these are rare so please dont feel upset you will always get chancers just not ones as angry lol just think of all the good clients you get and all the good feedback xx

I wouldn't call him again.

And if anyone but the husband comes in very politely tell them that the cheque is ready for collection but HE has to come in for it. Period. No debating or arguing.

It was he that used his force to overcome you so let it be him that comes and takes the cheque from the young woman he frightened half to death.

In the meantime don't dwell on it but know its made you a bit stronger than you were before.

Jacqui xx

Absolutely! I has made me a little tougher, thanks to your goodself and many others who supported me through my tears on that horrid day! Thanks sweetie xx You're a real treasure x

Latest posts

Back