Refund or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I did a couple of sets of Gel nails on Thursday evening. The girls were both 16. One of the girls had bitten nails, they were not painfully short but shorter than the norm. I advised her that she needed to have her tips v short to prolong their life etc and she took my advise. The other girls nails were a dream to work with, just the right length etc.

They told me that they have tried three other salons in the area but the nails don't last. To be honest when they mentioned one salon in particular I thought it was odd as before i qualified i used to have mine done there and never had any problems.

I gave them my usual care advise and told them to book in for their infills etc. Both were really happy.

Then today I got a phone call from one of their mums saying all the nails had come off. I was mortified and instantly offered to re do them without asking any questions. She said she would check when the girls are free and get back to me.

I later got a voicemail from her to say that they would like their money back instead.

I feel a little let down and deflated by this. I am not using a new system, and have never had trouble before. I have not returned the ladies call yet as I wanted to get some advise. I do not want to give a refund but don't want bad press for my salon either. What would you do?

I find it really hard to believe that 20 gels nails have all fallen off within 48 hours... Surely even a newbie could not achieve this?

They will be a bad press anyway - as they already commented on the other salons... I would not refund 100% as they had them on for 24hrs - maybe only wanted them for an event. I would offer to have a look what has happened (and would see if they caused intentional damage), then offer a fix if it looks like my fault or offer a free removal if they do not want them on anymore... NO REFUND!!!

I wouldnt even consider a refund! you have offered to put the work right (if it was ever wrong in the 1st place). Sounds to me like they want to get their money back to buy something else now! lol. x

Stick to the thought.....that if they wanted a refund from a department store, then they would have to take the product back to be looked at, well it's no different in this situation.

You MUST look at their nails first before making any decision on what to do.
I would be reluctant to give refund and stick to your guns about re-doing for free.

I agree, there is no way 20 nails on 2 girls could just fall off and you will be able to see damage on their nails from where they ripped the enhancements off for sure, so look closely for it and point it out straight away.

I would ring the mother back, tell her you need the girls in the salon to have a look and you will take it from there.
Then when you get them in the salon make it clear BEFORE you look at their nails that you will not be offering a refund if you see any damage from where the girls have pulled them off themselves and then look for it, it WILL be there I reckon.

Then due to the damage you find, only offer to re-do them, that's it.
No point in offering a soak off if they are all gone hey, so just focus on the re-do and that's that.

Don't stress about one bad experience and remember it has never happened before, so it can not have been your work and tell them that if you have to.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

I wouldnt even consider a refund! you have offered to put the work right (if it was ever wrong in the 1st place). Sounds to me like they want to get their money back to buy something else now! lol. x

Absolutely right. No refund. You have offered to put it right if you see them within a reasonable time. Don't let it knock your confidence, you know your work is good. It sounds like they are just scamming all the local salons.

Thanks guys x this thread has helped loads xxx

I'm interested to know why you would all re-do these nails for free? If somene had ripped off all my hard work within 48 hours I wouldn't want to do them again for free, they will only do the same again. If I paid a hairdresser to cut my hair then took a pair of scissors to it when I got home, somehow I doubt the hairdresser would re-cut it for free to put right the damage I'd done! I really don't understand why anyone would want to do these girls nails again?

Kirsty x

I would not re-do them for free.

I would look at them, show them where they had been prized off (which there is absolutely no doubt they have been) tell them I have loads of experience and will not take the responsibility for what they have done.

Let them say what they like lol. The people who would listen to them will be just like them and you don't want free-loaders as clients in your salon.

This is why you all should have a consultation card with an indemnity part in it, like one CND card has, which clearly states that no repairs will be done for free and no refunds will be given.

I dont have the time to do free nails. My diary is full for 6 weeks ahead.

I too don't understand why would someone even mention redoing for free.

I had a woman in who asked for design with roses and then ended up being sent home from work to deal with it. Now, it is not my fault that she failed to comply with working dress code, she didn't even ask for a discount. It's my time, my product, my expertise.

Indeed, you can't expect to buy trousers, decide that they are not suitable, get a refund and keep the trousers!

I don't do nails on under 18s without permission and signature from parents. I had my tshirt on this one and frankly do not want it again.

This is roughly what they should sign:

We are glad to offer nail services to teens along with signed parental consent.

Parents should be made aware that nail enhancements are a permanent service and need continuous up keep or professional removal.

Any damage to nails through incorrect 'at home' removal, lack of aftercare or lack of timely maintenance is entirely the responsibility of the client. Please note, that we do not issue refunds on completed services.

Hope you get yours sorted. Be firm and confident in your skills!

Nail designer with a twist;)

I agree with priory, they had these done for an event ant soaked or picked them off as they will have school or college next week! No refund!!! X

Thank you guys...

I am as honest as the day is long and the thought of ripping someone off or not doing my level best for them horrifies me.

I will grow a pair and be firmer. I am a new salon owner... I have been doing nails for a couple of years but not salon based, so not really had any of these experiences before. Guess it is all part of my learning curve.

I am definately going to design a disclaimer of some sort and have customers sign it x

Thank you once again and Happy Easter xxxx

How did you get on?

Nail designer with a twist;)

They definitely do not deserve a refund. Personally, I try *really* hard not to take high school clients. Carrying books around, participating in sports, and doing whatever it is they do....they're just too active and can't be trusted to care for the enhancements properly. I certainly don't do tips on them. (Sculpts only, lol. They're far sturdier and less likely to pop off, at least in my experience.)

On the rare occasion that I do give a school age client a set of enhancements, I explain to them that I do not guarantee them. If they don't follow the maintenance or treat them with care, there will be problems and I will not be held responsible. I've been doing this for a while know how to prep and use product. My adult clients rarely have breaks and never have lifting...so I must be doing something right, lol.

If I were you, I'd tell them that you're sorry, but your product and time cost money. They received what they wanted and you are not a charity worker. Of course they're going to tell everyone that your nails came off, but they're also going to mention that four other salons couldn't give them lasting enhancements too. Anyone listening is going to realize that the girls are the problem...not the technicians.

Regarding the above customer i telephoned her back and told her that our policy is to correct any problems and that we do not offer full refunds.

I asked to see the girls to check their nails. The lady I spoke to said she was not happy and would be back in touch.

My salon opened today as normal as we had several bookings. A new customer stopped by on the off chance and as I had an hour free I agreed to spruce up her tips with some new polish and nail art. I was chatting away happily when the complainee from the above posts came in.

She introduced herself and said she would like a full refund as my service was "rubbish". I asked if she has brought her daughters. She said one was in the car and the other on holiday. I asked to see the one in the car, the girl in the car did not want to come in (you could see this a mile off) but forced by her parent she came in and placed her nails on the reception desk. They were bitten even worse than before and you could see layers of nail plate missing from where the adhesion from the gel had been broken. I clearly pointed this out to the mother and said I stand by my work. I was so confident and straight to the point. I offered them a voucher as a good will gesture but declined to refund. She ignored my offer and stormed off promising to contact trading standards.

My customer has obviously heard all of this conversion and I felt so embarrassed for her. I tried to talk to her throughout the rest of her treatment but you could tell she just wanted to pay and get away from my salon. She was shook up by the complaining customers agression.

Then just as my customer was leaving the salon phone rang. It was the father of the girls. He was very angry and abusive so I told him I was going to terminate the call until he calmed down. I did this,but he kept calling.

I eventually took the call once my salon was empty and explained all that I had already said to his partner. The girls have experienced issues with all salons - they have confessed this to me already. I am confident the product I use will NOT fall off after 24 hours. Blah Blah Blah...

He threatened to contact the owner of my business premises, trading standards, local press, and the police if I did not give him his money back. He hung up at one point and said he was coming to the salon to have this out with me. At this point I was genuinely quite scared, so I locked the door and called the chap back using 1471.

I asked him to stay away from my salon for the time being as I was alone and he had frightened me. It was a tact that worked and he seemed to calm down some. Explaining that he did not want me to be scared he just wanted his money back. In the end we agreed on a partial refund.

I going to send this in the form of a cheque via the post as I genuinely have no desire to see these people again.

For the first time since opening my salon I am genuinely thinking of shutting up shop and sticking to mobile services or maybe doing something completely different.

Since coming home I have been in floods of tears. I don't think I would be feeling as bad if I felt that I should hold some of the blame. In the early days I welcomed negative feedback as I was learning still and needed to know when something was not right, I still feel the same now but I know that this complaint is totally unjustified. Christ when I was a kid I had stick on nails that cost 60p and lasted longer than 24 hours! 20 nails did not "just fall off"

Oh my what a day!

I've just read through this, I hope you are ok. They are nothing but bullies, please try to not let this stop you in a job which you are good at.
The same happened to me with a 16year girl (not the angry father part) and I part refunded her to save the hassle, she too wouldnt show me the nails and had pulled them off herself.

Try to put it behind you and if they contact you again call the police.

Thanks Jessie, I just feel so deflated and emotional.

I am sure I will be okay, I just thought it may help to express it all on here x Appreciate you taking the time to have a read xxxx

Oh Im so sorry that you have had to deal with what can only be described as bullies....please dont give up, they have won then!!! xxx

Oh my u poor thing!!! From what uve said I think u behaved professionally and appropriately! Don't let one (although quite horrible) situation defeat u. U wouldn't be a successful mobile and now salon business if u were knocking out crummy nails, so be proud of urself for how much uve achieved!! For him to intimidate u like that is truly disgusting and if he tried it again I'd contact the police, just so as it's recorded. Put this horrible episode in a box and get rid, then u can get back to running ur salon and enjoy the treatments u give ur clients who love what u do!!! Xx

In the end we agreed on a partial refund.

I am really sorry you have had such an unpleasant experience.

Personally I would not have given a refund, not even a partial one although I appreciate that the client's dad made you feel very uncomfortable. x

I honestly wish I was stronger but the fact remains that I felt scared and yes I was bullied into giving the refund but I will learn from this and refuse to do teenage nails unless a formal disclaimer is signed by an accompanying adult.

I will device a formal complaints procedure and insist any future complaints of this nature are in writing. I will not put myself in a position where I feel that much under pressure or frightened in my own salon again.

Thank you so much for all your feedback. You have no idea how much it is appreciated and what a difference it makes!

Thanks Geeks :) x :hug:

Latest posts

Back