registering a business name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucy.locket02

Reaction score
hi everyone, can some one help me? i need to know what to do to register my own business name, my friend checked a website for me and sais my name was available, but unfourtuntely she didnt know how to go any further, ive taken a look at it and i dont have a clue either!!!! i dont even know if i should be doing this on a website or if i should br doing it with the council?? or mabr neither of these.
i also recall it asking something about if my business will be LTD? i dont even know that either!!!
please please help!!!! xxxxxxx:irked:

having a domain name is one thing, registering your business name is another, protecting your business name is another thing altogether!
Unless you want to spend megabucks on registering your business name as a trademark (think Coca Cola, Microsoft) then buy your domain name from someone like Domain name registration & web hosting from 123-reg
Once you've done this then you will need to create your website, and then get it hosted so that it actually appears on the web.
If you are a sole trader I don't think you need to register with Companies House, but if your company is limited then you will.
You can find lots of very useful information on the Business Link website about starting a company too.
Business support, information and advice | Business Link
One thing to bear in mind is that lots of companies have the same name: how many hair salons have you seen called Headlines, Curl up and Dye etc! It's not necessarily an obstacle unless you want to call your business the same name as someone in your local area, as you are likely to lose business to them with the confusion.
Good luck!

Just whatever you do - DON'T go with the National Business Register! I spent £70 to register my business name with them and £30 to get a domain name and now the b*stards won't even transfer my domain to allow me to use the domain that I have bought and paid for!

What a bunch of useless ^%$£!!!!!! :irked:

Latest posts

Back