Rehydrating nails while wearing gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmefan

Reaction score
Has anyone found any really good treatments for rehydrating the nails while wearing gel polish?

I always try to get clients to use cuticle oil but can often see that they dont :rolleyes: Maybe I can sell an extra treatment once a month to help stop their nails becoming dry and brittle. Trouble is I'm not sure how effective a hot oil or wax treatment would be over gel polish as I don't think I would get them to part with their gel even for a couple of days!

Thoughts anyone?

Solar oil is the only oil that will penetrate the polish. Why don't you do a warm Oil treatment with this?

Why is solor oil the only oil to penetrate the nail? What about nurture oil? Jojoba oil?

Hi

It's because Solar Oil has smaller molecules than many other oils I believe. This is definitely why it can penetrate Shellac. I am not sure if this is the case for ALL gel polishes though, perhaps another geek can advise.

Solar oil only can get through with Shellac as it is a 'porus' gel-polish. If you are using on buff off gel-polish the oil will just sit on top of gel coating.

That is why Shellac is such a great gel-polish. Bio-Gel also have a porus option. If you finish with Sealer Gel (blue one) no UV coat it will be porus too.

Solar oil is so good at plasticizing because of the extremely refined jojoba they use. This acts as a carrier oil and draws the larger molecules with it. Ie: rice bran, sweet almond and tocopherol acetate (vitamin e)

The more frequently it is used the greater the absorption and depth it reaches. (as it forces water and air out)

It will benefit non porous gels and should still be used/recommended to keep hydration up. It will absorb around and soak through all soft tissue and plate exposed.

When the nail is sealed with gel it can actually moisturize itself better than any applied product. We apply oil to seal the surface, this let's body moisture rise up to meet the oil seal. Gels do this perfectly. That's why nails are so soft initially after removal...

It's only temporary dehydration from solvents that is noticeable on the plate surface. A good dose of oil sorts this

I cannot comment on other oils specifically. But most are a much larger grade oil and penetrate less..

Hth's

Last edited:
Wow Envy, Interesting stuff! So as long as solar oil soaking into exposed nail plate and epychium it with soak though the entire nail plate if wearing non porus gels? I always use it for every client... (speed spray for polish) But was wondering on the benefits used with diff products...

Just to clarify - CND Brisa is a hard gel but they still advise daily use of solar oil so I would assume it does penetrate. My difficulty is that some clients are obviously not using their oil so I want to offer an extra service one a month or once a fortnight to improve the condition of their nails.

How would you do a hot oil treatment over gel polish. I don't want to use a bowl as that would waste too much expensive solar oil. How about soaking a pad and wrapping in foil like during soak off? Add in some heated mitts and do you think it would make a difference or be a waste of time?

Correct me if Im wrong but Im sure I had been told Shellac was the only semi permanent polish with "tunnel technology" and that other gels were not breathable?

Ive read so much stuff and Ive done my training and thats what I thought but then I know you cant believe everything you read....

Correct me if Im wrong but Im sure I had been told Shellac was the only semi permanent polish with "tunnel technology" and that other gels were not breathable?

Ive read so much stuff and Ive done my training and thats what I thought but then I know you cant believe everything you read....

I think the 'tunnel technology' you refer to is the system which allows such a quick and clean soak off for Shellac. The tunnels are all connected together by acetone dissolvable molecules. So, acetone based remover goes into the tunnels from the surface, encounters the special molecules which dissolve quickly allowing the remover to penetrate to the next level of tunnels and so on. This was explained in great detail at the original CND Event where Shellac was launched in the UK. Fascinating stuff but so long ago now I can't remember the exact terminology used.

Solar oil does eventually work its way to the nail plate even through hard gels such as Brisa but rely on us regularly massaging it in to gradually 'push' it further and further with each application.

Latest posts

Back