Religion - is yours important? Do you have an opinion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Muslim and i know there are a lot of debates and opinions when it comes to Islam. Islam is very peaceful and we are taught to respect all religions and all beliefs and men and women are EQUAL. It's just a small bunch of Individuals that choose to use Islam as an excuse to control everything and its very old culture that people follow where men are superior and women are classed as nothing. Some cultures don't allow marrying a divorcee because she's second hand goods in their words our prophets first wife was a divorcee, culture doesn't like marrying a older women our prophets was almost twice his age. Women should stay at home and do nothing basically our prophets first wife was a business women who had 100s of men working for her. It is written not to force our religion on anybody that we have to respect everybody no matter what the believe and to treat them equally. And I know people kill in the name of god but islamically killing somebody is equivalent to killing the whole mankind and is something that's not accepted. I fully have respect for all beliefs and religion and don't treat anyone any different. Everyone can have an opinion and as long ad people are kind and honest and have respect for one another I'm cool x

Just my opinion:

Religion and faith are not necessarily the same thing.

A small minority of people want to cause confict; sometimes they use religion as a screen to hide behind. I believe many religions have been used in this way.

Most major world religions have a great deal in common, eg, looking after the needy.

I was brought up as a Catholic, btw. I'm probably termed as agnostic now.

A really good, thought-provoking thread. We shouldn't shy away from discussions like this.

I was christened, went to Sunday school, became a brownie, guide etc etc. I do believe in God, but I don't delve to deep into my religion and I don't believe I have to go to church in order to have a connection with God. People have evolved and times move on, I believe religion needs to adapt and that's where I find that some teachings/beliefs or whatever you want to call it, let their followers down. The bible for me is a series of 'stories' that sometimes can teach us right from wrong or learn how to be a better person- the moral of the story kind of thing. However to have to live by the very word or letter is probably what I have a problem with especially when it comes to having a prejudice attitude to other human beings. Whatever path we choose in life, as long as you're not an evil murderer etc, we have to respect other peoples choices or genetic make up.

I think that we can all live together with different religions and Gods, I don't believe that anyone should force their religion on one another nor do I think it's for anyone to tell anyone else their faith is wrong. We live in such a diverse culture and I think that is something to be proud of.

My biggest struggle with religion is most probably having belief in something without any real proof, but in actual fact I have great respect for those that can do this, that to me is true faith. I don't think I will ever get to this point whether I go to church or not.

I'm not sure whether this is related to religion or not, but I do believe there are people or maybe a God out there that helps us. My husband was involved in a terrible car accident a few years ago, it involved three cars, the man that caused it (who subsequently went to prison for death by dangerous driving), a second car where one of the passengers died at the scene and my husband who hit the second car at 70 mph head on. We have since been told by the police, paramedics and insurance company that my husband should not have survived. In fact whenever anyone came to see my husband they all thought it wasnt him that had been involved, he had bruising and a cracked sternum which was painful, but in light of how his car ended up (smash windscreen and windows on impact, car concertinad, unable to open the boot) these injuries were nothing. So I have to ask myself, when everything like that is against and you still come out of it alive, there must be something, somewhere that saved my husband.... luck, faith I don't know, but I make sure I thank who ever is out there.

I had a jehovah witness ring our buzzer last week, my husband asked them to leave their magazine or booklet as he was trying to get rid of them, the following week they buzzed the intercom and I answered them and told them politely I was church of England and not interested.... what did they say to me.... that's no problem, it's nice to talk to someone else who has religion. Now whether I agree or not with knocking on peoples doors or some of the other practices they follow, it's irrelevant, it was just nice to hear another religion accept mine, show respect and move on.

Great thread and it's so nice that everyone can have their own opinions and it's been kept polite.

Last edited:
I think we all need something to believe in.When the chips are down even atheists find themselves praying.
I have my little chats with god now and again thanks for somethings and help with others.
I've had my children christened and I did go to church regularly for a few years and I do think I was probably at my most relaxed when I did I would actually come out of church feeling peaceful.I think a good church does support many people especially older lonely people and can be a very good thing.
I will also have a religious funeral although for a while I was going to have a humanist funeral.
I hate how religion is used as an excuse for so much bad in some cases,and control of people.It could possibly be the biggest con that there has ever been in the history of the world.I just do my own thing I believe what I believe.

I was christened. I went to a Church of England Primary School and a Catholic Secondary School.

I studied Religious Education at school and passed my GCSE with flying colours in Year 9 (2 years early) as I enjoyed learning about all the different cultures, religions and faiths. I went on to study Philosophy and Religious Ethics for my A Levels.

I now consider myself a Christian Spiritualist. I sit in a spiritual development circle where we have an opening prayer, a closing prayer and although it isn't centred around God, he is certainly a huge part of it. I attended a Divine Service this morning with a group of mediums and it was just like a church service with the 7 principles, except instead of reading from the bible we had mediums giving readings to those sitting in the service.

However, I don't like the term "religion". It scares people off! I believe I have FAITH in something. I also believe that we are all God (made in his image and all that) and that, no matter how God is perceived, we all pray to/worship the same deity. :)

Xxx

Hiya, I am a christian and my relationship with God is the most important thing in my life! I was brought up in a very strict church and I didn't enjoy it or take anything in at all, when I got to secondary school age I became very unhappy and had a lot of problems with being bullied, boys, eating problems ect. I had to come out of school to be home schooled in the end and I had begun going to my local church which is church of England. I was at a massive low point in my life when I decided to give my life over to God and have seen my life transformed dramatically! I was baptized and my boyfriend has also become a christian! I feel like I have become the loving person that God created me to be and am so happy all the time because of his love! X

I'm a practising catholic.

I believe the objective of all religions is to give guidance .

To each their own.

Live and let live.:hug:

I was christened Church of Scotland, mum took me to Sunday school until about 9,

I didn't get married in a church and my children haven't been christened,
I'm unsure what I believe in, if anything at all,
I watch some programmes to try and get an understanding, but my point about weddings and children, if I'm not practising surly its wrong to use the church for a wedding or christening when you have no beliefs.

I think we all need something to believe in.When the chips are down even atheists find themselves praying.
I have my little chats with god now and again thanks for somethings and help with others.
I've had my children christened and I did go to church regularly for a few years and I do think I was probably at my most relaxed when I did I would actually come out of church feeling peaceful.I think a good church does support many people especially older lonely people and can be a very good thing.
I will also have a religious funeral although for a while I was going to have a humanist funeral.
I hate how religion is used as an excuse for so much bad in some cases,and control of people.It could possibly be the biggest con that there has ever been in the history of the world.I just do my own thing I believe what I believe.

Well put. X

I'm not religious at all.

However I do have the upmost respect for people who truly believe that you go on to a better place when you die, it must be a comfort as quite frankly the thought of it terrifies me.

The amount if bloodshed and wars from religion that's happened through the ages is terrible.
Vicki x

Im not religious ,but I do believe in the spirit world ,i respect everyones beliefs ,just be a good person and not a hypocrite ,but we are killing this planet and we need to put religion a side to fix it :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I say I'm not religious rather than an Atheist as i believe in evolution over creation. However I do understand that there are people who have the complete blind faith in something that can not be physically explained ...... Yet.
I do sometimes envy those who do believe but I'm quite scientific in the way I think, my world is quite black & white, i only believe in what i can see, hear & touch, but I acknowledge there are others who see all the colours of the rainbow, but for me this doesn't work.

I've always said when I get married, I won't do it in a church as I'd feel a hypocrite, my sister has told me that she'll never ask me to be godparent to her children due to the fact I don't believe in god, I respect her more for telling me this.

As for my own kids when I have them, they won't be christened as it should be their choice to decide to have a religion not what I or others think they should do.

& for all the other different types of belief, as long as you do not try to force/preach them upon others, then there should be no issues.

I certainly don't think the world would end due to a god being disappointed, or that Jesus is alive & our saviour, IF & it's a huge IF it was to end/show up, I certainly won't be hanging my head in shame, begging for forgiveness cause I believe everything I've done in life has had a meaning to me & I'm not ashamed of it ...... I'll be spending my last moments with my family telling them how much I love them.

I'm a spiritualist sit in a developement circle and talk to the dead ! I really like it it gives me peace in my heart and faith that there's another life onwards. I believe in god don't really like organised religion we had a really cool naming ceremony for our son as my sons father is Hindu but I believe our son can make his own mind up when he gets older. I think a lot of damage is done in the name of religion a lot of intolerance and persecution. There is an amazing film on tonight at 1025 re the holocaust but I don't think I have the stomach to watch it.

My opinion;

I dont believe in god and have never been religious. My mother isnt and R.E at school didnt interest me in the slightest. I believe in the big bang and evolution and dont see how people can live their lives refering to a book that was written years and years ago (please dont get offended) . I cant see how people live their life around religion when theres so much physical and scientific advancements nowadays in the theorys of charles darwin i.e evoloution. I also believe in the spirit world and that your soul goes somewhere when you pass but no heaven or hell but thats for another thread. Also, i believe in gay marraige.

100 years ago the whole of the UK were christian and now about 70% are atheist. In another 100 years from now religion with be obsolete as we will know exactly how life started. I dont want to get married in a church or have my funeral in one, or a religious service as id be a hypocrite. Religion causes too much trouble and things like extreme religions and honour killings proves this x

lol Dolled Up, I wouldn't go as far as to say 70% of the UK is athiest. In fact according to the last census... 71% of the UK is still Christian and 23% have no religion or did not state one. The other 6% are made up of other religions :)

And as for honour killings... well that is concidered to be more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. Extremists also tend to use religion as a cover for what they really want rather than the religion being extreme

lol Dolled Up, I wouldn't go as far as to say 70% of the UK is athiest. In fact according to the last census... 71% of the UK is still Christian and 23% have no religion or did not state one. The other 6% are made up of other religions :)

And as for honour killings... well that is concidered to be more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. Extremists also tend to use religion as a cover for what they really want rather than the religion being extreme
my appologies Lilmissemmylou- my OH was telling me what to put for that bit as i was talking to him about this thread and i did ask him if it was 100% true and he said yes :/

i know it is more cutural but it is still religious. an article i read stated that the islamic party said honour killings are one part of the islamic code (although honour killings are done in most religions).

Talking of god parents this may give you a giggle. When my twins nephews were christened my sister asked me, my husband, her sister in law and brother in law to be godparents.

At the time I was going through a phase of not believing in God so I was the athiest (even though I was the only one out of the 4 of us that could recite the lords prayer), my husband was indifferent but his father is from Egypt and a Muslim, her sister in law was agnostic and her brother in law was of Jewish decent. So a right old mixed bag!

My sister actually asked the church that were holding the christening whether this was an issue. The church said it wasn't, as long as we were there to support the children then that's all that mattered.

We still laugh about it today. Each to their own :lol:

Dolled up honour killings arent allowed in islam. And its a cultural thing and is done across all different backgrounds christians hindus muslims etc etc all have done it and its nothing to do with religion. They use religion to defend themselves.

And honour killings were around before islam came.

Dolled up honour killings arent allowed in islam. And its a cultural thing and is done across all different backgrounds christians hindus muslims etc etc all have done it and its nothing to do with religion. They use religion to defend themselves.
thats why i said the religion causes too much trouble. people use it to hide/defend themselves for what they are doing.i did also say that honor killings are done in most religions so im not just aiming it at islam, just stating something that i had read xx

Latest posts

Back