Religion - is yours important? Do you have an opinion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that some terrible things have been done in the name of religion, and are still being done. I dont think that will ever change. I am very critical of religion on an organisational level, but like I said in my earlier post I think its fine on a personal level and whilst I dont hold any distinct views myself I appreciate that religion can be very comforting for some people.

I came on this thread to post again because I wanted to mention something else I've just considered. If I had to pick a religious group to favour it would be the Salvation Army, because they seem to be the only ones who back up their words with actions. For our non English geeks who dont know who the Salvation Army are, they are a christian sect similar to methodists, who do lots of work with people who live in poverty. They run homeless shelters and soup kitchens, they visit the homeless on the streets with blankets and other provisions, they visit the poor and elderly in their homes with food, blankets etc, and on Christmas day a member of the salvation army spends the day feeding the homeless, the poor the elderly, they deliver christmas dinner ingredients to families who otherwise wouldnt be having a christmas dinner, and they bring presents to families with young children whose family could not afford to buy them any. For me that is true Christianity. They are doing exactly as the bible tells them, helping those in need. I have a great deal of respect for them.

I agree that some terrible things have been done in the name of religion, and are still being done. I dont think that will ever change. I am very critical of religion on an organisational level, but like I said in my earlier post I think its fine on a personal level and whilst I dont hold any distinct views myself I appreciate that religion can be very comforting for some people.

I came on this thread to post again because I wanted to mention something else I've just considered. If I had to pick a religious group to favour it would be the Salvation Army, because they seem to be the only ones who back up their words with actions. For our non English geeks who dont know who the Salvation Army are, they are a christian sect similar to methodists, who do lots of work with people who live in poverty. They run homeless shelters and soup kitchens, they visit the homeless on the streets with blankets and other provisions, they visit the poor and elderly in their homes with food, blankets etc, and on Christmas day a member of the salvation army spends the day feeding the homeless, the poor the elderly, they deliver christmas dinner ingredients to families who otherwise wouldnt be having a christmas dinner, and they bring presents to families with young children whose family could not afford to buy them any. For me that is true Christianity. They are doing exactly as the bible tells them, helping those in need. I have a great deal of respect for them.

Take a close look at the salvation army, quite the shady organisation at the top.

Take a close look at the salvation army, quite the shady organisation at the top.

Really? I'll be doing some internet research later!! I still respect them for their work though, I believe that all organised religions are corrupt at the top, but the salvation army are the only ones who do what the bible tells them to do

'Chelle, you may want to read up on the history of the bible. It's been re-written countless times in order to represent the respective religious agenda/belief system of the religious sect who's re-written it.

The fact that there is a "King James Version" makes this very apparent.

Yep the bible has been re-written!

i'm sorry that i can't add more to the debate other than say i'm not religious at all, but i do respect anyone's right to practise their faith or belief system. i just try to be the best person i can be,my granny once said to me that care,love,respect and compassion for myself and other people as more important than an organised religion xxx

'Chelle, you may want to read up on the history of the bible. It's been re-written countless times in order to represent the respective religious agenda/belief system of the religious sect who's re-written it.

The fact that there is a "King James Version" makes this very apparent.

Oh I entirely understand how christianity has "evolved" through the ages, all I'm saying is that regardless of how you view christianity, it is a very basic christian principle to help the poor. The salvation army seem to be the only christian organisation to do this, and for this and this alone, they have my respect. It may well be that they are a corrupt organisation just as most religions are, but while they continue to provide a bed and a warm meal to people who would otherwise be freezing to death sleeping on the streets they have my respect

I'm not religious at all, I think on the whole it's taken too seriously. Although I do like it when my best friends catholic mum sends me texts sending her blessings and love, it's comforting so I can empathise from that aspect.

There is a big difference between spirituality, religion and organized religion.

My mother's Native American spirituality....I have an affinity for it. It is just that...spirituality, not religion. You are in tune with your own spirit and the spirit of all things living...the earth. Be good in life...that's all.

Religion and organized religion, I have no time for it. Some of the most religious people I know are the most evil people I've ever met. They hide behind the veil of their god. They do horrific things knowing that all will be forgiven by their deity. In their belief system, Adolf Hitler could occupy a place right along side them in heaven if he had asked for forgiveness. Really?

Do I believe that all religious people are like that? No. Am I jaded? Yes.

There is a big difference between spirituality, religion and organized religion.

My mother's Native American spirituality....I have an affinity for it. It is just that...spirituality, not religion. You are in tune with your own spirit and the spirit of all things living...the earth. Be good in life...that's all.

Religion and organized religion, I have no time for it. Some of the most religious people I know are the most evil people I've ever met. They hide behind the veil of their god. They do horrific things knowing that all will be forgiven by their deity. In their belief system, Adolf Hitler could occupy a place right along side them in heaven if he had asked for forgiveness. Really?

Do I believe that all religious people are like that? No. Am I jaded? Yes.

I agree with you to some extent. Religion on a personal level can be a wonderful thing and I totally support a persons right to practice whatever religion they believe in as long as they are not imposing it on other people and not harming anyone. It can bring a great deal of comfort to people and help people cope with life. I dont agree with it personally but if its non intrusive and helps a person cope with life I totally support their rights to practice religion.

Religion as an organisation though is a different matter. I know its strange to have such pro and anti views about the same subject matter, but in my mind there's a world of difference between religion on an individual basis, and organised religion. Organised religion is harmful, corrupt, hypocritical and abhorrent in my view. It stems from the days when religious law was the law of the land and was used to keep people under control, therefore the senior church members ensured that the religious rules were beneficial to them, basically religion was then what politics is now. Obviously times have changed but many religious rules still remain, and religious people follow them believing that they are the word of God, when in fact they are the word of senior clerics who wanted to control the masses. Organised religion creates hostility because your church tells you that non believers are going to hell, and the hypocricy is astounding!! I come from a catholic background although I am not religious personally, but we went to church occasionally when I was growing up, and I used to enjoy looking at all the ornate decorations in a church. Now, as an adult looking back, all I see is a church full of gold and jewels, with a priest asking his congregation to empty their pockets. I have no respect whatsoever for organised religion.

Spirituality to me is something different. My interpretation of spirituality is the belief that we go on living after you die, but not in a religious way. To me religion is about god, our creator etc, and the two sometimes overlap, but are not the same :hug:

I agree with you to some extent. Religion on a personal level can be a wonderful thing and I totally support a persons right to practice whatever religion they believe in as long as they are not imposing it on other people and not harming anyone. It can bring a great deal of comfort to people and help people cope with life. I dont agree with it personally but if its non intrusive and helps a person cope with life I totally support their rights to practice religion.

Religion as an organisation though is a different matter. I know its strange to have such pro and anti views about the same subject matter, but in my mind there's a world of difference between religion on an individual basis, and organised religion. Organised religion is harmful, corrupt, hypocritical and abhorrent in my view. It stems from the days when religious law was the law of the land and was used to keep people under control, therefore the senior church members ensured that the religious rules were beneficial to them, basically religion was then what politics is now. Obviously times have changed but many religious rules still remain, and religious people follow them believing that they are the word of God, when in fact they are the word of senior clerics who wanted to control the masses. Organised religion creates hostility because your church tells you that non believers are going to hell, and the hypocricy is astounding!! I come from a catholic background although I am not religious personally, but we went to church occasionally when I was growing up, and I used to enjoy looking at all the ornate decorations in a church. Now, as an adult looking back, all I see is a church full of gold and jewels, with a priest asking his congregation to empty their pockets. I have no respect whatsoever for organised religion.

Spirituality to me is something different. My interpretation of spirituality is the belief that we go on living after you die, but not in a religious way. To me religion is about god, our creator etc, and the two sometimes overlap, but are not the same :hug:

It might possibly be that the reason you have such polar opposite views on the same topic is because they really are very different from each other. A persons christianity should be a way of life, and about that person. Not something to beat up on another person with, but something that changes who you are and how you chose to be in this world. Throughout history, organized religion is more about there being rules for how to behave, and punishment for misbehaviour.
For me it has to be on a heart level where it is about doing for others out of love, not obligation.

Wow what a post I've had a read but certainly staying out of this debate eeek

Wow what a post I've had a read but certainly staying out of this debate eeek

Actually Lise, I have to say I am really impressed with this thread, as I see everyone sharing, and no one yet has gotten so passionate that they have lashed out at anyone. It is amazing seeing everyone share on a thread with such a hot topic, and yet there is a real level of respect for each others views.

This thread is so respectful and such an intelligent conversation.

Good points, 'Chelle.

Religion and especially organized religion is a creation of man which means he's put his own spin on it...what he wants it to be.

I remember attending a church where women who were divorced couldn't sing a solo at a service. Another church where you had to wear a skirt or dress and couldn't wear makeup. ??? Those are rules of man...not of a god.

But spirituality...spirituality is your own personal relationship within your chosen belief system with your chosen deity (or no deity).

Again, my mother's people believed in the Great Spirit but worshipped the moon. Go figure.

Very insightful and fascinating thread.......

I think religion can be acquired by all, but spirituality is more elusive.

I'm going to be, perhaps, a little controversial now.

"Religion is the opium of the masses" was intended to criticise the role of religion. But was it, or is it, a necessary tool in controlling potential anarchy? Are people REALLY able to act altruistically without the fear of God? Just a thought.......

I think religion is all about fear, Dande.

I think religion controls people through fear. But I also think people find comfort in religion to quell their own fears.

I think religion is all about fear, Dande.

I think religion controls people through fear. But I also think people find comfort in religion to quell their own fears.

So, is it then a force for good, both for society and for the individual?

So, is it then a force for good, both for society and for the individual?

I think it can be. But think about some religions who use fear to enslave or subjugate their masses.

It is an unfortunate truth that a lot of these religions tend to target women in their extreme belief systems of subjugation and control.

Do I believe that all religious people are like that? No. Am I jaded? Yes.[/QUOTE]

Agree, completely xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have no religion.
As you all know I like to see evidence and proof; I have a science type brain!
I see the comfort that people's faith can bring them and I'm envious sometimes. In the dark watches of the night when I'm troubled with worry and angst it would be nice to call on a higher power for reassurance and a spiritual hug. Instead I turn to my humsbums in whom I have absolute faith.
I'm usually rewarded with a trump!
My friend Dee who is a lovely, lovely lady is a Christian says it doesn't matter that I don't believe in God; he believes in me anyway!
I was dragged week after week to C of E church as a child until the day I was 18. I'm baptised and confirmed and have taken communion innumerable times until I could stand the hypocrisy within myself no more.
I have no problem with people having a religion as long as it does no other person any harm.
I think people have an innate need to believe in something other than themselves because we have an innate sense of our own insignificance in relation to the immensity of the universe.

Latest posts

Back