Remission Cancer Client Re: Massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi there I just wanted to get advice regarding an existing client of mine, she use to have treatments done at salon, then sadly found out she had breast caner & was recieving chemotherapy for it. At the time- has expected -she was feeling stressed & tired and wanted to book in for a back massage & from when I was trained I remember being told to NOT to perform a massage on a cancer patient as it can spread it further through lymph nodes in the body.

A year later thankfully my client is alot healthier in remission hair has grown back & booking in for waxing again now. However today she phoned and wanted to book in for a massage i'm assuming it's ok just wanted to get advice do I need to be aware of certain oils used as the ones I use are pre-blended aromatherapy oils or I can blend it for your specefic needs. At the time I did make her aware of why I suggested not to the ahead with the treatment and she understood but now should be fine as anyone ever had cancer patients in remission any advie would be much apreciated a.s.a.p
thankyou in advane
kind regards
layla

Hi Layla, I volunteer at the local hospice, I perform Massage, Hand or Foot Massage, Reflexology and Aromatherapy, these clients are terminal, and I do have a particular routine to follow for Reflexology, as for massage I just do it gentle lots of effleurage and usually concentrate on the neck and lower back :) If you are worried then I would just use a carrier oil, but if you want to use oils, just follow as you have been doing, I.E no Rosemary for High BP etc. Just do a the massage for as long as the client can stand it :) Speak to her regularly ask her if the pressure is ok etc, good luck, let us know how you get on x

aww Thankyou so much thats made me feel better & think she really deserves a massage now that I know its safe to do so. So its okay to use deeper pressure on knots if she wants me to checking pressure with her during the 45mins treatment.
very helpful :)

I wouldn't do them as deep as you normally would, cos of the chemo she has had x But that's just my opinion

As your client is in remission and not terminally ill you need to get her to check with her doctor or your insurance will be invalid :hug:

As your client is in remission and not terminally ill you need to get her to check with her doctor or your insurance will be invalid :hug:

Definitely, goes without saying, sorry Layla should have mentioned this before :eek:

Yes agree with the others. Defo doctors note. Goes without saying! x

Hi Layla,

I have just done a Pamper Day for Breast Cancer Patients and, as others have said, as long as you have a doctors note it should be fine. All of our clients had finished their chemo. We did the upper part of the back, neck, shoulders, a facial and head massage. Don't do a deep massage, just light touch.

Our feedback from this day was fantastic and these ladies deserve a treat!!

HTH xx

can sum1 relle sue you for saying you cause they cancer to occur- my client said she checked with her doctor and he said its okay but in future I will get a doctors note then i just thought a year on i diddnt want to make my client feel negative about her massage experience but bringing up the cancer now shes well but thankyou 4 your advice will take it on board

can sum1 relle sue you for saying you cause they cancer to occur- my client said she checked with her doctor and he said its okay but in future I will get a doctors note then i just thought a year on i diddnt want to make my client feel negative about her massage experience but bringing up the cancer now shes well but thankyou 4 your advice will take it on board

It's always best to be safe than sorry. People can sue you for anything now days. If you cant back it up with written evidence then you have no proof to say you were in the right. Dont take your clients word for it. They often tell you what they want you to hear in order to get their treatment :hug: xxx

My consultant gave me a letter to state I could receive any treatment I wanted apart from deep tissue massage. If it makes you feel better, there should be no problem. I am a beauty therapist who has cancer. You can always adapt a treatment according to the clients wishes. Failing that always do a full consultation and sign a disclaimer.

Latest posts

Back