Removing Gel Tackiness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRL4YOU

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I am new to the SalonGeek and looking forward to chatting and learning from all of you beauty guru's!

I am currently training to become a certified Nail Technician in gel and acrylic. However, I have a quick question -

I have ran out of finishing wipe to remove the tacky off of the gel nail after it cures. I read online that this can be substituted with 99% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I ran out to a store today and purchased a large bottle.. However, after using it to remove the tacky (which it did), it left the nail feeling kind of grippy like rubber... feels as if it has not been fully cured.

Can someone advise? Is it true that 99% Isopropyl alcohol can be substituted? If not, is there anything else available rather than paying the cost for such a small bottle of gel wipe?

Thanks ladies :)

- Tee

Welcome to salon geek where we try to guide you along the professional path to success. So I have a question for you?

Why would you, already at this early stage of your future career, be wanting to substitute other products and chemicals for the ones recommended for the brand you use and by the brand you use, to remove the inhibition layer from your product. It makes no intelligent sense at all to do that, especially as you know nothing or very little about the chemistry behind your product or how it works. Already you have found out that scrimping a few pennies on cost can in fact be very dear.

Quality product Companies formulate products to AID you and to work successfully and synergistically within your system. My advice is to use the recommended products for your system.

For example. Many bottles list Acetone as an ingredient. Does that mean all acetone is the same? Does it mean that the acetone you buy from the chemist is the same as the acetone you buy from the hardware store is the same as we use as nail professionals? Indeed it is not, but they all say 100% Acetone on their labels. You have allot to learn ... I would not mess about at this stage with the recommended products for your brand.

Some companies do recommend 99% IPA to remove the inhibition layer, but other companies make their own formula for their wipes. If IPA was recommended to give the best results for your brand, I'm sure they would have suggested to use it.

Last edited:
Just to add to this thread. I used a finishing wipe designed to work along side my gel system, and it left a dull rubbery look and the shine disappeared.

I know I probably shouldn't (I was only experimenting on my own nails) I then took my Star Nails wipe off and did the same thing and the result was much better.

So here I have a situation where the recommended one to use wasn't good, and a different system worked so much better.

I read in one of the key beauty therapy text books (i think it was beauty therapy, the foundations (the yellow one lol!) ) that the sticky layer could be removed with acetone free polish remover.

The method being described in the book wasn't product specific though so it might be handy in an absolute emergency (I don't know though, I've never used it!) but yeah, generally, I'd go with the cleanser that is relevant to the product brand you are using.

A quality product will use an inhibition layer remover that brings up a beautiful shine once removed; if it doesn't, then the gel either lacks quality or you have used the wrong solution to remove it.

Thanks ladies for your reply. I usually do use the finishing wipe specifically with my gel system. However, in my situation this week... I have ran out and had a set to do that evening and was looking for a substitute. I'm not trying to be knowledgeable and cheat my way around the system. I am still learning, so sometimes there are tips and tricks so just thought i'd ask.

I will try the acetone free polish remover - it's just temporarily until my order arrives in the mail.

Thanks ladies

- T

Latest posts

Back