Removing pre-bonded extensions! Any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonJo

Reaction score
I'm trained in prebonded but I hate fitting them because I hate removing them and also because I'm too worried that if they are mistreated will they melt into one big ball and be impossible to remove?

Does anyone know of a good remover for keratin bonds? Or advice on how to remove them quicker and easier?!

I find it takes a while and is quite harsh on the clients hair?!

Any ideas?

SJ x

Vodka works pretty good

Plain acetone works well, but there is no getting away from it, it's the worst part of the job for me!

I'm trained in prebonded but I hate fitting them because I hate removing them and also because I'm too worried that if they are mistreated will they melt into one big ball and be impossible to remove?

Does anyone know of a good remover for keratin bonds? Or advice on how to remove them quicker and easier?!

Any ideas?

SJ x

Hi I use acetone to spray the bond and use pliers to break down the bond before gently combing - it is annoying but the best way I find

Seriously the Balmain remover gun was worth every penny. Made my job 10x easier!

hi there i find acetone terrible for removing bonds, it takes ages and its just not nice!!!

i use the lush-us bond remover, its quite oily but on a little dabber so theres no wastage or spillage onto the client. now down to 45mins to remove a full head with this and it just seems to dissolve the bonds so no tugging and only needs mayb one or 2 crunches with the pliers :)

you need to educate your clients to look after their extensions, i've never yet seen any melting into each other that i've applied! if you are confident and let your clients know exactly what to do, give them written aftercare instructions, (i also give my girls all the products they need on 1st appointment) then its up to them to follow the instructions

hth x

hi there i find acetone terrible for removing bonds, it takes ages and its just not nice!!!

i use the lush-us bond remover, its quite oily but on a little dabber so theres no wastage or spillage onto the client. now down to 45mins to remove a full head with this and it just seems to dissolve the bonds so no tugging and only needs mayb one or 2 crunches with the pliers :)

you need to educate your clients to look after their extensions, i've never yet seen any melting into each other that i've applied! if you are confident and let your clients know exactly what to do, give them written aftercare instructions, (i also give my girls all the products they need on 1st appointment) then its up to them to follow the instructions

hth x

I agree, I found acetone a nightmare so got the remover from lush us & it cuts the time down by half! X

I also much prefer an oil based bond remover to acetone, but if you are refitting the same day make sure you thoroughly cleanse the hair to get rid of all the oily residue.

HTH x

Thanks girls one more thing...

How do you maintain prebonded? Surely you can't remove them all and move them up..

Also I was told the glue is very hard to remove before 3 months so why do I do about maintenance?

Sorry if that was all babble quite hard to explain x

I agree, saves so much time.

Thanks girls one more thing...

How do you maintain prebonded? Surely you can't remove them all and move them up..

Also I was told the glue is very hard to remove before 3 months so why do I do about maintenance?

Sorry if that was all babble quite hard to explain x

when i do maintenance i go through all the hair, row at a time, check for matting/tangling/slippage. I only remove and replace hair if it is coming loose or feels to be in not so good condition, and i replace with fresh hair (i order a extra pack at fitting for this purpose) as the whole head will feel refreshed with even 10 new bonds and a good blow dry :)

i would only really rebond at around the 3 month point as the hair wont have grown down that much if your placement etc was good initially (i do maintenance at about 4-6 weeks)

i quite often do colour touch up or hilites at the maintenance appointment aswell but even if i dont a wash and blow dry doesnt go amiss especially if you've had to remove a few bonds.

I assume you've not long qualified? practice makes perfect, have you friends that would be models for you to practice maintenance on?

Love Balmain bond removal gel and for those who can afford - bond remover gun is great, agree with the extensionist.

I've been qualified for a year but haven't done it for a year as I was put off at the first removal... Sounds awful!

I was trained by lush us and there was not much said about how to do the maintenance cus it's different to micro rings so I was only really told about them. I think I'll write to lush us they are brilliant and they could probably send me some instructions.

Practise is what I need :) thanks girls all the advice is really helpful!

I've been qualified for a year but haven't done it for a year as I was put off at the first removal... Sounds awful!

I was trained by lush us and there was not much said about how to do the maintenance cus it's different to micro rings so I was only really told about them. I think I'll write to lush us they are brilliant and they could probably send me some instructions.

Practise is what I need :) thanks girls all the advice is really helpful!

yup get back in touch with them, i didnt train with them but i do use them for my budget hair and they are always helpful x

Does the balmain gun remove italian keratin? If so i will definitely get one!

I have extensions and find soaking the hair in conditioner then oil works better than acetone!

Any ideas?

SJ x
Maybe try another method?

Latest posts

Back