Remy hair/acid bath

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hair_addict_extensions

Reaction score
So I've been fitting extensions for a while now & I Interested to find out more in depth detail about the actual extensions. One thing I've come across that's stumped me a little is the extensions being sold as cuticle correct Remy hair! After doing a little research about the extension process one of which is the acid baths, which practically destroy the cuticles of the hair! As far as I'm aware I'd say 90% of extensions undergo this process as it's that & the silicone sprays that gives them the shiny sleek look. So is what where all using & selling totally incorrect & not actually Remy hair??? Been using some Russian hair that is so natural & has none of this process involved & it looks & feels & even cuts soo much nicer! Anyone help clear this confusion for me? 😊

Isn't an acid bath another way of describing the bleaching process?

And why about people who bleach their natural hair to a white blonde? Do they actually have any cuticles left? Maybe one of our hair dressing colleagues can jump in here xx

What I mean is, remy doesn't mean all the cuticles are intact as this is impossible, but means they all face the correct way.

The acid bath strips the cuticles & the silicone spray is used where the cuticles previously where. Giving the sleek shiny look, so surely these can't be classed as Remy hair as the cuticles have been stripped?

People who bleach their hair white blonde do have cuticles left.

And I believe it's only 100% human hair that goes through this process. Remy goes through a cleaning and colouring process. The cuticles are still intact on remy hair. Then of course you have virgin hair which is just cleaned.

Don't really rate PHW myself, bought hair from there for years lasts about 2 weeks, but thanks for the blog :)

Don't really rate PHW myself, bought hair from there for years lasts about 2 weeks, but thanks for the blog :)

Well they don't have their own hair brand all they are is a middle man really. So if you bought their hair it wasn't theirs

Well they don't have their own hair brand all they are is a middle man really. So if you bought their hair it wasn't theirs

I know they don't have they're own brand but if someone buys hair off them they'd would say it's from PHW not style icon etc, so what I'm saying is the hair I've bought from PHW hasn't been great, matts & tangles after a few washes, similar to what happens after hair has been acid bathed.

People who bleach their hair white blonde do have cuticles left.

Can I ask if the bleaching causes them to lose cuticles?

The acid bath strips the cuticles & the silicone spray is used where the cuticles previously where. Giving the sleek shiny look, so surely these can't be classed as Remy hair as the cuticles have been stripped?

As far as I'm aware, acid baths are only used to strip the cuticles on none remy hair which is then coated in silicone. You don't need to strip the cuticles of remy hair as they're all in the same direction so won't tangle. The stripping of non remy hair cuticles is done to prevent them tangling.

Try it with some spare remy hair you have, cut the tips off and turn half the hair upside down and mix it all in. You will have made none remy hair as you have changed the direction of the cuticles... Should in theory tangle more now.

As far as I'm aware, acid baths are only used to strip the cuticles on none remy hair which is then coated in silicone. You don't need to strip the cuticles of remy hair as they're all in the same direction so won't tangle. The stripping of non remy hair cuticles is done to prevent them tangling.

Try it with some spare remy hair you have, cut the tips off and turn half the hair upside down and mix it all in. You will have made none remy hair as you have changed the direction of the cuticles... Should in theory tangle more now.

Ok thanks, so when you get fresh hair & it's all silky & shiny & soft, I mean it's like overly nice lol. Is this different products they're using to give this finish? Or is this the silicone? What's a way to tell? I know the test for human hair but is there a way to tell the hair is Remy or do we just trust what where being sold? Would it not be easy to use non Remy hair/acid bath & silicone it & sell it as Remy?

I know they don't have they're own brand but if someone buys hair off them they'd would say it's from PHW not style icon etc, so what I'm saying is the hair I've bought from PHW hasn't been great, matts & tangles after a few washes, similar to what happens after hair has been acid bathed.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. You would say pauls hair world. But the brands to blame.

Can I ask if the bleaching causes them to lose cuticles?

It depends how damaged their hair is, they're more likely to break than completely come off. That's not to say they can't loose cuticles because they do, but you'd notice reallllll damage of they were to fall off.

Ok thanks, so when you get fresh hair & it's all silky & shiny & soft, I mean it's like overly nice lol. Is this different products they're using to give this finish? Or is this the silicone? What's a way to tell? I know the test for human hair but is there a way to tell the hair is Remy or do we just trust what where being sold? Would it not be easy to use non Remy hair/acid bath & silicone it & sell it as Remy?

The silicone washes off that's my understanding anyway. So none remy hair becomes unmanageable after a few washes as all the silicone washes off. So best for cheap clip ins not for actually bonding in to the hair.

I think they just press the hair at the factories, I'm guessing now though, probably some sort of product on it.

Have you had a problem with remy hair? I know what you mean about the extensions looking nicer when they're new but apart from the odd bad batch the ones I have used have lasted for many months. None remy hair only lasts a few washes before becoming completely unmanageable

It depends how damaged their hair is, they're more likely to break than completely come off. That's not to say they can't loose cuticles because they do, but you'd notice reallllll damage of they were to fall off.

So it would be really obvious if you had hair extensions that had their cuticles stripped? (Once silicone had worn off)

I'm not sure if I believe half of what's said about hair extensions and cuticles being stripped to be honest. Can hair hold a colour without cuticles? I'm no hair dresser but think i have seen threads on here talking about how different colours and semi are absorbed by the hair and damaged cuticles affecting this process?

Hair dressing geeks saying things like ... "If the cuticle is completely blown it won't hold a colour" I'm not sure what that means but makes you wonder.

I was also told by a supplier that if hair didn't have its cuticles it would be really stretchy like bubble gum.

I have also seen a genuine russian hair supplier selling "silicone spray" to make your extensions brand new again. Miss lady loxx?

I've myself bought what's been sold to me as Remy hair for it to become unmanageable after a few weeks. Years ago before I became a part of the industry & was just a customer. So I'm thinking could this have been non Remy hair being sold as Remy? I see what your saying about it holding the colour but it's the cortex that holds the colour & the cuticle that protects so I'm not entirely sure what happens to the colour if the cuticles are striped away it prob wouldn't hold. Silicone spray that is interesting will have to look that one up. I have seen "bleach baths" being using to restore extensions ?

So it would be really obvious if you had hair extensions that had their cuticles stripped? (Once silicone had worn off)

I'm not sure if I believe half of what's said about hair extensions and cuticles being stripped to be honest. Can hair hold a colour without cuticles? I'm no hair dresser but think i have seen threads on here talking about how different colours and semi are absorbed by the hair and damaged cuticles affecting this process?

Hair dressing geeks saying things like ... "If the cuticle is completely blown it won't hold a colour" I'm not sure what that means but makes you wonder.

I was also told by a supplier that if hair didn't have its cuticles it would be really stretchy like bubble gum.

Nope, no cuticle, no colour retention. Yeah I believe if it didn't have cuticles it'd be very damaged. I think they do coat it in silicone though, just with the cuticles intact. If they coat it in silicone it doesn't matter whether it's cuticle correct or not because the cuticles can't catch on each other and get tangled because there's a smooth silicone to protect them.

Latest posts

Back